Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:12 PM

11 posts, read 55,802 times

Advertisements

I would like to know everyone's honest, and somewhat educated (or informed) opinions on which schools (mainly middle and high schools) are the best in the area. All of Dane county, but mainly around Madison. If anyone could be specific, that would be great. I know there are good school districts, but I would like to know any specifics that anyone may have on any particular school (high and middle). Are there any that stand out based on outstanding academics and extracurriculars? I really appreciate any and all opinions, comments, or even hearsay. ;-) Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 02:04 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,399,354 times
West High School in Madison is one of the best in the area. Kids who go there score consistantly well on national tests, the majority go on to college and there are a lot of activities to challenge them intellectually. It is one of the few schools where the "cool" kids do forensics and debate.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:53 PM

West High School

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
I was always told "Middleton" has the best schools. Does this area have its own High/Middle school? Is there a Middle school thats top rated ? We have an opportunity to move there next year and moving a middle schooler is a worry for me.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Middleton has very good schools as well. As does Waunakee. One advantage of a smaller school is there is not as much competition in terms of getting into extra curriculars, the down side is there are few extra curricular activities to participate in sometimes. It is also easier to get lost in the crowd in a bigger school. If my child were one who is easily intimidated I would go with a smaller school, otherwise I'd go with West.

I would also like to add that Lodi HS is horrible. The kids are out of control and run the school. The academic expect ions are very low. HS students there produced lower quality work than the 5th graders I worked with in Madison.

Unfortunately middle school is just a hard time in a kid's life. I haven't heard of many people even talk about middle schools either way.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Middleton has very good schools as well. As does Waunakee. One advantage of a smaller school is there is not as much competition in terms of getting into extra curriculars, the down side is there are few extra curricular activities to participate in sometimes. It is also easier to get lost in the crowd in a bigger school. If my child were one who is easily intimidated I would go with a smaller school, otherwise I'd go with West.

I would also like to add that Lodi HS is horrible. The kids are out of control and run the school. The academic expect ions are very low. HS students there produced lower quality work than the 5th graders I worked with in Madison.

Unfortunately middle school is just a hard time in a kid's life. I haven't heard of many people even talk about middle schools either way.
Thank you Megan, I do think he is one to do better in a smaller school. I have even thought of a private school for him if we make this move, but it sounds like some of the public schools are very good.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:20 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,650 times
Middleton has great schools and is a very nice place to live.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:16 PM

11 posts, read 55,802 times
Thanks for your input, everyone. Hopefully more people will chime in! One of my children will be entering 8th grade, and the middle school he is in now (Southern MD/D.C. metro area) is a terrible environment for him. Some of the teachers are good and caring, but it is a rough crowd of kids. A lot of gang wannabees, fighting, and petty criminal activity. I want him in a much more wholesome atmosphere, without having to send him to a private school, since we really can't afford it. I realize middle school isn't the best place for "wholesome", but as close as possible would be wonderful. It's got to beat the school he's in now! Btw, what are your opinions on Sun Prairie schools? As far as education and atmosphere (kinds of kids, kid-control, etc.). Sun Prairie is still a front runner when it comes to choosing a home for us. Thanks everyone!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:14 AM

4 posts, read 19,328 times
I am currently a high shcool student at west high. I have attended two private schools for elementry and then Hamilton for middle school. From what I have heard through my friends that filtered into west from other middle schools and other friends from other highschools I believe I can be pretty objective with my opinion. There are 7 highschools in Madison- West, East, Laffolette, Memorial, Middleton, Shabaz, and (Edgewood private). East is locatted in a less develloped side of town with many more low income families. I attended a summer course there and strongly disliked the enviroment and students. Every highschool will have their good students but east I believe just can't stand up to the others. Laffolette is located in a similar lower income neighborhood, and also has the lowest grade of education of the 7 (a student in the top 5% at laffolette would be around the top 10-20% at west). Memorial and Middleton are both good schools, however the student body at both can be described as extemely "cliquy". West has the highest test scores, is an extremly open enviroment, has a fabulous science and art program, and has some amazing teachers. I am going to disregard Shabaz and Edgewood, just know that Shabaz is an "alternatve" school, and edgewood is your classic prep school. I know less about middle schools, but I personally had a fabulous education at Hamilton. It can definatly be considered wholesome. I never felt threatened by other students, just teased.<---same goes for West. From one to the other there is less contrast though. I hoped this helped, any more questions?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 9,453 times
We moved here in the middle of my daughter's 7th grade year. We chose Madison Country Day School and could not be happier. My daughter loves the school, has made friends, and is excelling academically. This is by far the best school in Madison. I highly reccommend it to any parent who cares about quality education for their child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison