Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 22,602 times

Advertisements

I'm 23 and have lived in Wisconsin all of my life (near the Dells), but now I might have a job offer in Madison that pays $14.00/hr which I calculated out and it roughly equals out to $29,000 a year (I only have an Associate of Applied Science - Marketing degree). I don't know if that's a good starting salary for someone of my status, but that's another story.

So, even though I've lived here all my life, I really don't have a good concept of what costs are in Madison and the immediate nearby areas like Fitchburg, Verona, etc. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but while doing some research online, I've noticed that a lot of people think that salary is pretty low, will be tough to live on and it's got me a bit worried. So, that's why I came here, to get some input/information on the cost of living in Madison. Can I live decently on that salary in Madison? I'm not a huge spender, but I do like new things once in awhile, want an apartment that's not run down and enjoy going out occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 04:28 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Yes, that salary is pretty low!

If you don't mind having roommates or settling for an apartment that is a bit run down and in a 'student' area, you can live decently on your take home pay in Madison, with some care.

If your job is towards Fitchburg/Verona, you may be able to stretch your dollar by living further out and commuting (usually means driving) in to work.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:15 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,282 times
Not to be a wet blanket, but even with roommates $29K would be tough to live on and you would definitely be looking at undesirable housing.

I'm venturing to guess that your take home pay would be about 28,400 (after taxes, social security, etc), or $2,367 per month.

The absolute cheapest rent w/ with roomies (literally sharing a bedroom, not just an apartment) would be about $250. Without room mates, I personally don't feel you can get a decent 1 bedroom for less than $800 in Madison proper. Monona is cheaper. I have a friend who has a small, no frills but nice two bedroom there for around $700.

If you have a car you will have insurance to cover which, depending on your car can range from $60-$100 per month.

Utilities will take at least another $25 per month assuming the above room mate situation. Otherwise you are probably looking at $60 - $80 per month average.

Phone is about $40 per month (not shared).

Assuming you aren't going to getting benefits you'll have to take into account saving for medical emergencies. It's about $75 to just walk into the urgent care exam room. My basic yearly physical is over $500.00 with blood tests and whatnot. Prescriptions can cost from $25 - $1000 per month without insurance, with most falling into the $200 range.

If you have pets there will be vet bills and the good vets aren't cheap. Yearly exams with shots can set you back almost $100.

If you clip coupons and eat a lot of mac and cheese I'm guessing you could get by on $250 a month for groceries (including cleaning supplies, toilet paper, paper towels, lightbulbs, etc)

Now you need to figure out your other expenses. Car payment? Student loans? Credit card debt? Entertainment? Savings? Gifts? Cable? Internet? Fast food meals/coffee?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Many do it OP and make ends meet by picking up other part time work. Welcome to the world of the working poor (JK). People commute from Madison to Ho-Chunk for employement and vice versa. You could find cheaper rentals in the small towns, but I'm sure there are deals to be found in Madison. The really sketchy hoods are few and far between. How have you been faring financially in the Dells? That would seem scary.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 03-22-2010 at 08:56 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 08:56 PM

To the above, I'm still living at home, so I don't pay any of the major bills. Just car insurance, phone, etc, so right now I have it easy. I have the option of staying at home still (my parents live between Sauk City and Madison) and saving for awhile, but I'd like to get out.

I'm pretty frugal with my money to begin with, I don't buy a lot of stuff, but I'm just worried about not being able to live a decent lifestyle. I have no student debt (my grandparents paid for my schooling) and I have never had a credit card. I don't necessarily need to live in the Madison proper, but something around the area would be nice.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Well I applaud you for wanting to get out on your own You could take the job and stay with your parents for awhile and commute, which would allow you to save more and really research finding the best housing to fit your needs. It will be an adjustment, but no time like the present to spread your wings. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,101 times
When I was a graduate student, I lived by myself in Madison for far less than $29K. If you are frugal it shouldn't be a problem for you. I had a pretty decent apartment in the Hilldale area. I'm sure the rent would be higher now, but I found it by taking a day in town and driving around looking for signs for available apartments in areas I would be interested in living. It wasn't owned/advertised by a big corporation and just had a sign out front. There are deals to be had, even in Madison. So maybe start off living with your parents and then spend some Saturdays in Madison getting to know the town. You need to start somewhere and $29k is much better than $0k.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM

I guess perhaps the root of my problem isn't the fact that I'd be starting at $29k, it's just I guess I'm afraid of my two-year degree preventing me from ever allowing me to advance in my career or make more than say $35k. Then again, I've heard that a Bachelor's degree doesn't really guarantee you anything either and that it's all about experience.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_rode23 View Post
I guess perhaps the root of my problem isn't the fact that I'd be starting at $29k, it's just I guess I'm afraid of my two-year degree preventing me from ever allowing me to advance in my career or make more than say $35k. Then again, I've heard that a Bachelor's degree doesn't really guarantee you anything either and that it's all about experience.
You could always be a truck driver either regional or OTR(Over The Road) and make up to 70K.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 PM

47 posts, read 167,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You could always be a truck driver either regional or OTR(Over The Road) and make up to 70K.

I also recall reading about metro bus drivers in Madison making up to 6 figures a few weeks ago--there was a big deal about them working over time vs. real alloted hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison