Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:59 AM

13 posts, read 42,337 times

Advertisements

My husband has been transferred to Portland from Boston, MA. Within a few months we will be moving to that area with our two girls. This is what I am hoping to find in the Greater Portland & Casco Bay area.

Nice Home in the $230,000 - $260,000 price range. (Doesn't have to be big, just nice.)

A town that is not overly commercialized. One that has more one-of-a-kind businesses and not full of Mcdonalds and BurgerKings. (A kennebunkport type of town is what I prefer.)

Good School System

Recreation areas...parks, beaches, etc..

Prefer a town that is ocean side or not too far from ocean.

A Town that is visually appealing, well landscaped, etc..

Am I asking too much for the price range I am looking for?

I would really appreciate any advice. I don't have much time. I am taking a ride up next weekend to drive through different areas. I would love to have some places in mind.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 12:57 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyroad View Post
My husband has been transferred to Portland from Boston, MA. Within a few months we will be moving to that area with our two girls. This is what I am hoping to find in the Greater Portland & Casco Bay area.

Nice Home in the $230,000 - $260,000 price range. (Doesn't have to be big, just nice.)

A town that is not overly commercialized. One that has more one-of-a-kind businesses and not full of Mcdonalds and BurgerKings. (A kennebunkport type of town is what I prefer.)

Good School System

Recreation areas...parks, beaches, etc..

Prefer a town that is ocean side or not too far from ocean.

A Town that is visually appealing, well landscaped, etc..

Am I asking too much for the price range I am looking for?

I would really appreciate any advice. I don't have much time. I am taking a ride up next weekend to drive through different areas. I would love to have some places in mind.

Thank You.
You just described Brunswick, ME.

It will be about a 30-40 minute commute for your husband, but it's interstate the whole way, and Maine does a fantastic job of keeping the roads clear, even in winter.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
I would be very careful about buying in Brunswick knowing that the BNAS is in the process of closing which will increase the supply and lower the prices.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:12 PM

We were really hoping to stay just outside of Portland. Brunswick is a bit too far. From what I've read so far, I really like Falmouth, but It doesn't seem like I would be able to find anything decent in my price range. I was wondering if the price of homes stayed pretty steady all year round, or do they tend to drop a little in the off season? I could always rent initially, then buy in the winter months.
Scarborough is another town I've been looking at. What is it like? It looks beautiful on the website and I read that their schools have a good music program. That was one of the things my daughter was concerned about. She plays the clarinet in her school band. They provide lessons year round as well. She was afraid she wouldn't get the chance to continue playing.
I really can't wait to come up next weekend so I can look around for myself.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:48 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
Westbrook is the last "bedroom community" of Portland that's still affordable. For years they had the paper mill with the foul smells and that kept it from being developed. That's not a problem any more and it's definitely an up and coming community. Lots of new construction as well as available housing and only minutes from the mall or downtown Portland. I believe I read somewhere that it's the fastest growing community in the Portland metro area.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:40 PM

87 posts, read 322,288 times
I don't live in Maine yet but my aunt and uncle where visiting my house over the weekend from Westbrook Maine and they were going on and on about how much they love it. I've read a lot of not so great things about Westbrook on here, but I actually like it. They raised their kids in Yarmouth, which they loved too but it may be a bit pricey for what you're looking for. I guess you would have to see for yourself. Westbrook is a quick commute to Portland. It's just on the other side of I95 from Portland.

Another town to consider is Gorham. Have you checked that out? That may be the town we move to. Great town with rural areas, great schools, more affordable then the coast and lots of "artsy" things for the kids.

You might also want to check out Standish. You could probably find a nice home in your price range and the taxes there are very low. None of these towns are on the water but close enough to drive and you'll have better luck finding affordable housing. Also the traffic in some of the coastal towns in the summer can get crazy, just something to consider.

Good luck in your search!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:59 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audry524 View Post
I don't live in Maine yet but my aunt and uncle where visiting my house over the weekend from Westbrook Maine and they were going on and on about how much they love it. I've read a lot of not so great things about Westbrook on here, but I actually like it. They raised their kids in Yarmouth, which they loved too but it may be a bit pricey for what you're looking for. I guess you would have to see for yourself. Westbrook is a quick commute to Portland. It's just on the other side of I95 from Portland.

Another town to consider is Gorham. Have you checked that out? That may be the town we move to. Great town with rural areas, great schools, more affordable then the coast and lots of "artsy" things for the kids.

You might also want to check out Standish. You could probably find a nice home in your price range and the taxes there are very low. None of these towns are on the water but close enough to drive and you'll have better luck finding affordable housing. Also the traffic in some of the coastal towns in the summer can get crazy, just something to consider.

Good luck in your search!
Nice post Audry. As a former Westbrook and current Gorham resident, I can vouch for those towns personally. I've also done work in Standish, there is a public beach there called Kiwanis Beach, which is on Watchic Lake and available to Standish residents.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Westbrook and Gorham are now starting to grow but the traffic in Gorham is pretty congested, Westbrook is still kinda depressed, hardly ever see anyone walking downtown but things are definately on the upswing. There is a large employer coming into Westbrook, can't remember the name and they recently built a new exit off I95 for Westbrook which is convenient for both towns. Both towns recently had a large Hannefords go in.

They are finally working on a bypass for Gorham. My brother-in-law and in-laws live there.

Have you checked out North Yarmouth, about 20 min to Portland, HS is Greely. Two of my kids played in the band, my daughter played clarinet.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:56 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times
Abby, What town are you from in Ma. I am origionaly from ma and might be able to give you some advice.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Abby, What town are you from in Ma. I am origionaly from ma and might be able to give you some advice.
I am living in Pepperell, and absolutely hate it. When my husband and I were looking for a house a few years ago, he convinced me that I would "grow to love" it here. He was so wrong. I can't stand living somewhere where you have to drive 30 minutes just to go shopping, and at least an hour or more to find any recreation or entertainment. There is absolutely nothing for the kids to do in Pepperell.
Most of my life I lived within 10 miles of Boston. I enjoyed being only a short distance to restaraunts, museums, theaters, etc..
I am the type who does not like to live right in the middle of a city, but I like having it close by.
From what I have read on the internet, I think Scarborough may be a good choice. Do you think I could find a nice three bedroom house for under $275,000 there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine