Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,370 times

Advertisements

I second the emotion on the winters here, after enduring them for the last five years as a North Carolina transplant. I like the city of Madison (particularly the west side) and its people a great deal -- but the long, brutal winters have become a deal-breaker for me. (Then again, at age 66, most aggravating impacts are deal-breakers.) Notwithstanding Madison's awful winters, the city itself has much to offer, including a strong, steady economy; rich cultural and entertainment options; and access to lots of educational opportunities at UW and other institutions. In short, if you can stand the snow and cold, you can find an enjoyable lifestyle here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 04:59 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymon View Post
I second the emotion on the winters here, after enduring them for the last five years as a North Carolina transplant. I like the city of Madison (particularly the west side) and its people a great deal -- but the long, brutal winters have become a deal-breaker for me. (Then again, at age 66, most aggravating impacts are deal-breakers.) Notwithstanding Madison's awful winters, the city itself has much to offer, including a strong, steady economy; rich cultural and entertainment options; and access to lots of educational opportunities at UW and other institutions. In short, if you can stand the snow and cold, you can find an enjoyable lifestyle here.
The OP is in Chicago. It is not significantly different for her, weather-wise.

If we were discussing 3 plus hours north of Madison, then yes

Old 05-12-2018, 07:00 PM

346 posts, read 464,242 times
The road biking (NOT the mundane bike trails) are second to none! Get out west of town, near Cross Plains, Mazo, Blue Mounds, Vermont, etc., and you have sheer biking Nirvana.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:45 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
My sister lives in the home we grew up in - in Sunset Village - just east of Hilldale.

Estimated value is probably $330K - for 4 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms and 1650 square feet. House was built in 1950.

Her property taxes are $6000 a year. If you're looking at a 500K home be prepared to be taxed at least 10K.

Taxes in Madison are very high.

I left Madison - over 40 years ago. If I had to move back - I would move to the area just west of Hilldale - near what was Van Hise School (I don't know it's new name forgive me). Ranch style homes with large yards and great access to everywhere.

Madison is a very bus and bike-friendly city. I don't think I've lived anywhere like it since leaving.

We are out West - and will be retiring to an area where it does not snow...... but that does not diminish my love for Madison.... I married a Californian and it's time for us to not have to shovel snow.

Last edited by mlb; 05-12-2018 at 08:58 PM..

Old 05-12-2018, 08:56 PM
mlb

Another price point. My parents sold our childhood home to my sister in the late 70's and moved further west in the Hillfarms..... I just zillowed that house - on Lafayette Drive - and the estimated value is $472K.

For 2000 square feet. 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms.

In 2010 it sold for 100K less.

Property taxes are 10K.

OUCH.

Last edited by mlb; 05-12-2018 at 09:10 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 02:44 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Another price point. My parents sold our childhood home to my sister in the late 70's and moved further west in the Hillfarms..... I just zillowed that house - on Lafayette Drive - and the estimated value is $472K.

For 2000 square feet. 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms.

In 2010 it sold for 100K less.

Property taxes are 10K.

OUCH.
Keep in mind that the OP would be paying more if her family opts for a similarly priced home in a suburb of Chicago with comparable schools. Madison may provide a better value in the long run given what’s happening in the state of IL.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:38 AM
mlb

Thanks......not aware of Chicago prices.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:48 AM

74 posts, read 130,832 times
My family made a similar move about a year and a half ago (from Ravenswood), though our budget was smaller. A couple observations/suggestions:

-I second the Hill Farms suggestion that others have made. Nice, updated homes, decent sized lots and for someone with an urban mindset, you'd probably be walkable to Hilldale. Also, there's an area adjacent to Hilldale that is set to be a huge mixed use development project. The City of Madison in some respects is talking about the Hilldale/Hill Farms area as almost a 2nd downtown as Madison continues to grow. Madison Yards development.

-You'll sacrifice 'charm/character' some probably, but if Hill Farms is attractive, consider adjacent neighborhoods like Midvale Heights or Sunset Village. Most homes are 50's ranches, but updated homes, and many with 4BR, are in the $400-450k range. We live in Midvale Heights with a toddler - can walk to 4 parks within 3-4 blocks, a library, gym, etc. We still drive a lot more than we did in Chicago, but knew that would be a tradeoff almost anywhere we landed in Madison.

-The market is insane right now, most decent homes don't last more than a couple days.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:48 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMHawk View Post

-The market is insane right now, most decent homes don't last more than a couple days.

This is very true; good homes can go before you arrive for an open house. I tend to suggest to those relocating to rent a year to get a good feel for what area they do in fact want to put down roots. But in a hot housing market, you can get into a bidding war on a home while you are out of state, and deal with overpaying or grabbing something that may just be "ok" as that's all that's available. And at these prices one should be happy with their purchase.
Sure selling a home can go pretty well but then you are stuck in the same buying position not to mention potentially paying realtor fees quicker than planned.

Renting long term doesnt work for many, but for a year, it may save more hassle then a couple "pack/unpack" days that would take place.

Just my .02 of course.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:54 PM

18 posts, read 19,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMHawk View Post

Thanks for your thoughts! This must be why I'm not seeing ANY houses that I love in our price range in Madison. Waaaaaaaaaaah. We've started to look at northshore Milwaukee also, primarily because the housing market seems to be much larger and we are finding beautiful, interesting homes in our price range...not to mention a larger job market for me (executive assistant).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison