Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 AM

8 posts, read 25,475 times

Advertisements

Work is sending me to a seminar at the university for two weeks in June, what are some things that I should check out while visiting your city? Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 28,719 times
Definitely the farmer's market on Saturday mornings, around capital square. Take a stroll on lakeshore path around Lake Mendota, Monona Terrace on Lake Monona has some cool architecture (it was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright), I haven't been but my friends tell me the Vilas Zoo is decent (and free I believe), State St. has lots of good restaurants and bars (try some Ian's macaroni and cheese pizza, sounds gross but it's fabulous) -it's also fun to laugh at all the drunk people walking around down there at night. At Memorial Union, you can enjoy a great lake view, good ice cream, a pitcher of beer, and a lot of times they have free live music. Ella's Deli is not on campus, but it is definitely a fun and interesting place to eat. You can even take a spin on their carousel. The rest of Madison is basically just your average city, but that's just my take. I know a lot more about the campus area as I am a student.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,282 times
For good restaurants check out this site:
Food Fight, Inc. | Restaurant Group | Madison, Wisconsin

Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 25,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartypants431 View Post
Monona Terrace on Lake Monona has some cool architecture (it was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright)
Close but not quite. FLW had many designs for a similar building, but the Monona Terrace that was finally built was inspired by FLW but designed by another architect from FLW's Taliesin studios. The Unitarian Meeting House, however, was designed by FLW and is located on the border of Madison and Shorewood Hills, on University Bay Drive (across from the UW Hospitals/Children's Hospital).

The Vilas Zoo is still free.

While you're on the Capital Square, check out the Capitol Dome Observation Deck (it should be open by then) for some spectacular views of the surrounding area. The UW Geology Museum---located in Weeks' Hall, also is a worthwhile stop, and also is free.

The UW Carillon Tower on Bascom Hill has weekly (free) concerts, Sundays from 3-4PM. During that time, the tower is open for the public to look around and watch the musician playing it. You can climb all the way up to the bells (more great views of the surrounding lakes and landscape), but beware it does get a little loud.

Watch out for construction though, there's plenty around the campus (and Madison) right now.

Last edited by uwisguy; 04-30-2008 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Be careful. My work sent me to Madison for a week of training and I ended up moving there 2 years later. The place may have that effect on you.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBux View Post
Work is sending me to a seminar at the university for two weeks in June, what are some things that I should check out while visiting your city? Thanks for any info.
If you're into beer... stop by the Great Dane for some of the best house-brewed beer in the Midwest. A Saturday afternoon in Capital Brewery's biergarten with a good book or magazine is also a quality use of time IMO. Maybe you can catch a band there on a Friday or Saturday evening, perhaps even an oompa band if you're lucky.

If not, chances are there will be a concert on Saturday night at the UW Union terrace, which overlooks Lake Mendota.

Take a drive and check out the impossibly cute Swiss-Chalet-dotted town of New Glarus. Some good scenery along the way. And again, if you're into beer, do a tour of the New Glarus Brewery, one of the most respected breweries in the country among beer afionados (seriously -- people make pilgrimages from hundreds of miles around just to visit the brewery).

Take a drive to Mount Horeb and visit the mustard museum. Afterward, stop by for a pint at the Grumpy Troll brewpub.

Stroll State Street in the early evening before it turns into Party Mania and bop into some of the unique indie shops.

Take a drive through the Sauk Prairie area for some of the best scenery in the Midwest. Stop by the Wollersheim Winery while you're there and pick up some of their wonderful wines -- perhaps their Port, or their Riesling... or River Gold which is a fine dessert wine.

Spend the weekend in Chicago.

Last edited by Drover; 05-03-2008 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: additional stuff

Old 05-03-2008, 06:18 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
I was about to suggest the same, spend a weekend in Chicago. Check out kayaking, its always fun. Take a walk down the Blvd there and check out some of the cool shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison