Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:43 PM

781 posts, read 1,619,519 times

Advertisements

I loved the Wonderbar! Do they still have open Jazz on Sunday night? That was so much fun! Does Steve still own it?

Filmfan,

The east side of Madison have always been the "Sharks" , and the west side have been the "Jets". (West Side Story) The West side is (by some) considered better than the East side. It was not a racial issue when I was a kid, but I have not lived there since the late 90's so I am not a good judge of what is going on now.

I went to High school with an Emmy winning actor from the West Wing. Everyone thinks (Assumes he went to West High) because he is famous.

This theatre is in the heart of Atwood. http://www.barrymorelive.com

When I was a kid it was just a movie theatre. I have fond memories of the ceiling and the constellations.

Sorry about the Meyer/Mayer issue! Oscar's is probably the largest blue collar companies in Madison. The East side was built around it, and it originally was built on the outskirts. (Or that is an old folktale)

If you are from East high you have a bond, and you always want to beat West in sports! Just don't ask us to spell Oscar Mayer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,308 times
I have only ever lived on the west side (10 years now) but I whole-heartedly agree with everything Sideblinded said! The Atwood area is awesome; lovely, and I'd live there if could. It's definitely has a community, meet-your-neighbors type-of-feel. I've never thought the west side is snobbier, though I hear that often - it's just house after house - more like a suburb than a community in the city. From your comments it sounds like Atwood would be perfect for you

Old 04-17-2007, 10:00 PM

47 posts, read 50,735 times
Hi katreese, I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that from someone who's still living there in Madison! It's wonderful to know that not all city neighborhoods are on a downward trend.

About east-west differences, maybe it's just typical crosstown rivalry going on? Jeans vs khakis? If so, I'm a jeans person myself . Or is it blue collar / white collar? That was an interesting bit of history from Sideblinded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
I went to High school with an Emmy winning actor from the West Wing. Everyone thinks (Assumes he went to West High) because he is famous.
Interesting. Is West known for performing arts? Though I believe talented people are usually born with it, I would tend to give the "underdog" school more credit for building character rather than washing it away. My suburban hometown HS had good ratings for the state, but it's hard to picture any celebrities coming out from there; on the other hand, a guy named Bruce Springsteen graduated from a "not as nice" neighboring town. Now I believe he lives in a mansion by the shore.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Ah, the good ol' Barrymore Theater. Saw the Cowboy Junkies there back in the day... musta been 12 or 13 years ago by now.

My favorite spot in the area is Mickey's Pub. I still hit it now and again. Wednesdays in particular are awesome -- live Celtic jam sessions. Anyone with a rudimentary degree of talent and familiarity with traditional Celtic (mostly Irish) tunes is invited to join. When I did sessions there in the mid 90s the players got free beer. I don't know if they still do that.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:02 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,308 times
You're welcome!!

I would guess that the east/west rivalry is a blue/white collar thing - the east side has all the industrial buildings - some of which are still functioning, within the neighborhood.

As far as I know, Steve still owns Wonders!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:08 AM

Smile Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katreese View Post
You're welcome!!
So sorry if I forgot to mention how much I appreciate your comments-- this board could truly use more knowledgeable, helpful people like yourself, and Drover too!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My favorite spot in the area is Mickey's Pub. I still hit it now and again. Wednesdays in particular are awesome -- live Celtic jam sessions. Anyone with a rudimentary degree of talent and familiarity with traditional Celtic (mostly Irish) tunes is invited to join. When I did sessions there in the mid 90s the players got free beer. I don't know if they still do that.
I'm looking forward to checking this out, as a listener.
My last memorable experience with Irish music was seeing the Chieftains with my sister at Lincoln Center on St. Patrick's Day way back when. It was really something. Loved it. When the show was over, the lights turned on and it seemed all eyes (mostly older, well-dressed folks with smiles) were on us! just another oddball moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm2Xx...elated&search=

Last edited by filmfan; 04-26-2007 at 12:13 AM..

Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 AM

75 posts, read 241,861 times
Default Bradley Whitford - plays Josh on West Wing

Its Josh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
The real east side of Madison has improved both in real estate values, and is very open. One major downfall of the neighborhood issue is the school factor. Marquette/ O'Keefe or whatever the new name is now may be the middle school, but not the grade school. Lake View or Emerson were the elementary school for a lot of kids on the "other side of the river". Emerson does have major issues with rolling enrollment since it serves a large homeless temporary housing community.

I don't think neighborhood boundries are a main issue on the eastside. Madison's East side is unique. There is a bond that is hard to describe, we stick up for eachother. Atwood, Olbrich, Marquette, Maple Bluff were all blurred together to me as a kid growing up. One major change I have noticed is Willamson Street. I was so afraid of it as a kid, and it now seems to be a much nicer area. The east side has always been the "Under dog" Yet I graduated with a guy that won an emmy a few years ago! He played Josh, (or Jake) on West Wing.

When I went to UW, (Late 70's/early 80's) everyone asked; "Where are you from?" I would say Madison, which was always followed by" Did you go to West? When I replied, "No, I went to East" I think they thought I was going to pull out some homemade knife made from my notebook.

If you embrace diversity, accept the fact that you are not going to get a 4 bedroom home that is new, and want to live your life without the cookie cutter suburban life, it is the best. If you are looking for a big garage, large yard, gated community & a pool it would not work.

Atwood, Olbrich, Marquette, whatever: It may be different know, but we never thought of us as being different, with the exception of the Maple Bluff kids having more money.

When I went to UW, (Late 70's) everyone asked; "Where are you from?" I would say Madison, which was always followed by" Did you go to West? When I replied, "No, I went to East" I think they thought I was going to pull out some homemade knife made from my notebook.

It doesn't matter what part of the East side you are from. Once you are you feel like a part of something special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison