Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,357 times

Advertisements

I'm about to get a non-temporary job pinned down, so I'll finally have the stability to sign a lease. I don't know my wage yet, but I think I'll be able to afford up to $750 a month based off my current wage. (That might change when I get an offer.) I'm looking to get a studio/1bed that is in a safe/clean area. I'd like something close-ish (10-15 mins) to the west side mall because my job is close to there.

I'm open to any suggestions or advice for complexes/apartment buildings or neighborhoods that are a good place to start.

So, in short:
- studio or 1bed/1bath with a rough cap at $750 a month
- 10-15 mins from west side mall (though I'd expand my range out to Verona area or something similar)
- safe, or close to a safe area
- clean
- quiet(er)
- younger (I'm a 22yo male)
- preferably near some natural areas as I grew up in the country
- no east side, and would prefer to avoid downtown and college students

I know I won't be able to get everything I want because I'm not made of money, but I'm clueless about this and I'll be looking for an apartment in full by the end of next week once I know my salary. Just want to get a head start.

Thanks a lot! I'm really looking forward to finally living on my own, and want to find some place to be comfortable in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 07:09 PM

1,246 posts, read 825,635 times
I haven't lived there so can't vouch for it, but maybe check out Heather Downs.

$750 won't get you too far on the far west side. Verona will likely be more costly, not less. Maybe Waunakee?

Old 07-25-2019, 01:51 PM

8 posts, read 6,798 times
https://www.apartments.com/the-carol...on-wi/hwkghh3/

I lived in these apartments when I moved here in 2004, $650/month back then. Housing costs in Madison have balloned over the last 5+years. If there's a studio at the Carolinas, that might be an option. They were older but clean and somewhat quiet and in a decent location. Alot of younger people lived there with some college students, but it wasn't rowdy at all.

I agree with the above poster, if your cap is around $750, outside of madison may be a good option. Try Cross Plains (Nice smaller city 10 minutes west), Verona, maybe Fitchburg.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2019, 01:55 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Yeah, that $750/mo budget on the near west side is unrealistic when you're competing with roughly 20,000 students looking for off-campus housing in that part of town. You'll need to up your budget, look elsewhere, or consider a roommate arrangement.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:57 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renoir2 View Post
https://www.apartments.com/the-carol...on-wi/hwkghh3/

I lived in these apartments when I moved here in 2004, $650/month back then. Housing costs in Madison have balloned over the last 5+years. If there's a studio at the Carolinas, that might be an option. They were older but clean and somewhat quiet and in a decent location. Alot of younger people lived there with some college students, but it wasn't rowdy at all.

I agree with the above poster, if your cap is around $750, outside of madison may be a good option. Try Cross Plains (Nice smaller city 10 minutes west), Verona, maybe Fitchburg.

Good luck!
Verona and Fitchburg are mostly the same (higher) pricing now with the EPIC campus nearby. Some of the less desirable buildings peppered in parts of Madison’s south and sw side at his price point may not appeal to the OP. YMMV

Old 07-25-2019, 03:13 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
I’d look around Hilldale. You can probably find a studio for $750/month in an older building. Otherwise, there are options off of Mineral Point between Midvale and West Town. Sheboygan Ave. used to be pretty cheap, but it probably will be more expensive when they start with Madison Yards later this year.

Overall, $750 isn’t too low, you just have to avoid the new high rises. Also, a lot the older/dodgy type of places might not be listed online. It’s best to drive around the area and look for the “for rent” signs.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:16 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
I too would have suggested areas near Hilldale as an option. Probably better than some closer to West Towne.
Not meant to be a blanket statement but one may find that more affordable or cheaper rent comes with a less than desirable location based on crime etc. And that is unfortunate for anyone wanting to rent.
So yes drive around, see some areas and even research apt reviews and city crime maps.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:46 AM

I’m having a hard time understanding where a studio for $750 exists in Madison in a desirable area. Hilldale is pricey too.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:09 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
I’m having a hard time understanding where a studio for $750 exists in Madison in a desirable area. Hilldale is pricey too.
Near West Town.

https://www.abodo.com/madison-wi?property=3456631

https://www.abodo.com/madison-wi?property=1142

Near Hilldale.

https://www.abodo.com/madison-wi?property=2058793

You just have to look at older buildings. Hilldale is luxury now, but everything off of Sheboygan Ave. was there long before. The prices haven't caught up quite yet.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Near West Town.

https://www.abodo.com/madison-wi?property=3456631

https://www.abodo.com/madison-wi?property=1142

Near Hilldale.

https://www.abodo.com/madison-wi?property=2058793

You just have to look at older buildings. Hilldale is luxury now, but everything off of Sheboygan Ave. was there long before. The prices haven't caught up quite yet.
Abodo links are not shareable.

I don’t see anything online in the OP’s price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison