Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2023, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 726 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm moving to Madison Wisconsin in March 2024. I have questions. Please answer honestly the questions you can. Much appreciated.

1) where are the safest neighborhoods? What are the best apartment complexes?
2) are the winters really that harsh? How so or how not so?
3) what are summers like?
4) how does humidity affect winter and summer?
5) what is lake effect like?
6) are the people friendly? Warm welcoming to newcomers? What's the vibe of the people?
7) who are the most trusting vehicle mechanics in town?
8) what other info can you offer me?

I'm super grateful to any and all input. Hope you're having a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 06:49 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Just my experience with Wisconsin-

Winters can get unpleasantly cold....Learn about safe driving in snow, what to buy to de-ice sidewalks, etc.

Summers are heavenly.

Most people are super sweet. There is the odd occasional nasty person.

Alcoholism is a problem there.

There are decent shade tree mechanics there.

Years ago I almost relocated there for work but a chance development changed that. I loved Wisco.

Higher education is very affordable there, as opposed to many other states.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:05 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post

Winters can get unpleasantly cold....Learn about safe driving in snow, what to buy to de-ice sidewalks, etc.

Summers are heavenly.

Years ago I almost relocated there for work but a chance development changed that. I loved Wisco.

I check temps and dewpoints for Madison daily in summer from Massachusetts, and it can often get hot....and muggy! Same with Minneapolis

Old 12-13-2023, 11:13 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post

Summers are heavenly.

Speaking of trees, one underrated positive quality of Madison is that almost every residential street and most, even in industrial or commercial areas, are tree-lined. It is very lush and green in the summer and fall and makes a lot of other cities feel a bit sparse and barren in comparison.

Last edited by Drewjdeg; 12-13-2023 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-14-2023, 11:00 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
I lived there in the early 1990s, so I don't have any current info on specific apartments or mechanics. Assuming you're working, I'd try to live on the same side of town as your office location. If you don't need to commute anywhere, I'll toss out the area south of the beltway as a place to consider (for safety). I have friends who have lived in Arbor Hills (in a house) for a long time. There's also Fitchburg. Here's a crime map FWIW... https://communitycrimemap.com/?address=Madison,%20WI

I found the summers to be pretty nice. The house I lived in did not have a/c, which I wouldn't recommend. I expect all the newer apartment have air conditioning.

Well yes, winters are pretty cold. You can make your life more pleasant by getting some good cold-weather clothing and footwear, and if you have a car it helps to have a garage for it (no scraping ice of the car windows in the morning). To my knowledge there's no significant "lake effect".

I found it a fun place to live, although I was a student at the university so it's a bit different experience than if you're working.

Last edited by hikernut; 12-14-2023 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-21-2023, 11:33 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
My grandson has lived there for a couple of years, since college. He hated his commute to work for the first year, but now he lives closer. I don’t think he gets to socialize much, because his company works him like a dog and he also travels for work.

I don’t know how he feels about the politics there, but I hear they are very left wing.

Old 02-17-2024, 06:22 AM

4 posts, read 1,649 times
There are certain areas to avoid such as around Allied Drive, Badger Road, and an east side neighborhood called Darbo. Are you planning to rent something site unseen or are you planning to come visit first to check out options? I hate to generalize, but you can often tell about the quality of the residents based on the cars parked in the lot.

And just like my other areas I assume, rents are getting out of control.

Old 02-20-2024, 06:53 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,100 times
Property crime has gotten out of control. Avoid the south side of town. Winters seem to be less severe than in the 70s when I lived there. Lake Mendota can be putrid with green algae in the summer. I would not pay extra to live near it.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:26 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,004 times
O.P., where are you moving from?

Old 02-25-2024, 03:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
There is no inappropriate weather only inappropriate clothing. Dress right and the winters won't bother you, traffic sucks, great restaurants, bikers can be annoying here, not leather bikers but spandex bikers. No lake effect here, that would be Lake Superior or Michigan where you would find that. People seem to be more welcoming in summer and less in winter, kinda makes sense tho. Take up a winter sport and you'll enjoy winter a lot more. Skiing, hiking, winter camping, fat tire bikes while drinking a fat tire.

Buy a Toyota or a Honda and you won't need a mechanic, if you have anything from Germany, Italy or Britain and you'll want 5 mechanics on speed dial along with a tow truck company. Typically apartment complexes and safety don't go hand in hand but do what I call a parking lot test, Drive around and look at the kind of cars that are parked there. Also check out the landscaping, generally the nicer the landscaping the better the management company.

Madison's great you just have to find "Your Madison".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison