Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 10,667 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in 1 bedroom apartments on the west side, as I plan to move to Madison in March. However, I don't have a car, so I need apartments near bus stops. This has been a problem since a lot of the apartments I'm looking at don't mention their proximity to bus routes. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about safe/convenient locations around that side of town; I'm specifically interested in apartments near Westgate Mall. Also, I was wondering how dependable is Madison's bus system.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM

27 posts, read 66,223 times
While I don't live around that area, Madison's transit website is CITY OF MADISON - Metro Transit.

At one point I took the bus from Mineral Point & Grand Canyon to the east side. Generally things worked without too much lateness, and in the winter it can be an alternative to driving. However, the routes do a better job of serving commuters rather than residents, particularly outside of the downtown-near east-near west areas. It might be worthwhile to find a location that has two nearby lines, going to different transfer points, to keep your options open. This could push your apartment towards downtown, so if you need to be near WT mall, just be sure your closest bus goes where you need it to (otherwise you'll face unreasonably long bus trips).

Old 02-19-2010, 04:32 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Why do you want to live on the West Side if you don't have a car? Why not look for an apartment downtown, where the area is laid out for pedestrians and where there are MANY more bus routes?

I know there is a Transfer Station near Westgate Mall, but there aren't many apartments in that area at all. Certainly not many within walking distance to the transfer station at least.

I would look closer to the University or downtown....otherwise you will need a car to get around the west side or else you will wait you life away waiting on the next bus.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 10,667 times
I'll start work at Epic, so that's why I wanted an apartment near Westgate Mall, since the bus stop by there has a direct line to the campus. I thought about downtown apartments because they seemed more convenient. However, I felt that they would make my commute extremely convoluted.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:54 PM

27 posts, read 66,223 times
That's a tough one since EPIC is WAY WAY WAY out. Do they have a shuttle from somewhere a little closer, like Verona? I don't know if it's completely possible, but it might be worth checking that option out since it would be an easier commute without a car. In either case, it depends really on what you're looking for in terms of a neighborhood.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:25 PM

114 posts, read 325,950 times
I can't vouch for anything right next to Westgate, and honestly, I'm not even sure how many there are nearby, but there are tons of apartments on Sheboygan Ave, which has fantastic bus service both to downtown and the west, and is within easy walking distance to Hilldale Mall, grocery stores, etc. There should be at least a couple of routes that make the "reverse commute" out to the West Transfer Point (where the "Epic" bus picks up), which is only five or six minutes away. If there is a combo of routes that work well with the transfer to the Epic bus, you should at least check out the apartments. There are at least six or seven large complexes full of one-bedrooms, and while the buildings are not newer, I and a number of friends lived there for years (six for me). Look for names like Normandy, Hilldale Towers, Sovereign, Monticello, Carolina.

Otherwise, the only other collection of apartments I can think of anywhere near there is in the area of Yellowstone Dr on either side of Mineral Point Rd, which is at least a mile west of the Transfer Point. Really, the Transfer Point is not in a good spot as far as convenience to residents ... it's surrounded by large office complexes and retail.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
OP there ARE apartments near Westgate Mall on Odana Rd./Segoe Rd.area; albeit older units. You could walk over to the transfer point or hop a city bus for the short ride to the transfer point.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:09 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Good point Gold Dust. I think along Segoe Rd there are duplex and some small rentals as you stated.

The problem is that the WestGate area just isn't pedestrian friendly. Sure, you can walk to Copps or the stores there and the transfer station is right there, but I think livingin that area without a car is lacking. I mean, at least downtown you can walk to many stores, have many bus lines, have a culture of pedestrians...but at West Gate you will be one of the few pedestrians crossing the busy roads and parking lots.

That is just my opinion, but now that I understand it is due to the bus to Epic....and I don't know your situation personally...I would say get a car. Even if it's a used car at first, it will help you.

Despite what people say, Madison isn't really designed with pedestrians in mind, outside of the downtown and campus area. There are alternatives, but to soley depend on the bus system here would be maddening. I would say to get a used car at least as a back up and then go ahead with your plans to take the bus to Verona. But have that transportation of your own to fall back on for sure.

If driving is out of the question, I would still say to live closer to downtown or near Hildale (SHeboygan Ave as another poster said). Almost no one on the west side is carless, for good reason. If you live in an more urban area vs. suburban, you will have more frequent busses with more options, so living downtown for example wouldn't make the commute outrageous, considering the circumstances.

Good luck though regardless.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Yeah I don't disagree that I would want a car, but if the OP has reasons for not wanting one..it could be pulled off. I recall there being 4 unit buildings and I know there is a complex right off Whitney and Odana.

I don't think it would be that bad to live in that area if you don't care about apartment frills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison