Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:14 AM

131 posts, read 410,807 times

Advertisements

Ok everyone, I need some creative ideas as to what to do with my cucumbers. I have already canned over 10 big jars of pickles. My husband just brought in 10 more cucumbers from the garden and said more are on the way.

Anyone have any great recipes or ideas they would like to share that involve cucumbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
More pickles

Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Tzatziki = Greek cucumber sauce, great on Gyro's also a wonderful salad dressing
1 cucumber
1 cup yogurt
1 sour cream
2 spoons garlic powder
1 spoon oregano
1 spoon mint
1 pinch dill (optional)
2 tbs olive oil
salt
I don't care for mint in it, I like fresh mint as a garnish instead.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:11 AM

My favorite pickles
Ripe Cucumber Pickles

6 Quarts of peeled, diced cucumbers (large ripe)

4 Medium Onions, chopped
2 Sweet Red Peppers, chopped
1 Quart White Vinegar
1 ½ Teaspoons Turmeric
6 Cups of Sugar
1 ½ Tablespoons of Mustard seed
2 Tablespoons of Celery seed
3 Tablespoons of Salt

Pare and quarter large cucumbers and remove seeds with a spoon. Dice, (cut into cubes) into large Kettle roaster with chopped onion and peppers, add vinegar to only ¾ depth of vegetables, (about 1 quart). Mix sugar, turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed and salt. Add seasoning to kettle and mix well. Cook at a slow simmer until cucumber pieces are just tender when pierced with a fork and almost transparent. Ladle into washed jars and cover.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
msina......when you say "ripe" are you refering to the large yellow ones? I remember my Mom used to make a pickle of those ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
My favorite pickles
Ripe Cucumber Pickles

6 Quarts of peeled, diced cucumbers (large ripe)

4 Medium Onions, chopped
2 Sweet Red Peppers, chopped
1 Quart White Vinegar
1 ½ Teaspoons Turmeric
6 Cups of Sugar
1 ½ Tablespoons of Mustard seed
2 Tablespoons of Celery seed
3 Tablespoons of Salt

Pare and quarter large cucumbers and remove seeds with a spoon. Dice, (cut into cubes) into large Kettle roaster with chopped onion and peppers, add vinegar to only ¾ depth of vegetables, (about 1 quart). Mix sugar, turmeric, mustard seed, celery seed and salt. Add seasoning to kettle and mix well. Cook at a slow simmer until cucumber pieces are just tender when pierced with a fork and almost transparent. Ladle into washed jars and cover.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM

42 posts, read 90,924 times
Default mmm

A quick google search will turn up a bunch of recipes for cucumber soup, or yummy buttermilk cucumber soup; those are pretty tasty!

However, I've become nearly addicted to simple sliced cucumbers and onions, with salt, pepper and a tiny pinch of sugar (And I normally hat sugar added to savory dishes), covered with some rice vinegar or cider vinegar, and a little bit of very mild canola oil (or wlanut oil if you have it). I keep re-freshing it as new cucumbers are ready from the garden (and you could add some chopped fresh dill or parsly)

Old 08-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
msina......when you say "ripe" are you refering to the large yellow ones? I remember my Mom used to make a pickle of those ones.
Yes Elston. Normally we use the cukes that have been on the vine too long. They are my favorite pickles. Yummy.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I remember after the first frost...when the leaves were pretty much gone.....we'd find those humungous yellow cukes.....and Mom made them into pickles ..... pretty much like what you describe.....and agreed....wonderful pickles.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:14 PM

131 posts, read 410,807 times
Thanks for the tips, I will have to use some of those recipes. I have had cucumber sandwiches the past couple of days. Those are always tasty!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 PM

192 posts, read 394,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Tzatziki = Greek cucumber sauce, great on Gyro's also a wonderful salad dressing
1 cucumber
1 cup yogurt
1 sour cream
2 spoons garlic powder
1 spoon oregano
1 spoon mint
1 pinch dill (optional)
2 tbs olive oil
salt
I don't care for mint in it, I like fresh mint as a garnish instead.
I use this sauce on many things and it is fantastic! I agree on omiting the mint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine