Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 7,672 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a new poster but somewhat longtime reader of this forum. Another moving to ME thread. I'm an early 40's female with a fairly high-paying job in MA who will be able to work from home remotely and go into Boston once a week, so don't have the concern that Maineah appropriately raises about not having a job first. Married, with a first grader. Looking for an escape from the urban grind and high prices of MA, better lifestyle, slower and closer to nature and less materialistic for my daughter and my husband and I. And, I grew up in ME, small town of Casco, until I left for college, and my parents, sister, and extended family live around the Portland area so this isn't a rootless move.

However, I haven't lived in ME since I was 18, though we visit often, and vacation there part of every summer. As an adult I've either lived in Providence, Seattle, or near Boston, so it will be a change of pace to go back to ME, one that we are purposefully seeking in making this move.

My sister who lives in Portland (never left ME) considers North Yarmouth "the boonies", so I thought that was a nice intro to this thread. I've read some of the detailed information on other posts about Yarmouth, in which I'm also somewhat interested, but less is said about N. Yarmouth, probably because there is less to say. But thoughts are welcomed. Do you consider it "remote"? Does anyone live there or very familiar with the town and feel? Welcoming? Good place for kids? Any downsides I might not have thought of? Is it too hard to get to the highway or train in winter?

Also considering Scarborough, Cape E, Gorham, but am more intrigued by the amount of land more readily available in N. Yarmouth as I am seeking space and nature in moving to ME. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 03:29 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaC View Post
Hello, I'm a new poster but somewhat longtime reader of this forum. Another moving to ME thread. I'm an early 40's female with a fairly high-paying job in MA who will be able to work from home remotely and go into Boston once a week, so don't have the concern that Maineah appropriately raises about not having a job first. Married, with a first grader. Looking for an escape from the urban grind and high prices of MA, better lifestyle, slower and closer to nature and less materialistic for my daughter and my husband and I. And, I grew up in ME, small town of Casco, until I left for college, and my parents, sister, and extended family live around the Portland area so this isn't a rootless move.

However, I haven't lived in ME since I was 18, though we visit often, and vacation there part of every summer. As an adult I've either lived in Providence, Seattle, or near Boston, so it will be a change of pace to go back to ME, one that we are purposefully seeking in making this move.

My sister who lives in Portland (never left ME) considers North Yarmouth "the boonies", so I thought that was a nice intro to this thread. I've read some of the detailed information on other posts about Yarmouth, in which I'm also somewhat interested, but less is said about N. Yarmouth, probably because there is less to say. But thoughts are welcomed. Do you consider it "remote"? Does anyone live there or very familiar with the town and feel? Welcoming? Good place for kids? Any downsides I might not have thought of? Is it too hard to get to the highway or train in winter?

Also considering Scarborough, Cape E, Gorham, but am more intrigued by the amount of land more readily available in N. Yarmouth as I am seeking space and nature in moving to ME. Thank you!
North Yarmouth is hardly the boonies. You are still very close to the population of Portland, and all that it can provide, but still out where there is land.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:18 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
No. Yarmouth in the boonies? Apparently she's never been to Macwahoc, or Forest city

No. Yarmouth is far from the boonies

Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
If you are planning to use the Downeaster (train) as a way to comute to Boston, consider it is "slow". I would think a once a week trip to Boston from Maine would be much more convenient from a town south of Portland. Have you looked at Kittery or Eliot?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:56 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
I drove through it today while showing homes in Yarmouth and Falmouth. It is roughly 20 minutes to my Portland office. It is (obviously) right next to Yarmouth and the students attend SAD 51, which includes Cumberland and North Yarmouth. The high school is called Greeley High School. The homes tend to have larger lots than Yarmouth, as there is no real downtown like Yarmouth.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:41 AM

4 posts, read 7,672 times
Thanks all. I was being kind of tongue in cheek about the boonies remark, although it surprised me that my sister made the comment. Kind of wondering if there is a sense of community in N Yarmouth, as it seems there is in Yarmouth, which may be more defined by having a real downtown and a school system which isn't combined with other towns. I am also considering whether just being south of Portland, which is definitely a practical idea, should trump the extra 20? minute or so addition to the commute I would have (but only once a week). In which case I'd lean toward Scarborough. Kittery would be practical but we in fact want to get away from MA, and as I mentioned want to be kind of close to Portland for family and cultural reasons, but leaves a good number of communities on the table.

I do plan on taking the Downeaster most of the time since I have gotten used to commuter rail in MA, because I find it less stressful than driving all the time, and have the bonus of being able to work on the train on my laptop (or veg out with a book if I'm tired) during the trip, even if it is slow. Anyone else do this regularly?

Old 10-22-2010, 06:57 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaC View Post
Thanks all. I was being kind of tongue in cheek about the boonies remark, although it surprised me that my sister made the comment. Kind of wondering if there is a sense of community in N Yarmouth, as it seems there is in Yarmouth, which may be more defined by having a real downtown and a school system which isn't combined with other towns. I am also considering whether just being south of Portland, which is definitely a practical idea, should trump the extra 20? minute or so addition to the commute I would have (but only once a week). In which case I'd lean toward Scarborough. Kittery would be practical but we in fact want to get away from MA, and as I mentioned want to be kind of close to Portland for family and cultural reasons, but leaves a good number of communities on the table.

I do plan on taking the Downeaster most of the time since I have gotten used to commuter rail in MA, because I find it less stressful than driving all the time, and have the bonus of being able to work on the train on my laptop (or veg out with a book if I'm tired) during the trip, even if it is slow. Anyone else do this regularly?
The buses are faster and cheaper.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:01 PM

19 posts, read 51,132 times
North Yarmouth is a beautiful town. Lots of rolling hills, open space and a great school system. As WhoFanMe pointed out, it is part of SAD 51 "Greely". North Yarmouth lacks the village feel that Yarmouth has and isn't a coastal town like Yarmouth either. The only neighborhoods in North Yarmouth are the subdivisions, whereas Yarmouth has Main Street, sidewalks, village, lovely neighborhoods, etc. It would be much easier to purchase a large parcel of land in North Yarmouth than it would to in Yarmouth. I reside in Gorham, which we love. We have lived there for 15 years.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:02 PM

19 posts, read 51,132 times
Oh and it's not in the "boonies". Our camp in Rockwood is in the boonies! But we wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:55 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Being about 4 miles away from Yarmouth and US 1 it's alot quieter. Same reason I liked living in Cumberland. The only problem was that the kids could bike to Vacationland Video and rent movies on my account without telling me so when I went to get a movie for myself I was always presented with late fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine