Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 PM

5 posts, read 11,213 times

Advertisements

Hey all, my wife and I are looking to move from Madison to somewhere in between Madison and Janesville. I'll be commuting to Janesville; she to Madison. We have two kids, 3 and 1 y/o, and are looking to buy a 4+ BR house on several acres of land. If anything we'd like to be a bit closer to Madison than Janesville. Schools are a consideration for us, although we might be going the Montessori / Waldorf? / home schooling route.

Suggestions?

We've peaked looked at Oregon, Brooklyn, McFarland, and Stoughton. Ideally we'd find country living while still being close to some small town conveniences and then 20-30 minutes from Madison.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
What price range are you looking in? You will find the closer you are to Madison the more pricey housing becomes. Houses that big with acreage within 15-20 miles of Madison starting in the low 400K +.

Oregon and Stoughton are the best deals around for some reason, at least that has always been the case in the past. McFarland tends to be more expensive because it is convenient to Madison.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Stoughton is a great little community; if I didn't live in Madison, I'd very likely want to settle there. Great sense of community, strong local culture, plenty of activities, and a beautiful place besides. The schools there are quite good, though of course they fight the funding battle like most school districts do.

We've got several friends who live in Oregon, and they all seem very happy. There's an historic district with wonderful old homes near the downtown area, and a lot of big new development in the outskirts of town. No idea what housing prices are like there, though I'd suspect that the newer developments may be increasing in cost as Oregon is perceived as a more desirable community.

McFarland isn't bad, but it just doesn't seem to have much of its own sense of identity. It's as if the community has decided it's just going to be a suburb and no more. I've never heard about anything going on there that makes me think "oh, wow, how cool, I'd really like to check that out." Despite that (or maybe because of it?), Megan is correct in describing property values there as higher than other nearby areas.

If you're willing to look just a bit farther away from Madison, you can get a whole lot of bang for your buck in Evansville. Housing prices there are probably about 2/3 what a comparable house would set you back in Madison, and it's a really nice little community with a surprising amount going for it. A colleague of mine lives there and commutes to downtown Madison; she's a very conservative (i.e. slow) driver, and her daily commute is around 35 minutes unless the weather is really awful.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
My wife and I have friends in both Oregon and Evansville. Oregon doesn't seem to have the same "cool" small town identity that Evansville carry's. Evansville does have a farm community feel to it. I've always enjoyed visiting real estate websites and using the mapping tools to search for homes. You can send me a direct message if you'd like the link to one site in particular.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:10 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,796 times
As mentioned above, Evansville or Oregon would be good options for you to explore. If you can stay outside of Dane County, property taxes likely will be lower.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:02 AM

5 posts, read 11,213 times
Thanks for all the info and advice guys. We'll be checking out Evansville, Stougton, Oregon ....

Old 10-11-2013, 07:13 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Ragnar hit on the taxes factor which they suggested might be lower outside of Dane County. As a result, I would suggest that Fort Atkinson, just to the east in Jefferson County, be given consideration by you.
It's a decent-sized town of about 12,000 population & U.S. 12 has been nicely improved between it & Madison which gives a great comuting route on into Madison.
Additionally, state 26 is a good route for the somewhat shorter commute into Janesville from Fort.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
A nomination for Edgerton/Newville area, right on Lake Koshkonong and great freeway access and cheap land and home prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison