Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:04 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce View Post
Again you will have NO problem and the NCLB Law doesn't effect subs. .

It does in Pennsylvania. You must be fully certified in your subject area to teach anywhere in PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 AM

298 posts, read 482,244 times
I subbed as a teacher aide in Massachusetts and was quite busy. Didn't have the teacher's certificate in Education so couldn't sub as a teacher.

So, even if you don't have a teacher's certificate, you can probably sub as an aide.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:25 AM

Apparently you can sub as a teacher in Maine with only a couple couple of training sessions. Maine and Hawaii are like that.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
You can sub without a degree. Danforth, Southern Aroostook, and Hodgdon will all love you if you are halfway decent and can offer something to the kids, since they have a small pool of subs to draw on and really appreciate a good one in the area.
Houlton probably has more of a pool, but of course you might get calls from them too, considering it's a much larger school district.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:38 PM

428 posts, read 554,312 times
Thanks, maineguy. I really do feel as if I can offer something. I have been a sort of teacher most of my adult life. I was an instructor for part of my Army career, did teaching as a graduate student in polymer chemistry, and taught employees in my current profession as a Quality Manager. I really don't want to teach full time though, as we intend to try to raise as much of our food as possible, and I am anxious to get back into hunting and fishing. Thought it might be a good way to earn some extra money when things slow down in fall and winter.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:10 PM

I just thought I would bump this thread with an update. I have my Temporary certificate now and after fingerprinting in Orono on Saturday I will receive my 5 year certification. All of the districts I applied in (Danforth, Hodgdon, Houlton) were very happy to see me. I got my first assignment for Friday when I dropped off a copy of my certificate in Danforth. I will be subbing as a one-on-one Ed tech for a 6th grader. Seems like a perfect way to start! I will post an update this weekend.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
I just thought I would bump this thread with an update. I have my Temporary certificate now and after fingerprinting in Orono on Saturday I will receive my 5 year certification. All of the districts I applied in (Danforth, Hodgdon, Houlton) were very happy to see me. I got my first assignment for Friday when I dropped off a copy of my certificate in Danforth. I will be subbing as a one-on-one Ed tech for a 6th grader. Seems like a perfect way to start! I will post an update this weekend.
You need to check on your social security. If you have at least thirty years in to the system then nothing will take away your SS benefits.

If you have less than that, even working for a Maine school district for just one hour as a Maine teacher can take away all of your SS retirement benefits.

This has happened to many unsuspecting people who switched careers and became teachers in Maine only to find that they no longer have any Social security that they'd paid into all the years before coming to Maine. My wife took time off to have kids for 14 years, so she has less than 30 years in. She cannot work as a sub or anything paid as a teacher in Maine.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM

973 posts, read 2,382,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
You need to check on your social security. If you have at least thirty years in to the system then nothing will take away your SS benefits.

If you have less than that, even working for a Maine school district for just one hour as a Maine teacher can take away all of your SS retirement benefits.

This has happened to many unsuspecting people who switched careers and became teachers in Maine only to find that they no longer have any Social security that they'd paid into all the years before coming to Maine. My wife took time off to have kids for 14 years, so she has less than 30 years in. She cannot work as a sub or anything paid as a teacher in Maine.
Where did you come up with that? Please!!...people come to these forums for advice. Nothing you say is correct. Many, many substitute teachers are retired from some other profession. I'm not going to look it up, but I'm fairly confident a substitute teacher doesn't even qualify to participate in the Maine Retirement System until they have 90 days or more. At that point even if someone participates in MSRS, in no way does it affect any SSI benefits they have accrued. Where did you glean that info Z? If you are talking about Government Pension Offset, you need to be receiving a Government pension (state pension from MSRS) before the GPO kicks in. You don't get a Government pension for substituting an hour my friend!...last I checked it took 5 years of full time employment to be vested in the MSRS. Once vested, and you started receiving a State Retirement Benefit, the GPO would decrease your SSI benefit by a percentage. The maximum GPO penalty is just over $300 per month. In other words if you were receiving both Social Security and Maine State Retirement your SS check would be reduced some number from 0 to slightly more than $300. Way too much information I'm sure, but substitute teaching doesn't affect your Social Security unless you make a career out of Substitute teaching!!!

Last edited by kellysmith; 09-30-2010 at 07:39 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Where did you come up with that? Please!!...people come to these forums for advice. Nothing you say is correct. Many, many substitute teachers are retired from some other profession. I'm not going to look it up, but I'm fairly confident a substitute teacher doesn't even qualify to participate in the Maine Retirement System until they have 90 days or more. At that point even if someone participates in MSRS, in no way does it affect any SSI benefits they have accrued. Where did you glean that info Z? If you are talking about Government Pension Offset, you need to be receiving a Government pension (state pension from MSRS) before the GPO kicks in. You don't get a Government pension for substituting an hour my friend!...last I checked it took 5 years of full time employment to be vested in the MSRS. Once vested, and you started receiving a State Retirement Benefit, the GPO would decrease your SSI benefit by a percentage. The maximum GPO penalty is just over $300 per month. In other words if you were receiving both Social Security and Maine State Retirement your SS check would be reduced some number from 0 to slightly more than $300. Way too much information I'm sure, but substitute teaching doesn't affect your Social Security unless you make a career out of Substitute teaching!!!

You may be right. But if you are not, this person could lose his whole social security on the basis of this. There are many many people who have worked with less than the required 30 years for just a short time and lost social security. Do you want that on your conscience?

Better safe than sorry. He needs to check. My wife cannot work for the state of Maine as a teacher for any bit, and then keep the SS that she obtained in antoher state. You should look up the discussions on this. And its not just Maine that this is happening. Any state where teachers do not get social security are having this happen.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Subs are not required to participate in the MSRS. I signed a document that stated I am opting out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine