Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:20 PM

86 posts, read 484,190 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about Graham Lake in Maine. I know it is a man made lake, but other than that, I don't know much about it. I was thinking about buying a piece of land on Graham Lake in Ellsworth.
Does anyone know about when they lower the lake, is it seasonal, monthly, once or twice a year???? How is the swimming or boating?? Any facts you have about it would be great. THanks

Old 09-05-2006, 11:14 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,239 times
Imo it is nothing more than a dammed up swamp I dont think I have ever seen actual water color all I have ever seen is brown I am sure there are some nice spots on that lake I have just never seen one. My brother fishes
in an annual bass tourney on Graham lake I guess there is alot of real shallow spots that can sneak up on you if you are not careful As for water releases from the dam I cant honestly say

Old 09-06-2006, 04:40 PM

Thanks bigchuckie,
I noticed that it was very shallow. The base seemed to be sand where I looked. I saw several camping areas that advertise weekly rentals on Graham Lake. Not sure how different areas compare to others.
I did read that the water wasn't as clean as other lakes, but they do say swimming is good there.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:15 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
I grew up near Grahm Lake. The shoreline was lined with sawmills and it was the Union River, I believe, before it was dammed up. That's not "sand" on the bottom, for the most part, it is rotting sawdust. We never swam there, given that Green Lake, Phillips, Beech Hill Pond and dozens of other lakes were around and out into Washington County. The bass fishing is good because it's shallow and stump ridden. O.K. recreation, I guess, but it's the bottom of the barrell in the region.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 62,092 times
Wink graham

We just purchased a house on Graham Lake and i have to say it is absolutely beautiful! You Maine people are very critical I have to say, nice but critical!
I was expecting to see brown water but where we are it is clear and we can see the bottom over 3 feet down-definately not brown-some spots may be light tea color-quality of the water is ok. The fish are abundant, there are Large mouth, smallies, pickeral and more, I fished for 10 minutes and caught a nice bass. I have heard that there are some shallow parts so you have to be careful with a motor. Does anyone know if there is a map of the lake that shows rocks/shallow parts for boating?? Man made compared to Glacier Fed, I don't see alot of difference to be honest, yes I do hear that the lake rises and lowers, but nothing totally significant as of yet. We used to have a house on Damariscotta lake which is a pristine lake down south, and Graham looks alot like that to us!! Graham lake is a good buy, beautiful and it's big!! It may not be 100% clear but it is clean. It is not a SWAMP!!!!

Old 10-14-2006, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmmmd View Post
We just purchased a house on Graham Lake and i have to say it is absolutely beautiful! You Maine people are very critical I have to say, nice but critical!
I was expecting to see brown water but where we are it is clear and we can see the bottom over 3 feet down-definately not brown-some spots may be light tea color-quality of the water is ok. The fish are abundant, there are Large mouth, smallies, pickeral and more, I fished for 10 minutes and caught a nice bass. I have heard that there are some shallow parts so you have to be careful with a motor. Does anyone know if there is a map of the lake that shows rocks/shallow parts for boating?? Man made compared to Glacier Fed, I don't see alot of difference to be honest, yes I do hear that the lake rises and lowers, but nothing totally significant as of yet. We used to have a house on Damariscotta lake which is a pristine lake down south, and Graham looks alot like that to us!! Graham lake is a good buy, beautiful and it's big!! It may not be 100% clear but it is clean. It is not a SWAMP!!!!
Just wondering what town you purchased in, and how long you have lived there? How much have you seen the water lower? I agree, it is an affordable lake, but I thought it looked pretty nice. I just don't want to have to walk out 300 yards of mud to get to water

Old 10-16-2006, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 62,092 times
In Mariaville. I dont think it get's too low that you would have to walk out in mud. We have just purchased it so not too sure about the water levels but speaking with neighbors who have been there for along time- it hasn't been too bad.
Anything else let us know!

Old 10-19-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmmmd View Post
In Mariaville. I dont think it get's too low that you would have to walk out in mud. We have just purchased it so not too sure about the water levels but speaking with neighbors who have been there for along time- it hasn't been too bad.
Anything else let us know!

Thank you. I appreciate your information!

Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 AM

11 posts, read 85,476 times
We too, just bought a house on Graham Lake. Absolutely love it. We bought it in August and we were told about the water levels fluctuating. Went back in Mid OCt, and yes the level was about 20 feet lower, but it was still beautiful with a rocky/pebbly shore and sandy bottom. The water has looked clear to me each time I've seen it. We will be putting a dock...are those expensive? Who in the Ellsworth area is in the dock business?

Old 11-22-2006, 04:12 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,239 times
Try EBS builder supply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine