Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 PM

428 posts, read 554,427 times

Advertisements

Retiring to Southern Aroostook in the next year or so. I have been thinking about applying as a substitute teacher in nearby school districts to supplement my pension. I think I'd make a pretty good sub. In addition to a MS in Chem and nearly 35 years military and industrial manufacturing experience, I've raised 5 kids and I'm fairly confident I can keep control of the classroom. Anyone have experience in subbing? I have researched the application process, just curious if anyone has personal experiences to relate - esp. in the Houlton, Hogdon, Danforth areas. Thanks,

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 AM

973 posts, read 2,382,665 times
You'll find plenty of work if that's your plan. Right now I think it's $75 a day. You need to have at least a Associate degree or equivalent. I say equivalent because college kids home on vacation substitute if they have two years toward a bachelor's. You will need to submit to a mini-background check. State Police run your prints but it's not a very intensive BI process.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:54 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,170,447 times
I don't know about the area you are looking into, but I do have experience with subbing.

Two years ago when I substituted, pay depended on whether or not you held a degree - I can't remember the rates now.

You didn't need a degree, but you didn't get paid quite as much.

You'll have to process the necessary paperwork for fingerprinting and background checks, and pay (what was a $75) fee to do so.

Once you have applied at a school, and are cleared with the background check, you can be assured that they'll be calling you - frequently.
It's even more of a given this time of year when illness circulates more quickly.

The requirements are listed on this link -click on section 12. Good luck.

Search Results: Substitute teaching requirements site:www.maine.gov

Old 12-14-2009, 03:57 PM

222 posts, read 529,999 times
Default Hard Work

Good luck to you, but this is not such an easy thing to take on- and one to consider. Subbing is often very challenging and can really test the mettle of an individual. I have seen some subs make it a day or two and realize that the money is not worth the amount of trouble it sometimes can be. Just know what you are getting into and perhaps try the younger grades first-junior high and high school can be daunting to an inexperienced sub. Best wishes.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:56 AM

783 posts, read 1,575,519 times
Hi Kevin,

I worked in ME SAD 28 & SAD 5 as a sub for a couple of winters ('06 & '07). I wanted to work as much as possible, so I signed up in two adjacent districts and for K-12, any subject, in both.

I always said yes to the early morning phone call from the nice, sometimes desperate "sub caller," and before long, I was very busy. Pay in one district was $60 per diem; the other, $65. I have a couple of degrees.

My experience was that the teaching staff usually left excellent lesson plans, and only occasionally did I have to wing it . When I went into it, I had very little experience with youth; but the kids changed that in a hurry! They can be tough, but you've said you raised five kids, so I'm guessing you have some experience to draw on!

After I submitted my application at the District offices, I made a point to go to each school I hoped to work in and introduce myself to the Assistant Principal and school Secretary.

I wish you great success!!!

Old 12-15-2009, 05:16 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,466,204 times
OMG, that's not more than minimum wage! Talk about being under paid. Hopefully it's a job that brings you much joy because I'd hate to have to depend upon it to pay the bills.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:46 AM

428 posts, read 554,427 times
Not planning on it to pay the bills, just to pick up some extra money to supplement my pension. Also, unlike a steady P/T job, it would be nice to be able to turn down an offer when farm chores, hunting or fishing are calling.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:47 PM

264 posts, read 759,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Not planning on it to pay the bills, just to pick up some extra money to supplement my pension. Also, unlike a steady P/T job, it would be nice to be able to turn down an offer when farm chores, hunting or fishing are calling.
I agree. While yes it's not getting rich. It is a very nice option just to supplement on free days. My 3rd child is now in school and I have degrees. If I end up with a sick child, I must stay home but if all 3 children are in school that day, I might as well be too!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,871 times
You might not be able to do it now. NCLB(No Child Left Behind) Law requires that everyone who is teaching whether full time or a substitute be "highly Qualified" in the subject area. This is pretty much across the USA.

zarathu

Old 12-18-2009, 09:43 PM

134 posts, read 515,005 times
We are retired AF and my wife hold an MBA in business and upon our return to Maine this summer she has been subbing at our district. You will have NO problems as you have the degree(s). You will just need to have your finger prints done by the state. You can find out the process and locations of where they do it at https://www10.informe.org/cgi-bin/dp...int/details.pl Again you will have NO problem and the NCLB Law doesn't effect subs. Having a military pension helps for sure. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine