Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:02 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times

Advertisements

I do see that merit of not blowing off Tornado Warnings. But tornado watches are another matter, which people new to the area (or country) might not be familiar with. Watches just mean the weather conditions are favorable for tornadoes to form, not that one has been sighted. Do sirens go off for watches as well as warnings? I can't remember.

Part of my lack of action is because I have 4 cats and 2 dogs. It is easy to take the dogs to shelter, but harder with the cats and after spending my first 5 years in my house herding everyone to the basement storage room every time a siren went off, now I just watch the sky and if it looks serious, I take cover.

I suppose going to the National Weather Service website would be a good option too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 04:44 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
i think we usually monitored the weather and sky before heading downstairs, though i'd have to admit at our Defo home it was finished so it wasnt the worst place to hang out for awhile. I do remember watching out a window and seeing a funnel cloud once (across town, only touched down in a field near the HS), my first thought was "dang it where's the camcorder" then i realized "well maybe i should be downstairs now" lol. And i'd still see neighbors out in their drive, beverage in hand, pointing to the sky.

Being in SC we do get hurricane preparedness specials and programs, but frankly we live 2 hours from the coast. If a hurricane is strong enough to come this far, there's a lot to worry about. Sounded like Hugo in 89 hit SC hard, and the path of the storm itself tracked thru the eastern states due north. But most inland damage was supposedly from tornados spawned by the storm and not the 'hurricane'.
And as i type this, i realize my statement that we live 2 hours from the coast could lend a false sense of security...... never to old to learn something.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM

47 posts, read 146,939 times
Do sirens go off for watches as well as warnings?

Should just be for warnings, unless things have changed. Gosh, if the sirens went off for watches too, you'd spend half the summer in the basement

Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I remember the 06/17/1992 F3 tornado in Mcfarland, because I volunteered at the Red Cross that day and was at the scene. Lots of damaged homes and 30 injuries in that one. It was probably Dane County's worst tornado during the 10 years I lived in Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison