Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:46 PM

295 posts, read 546,967 times

Advertisements

After many trips to Madison and meeting people from Madison and just listening to people talk who are from Madison I have come to the conclusion that I hate Madison and the people. Every time I went to Madison to have a good time my options are red cup parties or State street which is college city. As a 25yr old male looking for a classy club, lounge or cigar bar I have no choice but to take a loss on the night and drive back to the Mil. The people in Madison are so full of themselves and why?

So Lets get this straight
-200,000 people in Madison
-1 county in metro Madison
-400,000 country and suburbs and madison combined.
-Does madison even have suburbs?
-Madison has no nightlife, you won't run into any celebs here.
-8 suburbs, not 51 like Milwaukee.
-No traffic problems so why do you even have a traffic report?
-No Pro sports teams
-No skyscrapers
-No Million dollar condos
-Do you have an airport? or do you still fly out of Milwaukee still?
-Not diverse and too many of one political party.
-No unique neighborhoods it all looks the same.
-The only entertainment area is downtown not different neighborhoods.
-1 homicide in 5yrs and the whole town goes into a panic.
-Do people from Chicago come up to Madison for a weekend for a good time...no.
-You drive too slow
-No good restaurants
-No international neighborhoods(Russian, Polish, Serbian, Jewish)
-Face it, your not a big city so stop trying act like you live in one, 5 mins and your out in cornfields.

I'm sick of Madison trying to compete or even compare itself to Milwaukee, that's like Milwaukee trying to compare itself to Chicago. Which in fairness Milw is more like Chicago than Madison is like Milw.

Do you agree or why do you disagree?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM

286 posts, read 1,150,932 times
Here's an idea. Why don't you find something you like somewhere and report back about that? That way you would come across as a nice person.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 PM

50 posts, read 198,021 times
If I agree with you, will it make you happier?
It should be some interesting reason why you keep coming to Madison... not enough money to live in Manhattan?

BTW, I like Chicago (that is very unusual according to many of my large-metro-loving friends), but Milwaukee is IMO a piece of .... by any means.
... and there is no point for Madison to compete with Milwaukee, Madison is the capital ... with direct flights to Washington, DC and Vegas.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Madison is certainly not everybody's cup of tea, but you come across as angry because Madison isn't what some people think it is. Why does this matter to you since you don't live here or even like the place?

And trust me, nobody in Madison aspires to be like Milwaukee. Maybe Minneapolis (in their dreams), but not Milwaukee. Also, many of your assumptions about Madison are stereotypes that people from major cities have, and Milwaukee is no major city compared to Chicago...it is like a big version of Madison. So why the blind assumptions and over generalizations? The base of what you wrote is true, but you come across as less credible when you exagerate on all fronts about the "truths".

I think it is fine you don't like Madison for what it isn't, but if you looked at it for what it is, you might come across as more informative and helpful to people reading and trying to find out what the city is like.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 55,786 times
I can't say too much, since I don't live there yet, but many of the points you have negatively stated are precisely why so many people want to live in Madison.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM

395 posts, read 1,861,334 times
The OP reads more like flaming to me then a serious argument.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee Ronnie View Post
The OP reads more like flaming to me then a serious argument.

MR I think you are right. Just a troll trying to stir things up. On the internet you can't gauge the face or the voice.
Time to ignore OP.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:21 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times
I spent several summers living there so I do have an opinion. The only scene of action is on state street. Once your off state street there is nothing either east or west. Its geared toward a young scene so after you reach your late twenties its like going to a post teeny bopper community. On the plus side there are great outdoor coffee shops in the summer and the lakes are beautiful. I like to visit but would never live there.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I spent several summers living there so I do have an opinion. The only scene of action is on state street. Once your off state street there is nothing either east or west. Its geared toward a young scene so after you reach your late twenties its like going to a post teeny bopper community. On the plus side there are great outdoor coffee shops in the summer and the lakes are beautiful. I like to visit but would never live there.

Angorlee, respectfully, you have completely missed Madison. Madison is alive and thriving.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Thanks a bunch for this substantive thread. What a wonderful service you have performed for the city-data community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison