Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
I checked City Data's info on Richmond says there are 15 people of Russian ancestry in Richmond. Out of a population of almost 2000, 15 doesn't sound like much of a movement.

How many Russians would you guess are living in Richmond now?

And how did they find jobs?
Since the early 70's there was/is a sign on rte 27 in pittston/dresden with the words slavophile community- i've been told this has to do with the russians from dresden/richmond

When i was working in a store many moons ago (a town near richmond) i'd get the russian ladies, asking for kidneys, tongue, and beef hearts, all the innards,(offals) most of us wont eat.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Eating hearts, tongue and kidneys isn't a "Russian" thing. People all over eat these things. Even Americans... imagine that.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 PM

51 posts, read 90,300 times
Quote:
I checked City Data's info on Richmond says there are 15 people of Russian ancestry in Richmond. Out of a population of almost 2000, 15 doesn't sound like much of a movement.

How many Russians would you guess are living in Richmond now?

And how did they find jobs?

The migration to Richmond was quite a while ago - 50"s? not sure. Their young people mostly moved away.
In more recent history a small nursing home was built because of the problem of Russian elderly not having a place to go. But the last I knew there was only one Russian in the home.

Jobs? I don't know that either. It's possible that they came when they retired.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM

51 posts, read 90,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Catholic charities had plenty to do with the Somali Immigration. I wish them success too but the reality is most of them do not work and support themselves.
Interesting.
The business of the secondary immigration is something I read about in the Maine Sunday Telegram before they arrived. It was known that they were coming and there were going to be about 1000 people.

Are they all, or most of them, getting gov't subsidies?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Since the early 70's there was/is a sign on rte 27 in pittston/dresden with the words slavophile community- i've been told this has to do with the russians from dresden/richmond

When i was working in a store many moons ago (a town near richmond) i'd get the russian ladies, asking for kidneys, tongue, and beef hearts, all the innards,(offals) most of us wont eat.
Those are some of the tastiest parts.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Eating hearts, tongue and kidneys isn't a "Russian" thing. People all over eat these things. Even Americans... imagine that.
Never had this, but it sounds great.

I found this version on the net; I'm sure there's other variations. I've eaten everything in it and then some, but not all together at once. One of these days I'll cook some up:

Sonofabitch Stew

This was a favorite beef stew dish among cowboys of the America West. It was also known as rascal stew or by the name of some unpopular figure of the time. For example, some cowboys called it Cleveland Stew in (dis)honor of President Grover Cleveland displacing cowboys from the Cherokee Strip. If you’re not into eating animal organs, pass this one up. However, if you want to put some hair on your chest, belly up to the table and pound this meal down.
2 pounds of lean beef
Half a calf heart
1 ½ pounds of calf liver
1 set sweetbreads (that’s the thymus gland for you city slickers)
1 set of brains
1 set of marrow gut
Salt, pepper to taste
Louisiana hot sauce
Cut the beef, liver, and heart into one inch cubes. Slice the marrow gut into rings. Place these ingredients into the Dutch oven and cover with water. Let it simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Chop sweetbreads and brains into small pieces and add to stew. Simmer another hour.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa2010 View Post
The migration to Richmond was quite a while ago - 50"s? not sure. Their young people mostly moved away.
In more recent history a small nursing home was built because of the problem of Russian elderly not having a place to go. But the last I knew there was only one Russian in the home.

Jobs? I don't know that either. It's possible that they came when they retired.
I walked around in Google street view yesterday, and spotted an Orthodox Church in Richmond. Good chance the Russians built it.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:

I found this version on the net; I'm sure there's other variations. I've eaten everything in it and then some, but not all together at once. One of these days I'll cook some up:

Sonofabitch Stew

This was a favorite beef stew dish among cowboys of the America West. It was also known as rascal stew or by the name of some unpopular figure of the time. For example, some cowboys called it Cleveland Stew in (dis)honor of President Grover Cleveland displacing cowboys from the Cherokee Strip. If you’re not into eating animal organs, pass this one up. However, if you want to put some hair on your chest, belly up to the table and pound this meal down.
2 pounds of lean beef
Half a calf heart
1 ½ pounds of calf liver
1 set of brains
1 set of marrow gut
Salt, pepper to taste
Louisiana hot sauce
Cut the beef, liver, and heart into one inch cubes. Slice the marrow gut into rings. Place these ingredients into the Dutch oven and cover with water. Let it simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Chop sweetbreads and brains into small pieces and add to stew. Simmer another hour.

Wow, that sounds like it might be a bit rough... whew!! I grew up in New York City... eating tongue... loved it. Haven't had it for years but have fond memories. And I'm not Russian.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissa2010 View Post
Interesting.
The business of the secondary immigration is something I read about in the Maine Sunday Telegram before they arrived. It was known that they were coming and there were going to be about 1000 people.

Are they all, or most of them, getting gov't subsidies?
It was more like 3000 and they nearly bankrupt the city of Lewiston!!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:43 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:

Sonofabitch Stew

2 pounds of lean beef
Half a calf heart
1 ½ pounds of calf liver
1 set of brains
1 set of marrow gut
Salt, pepper to taste
Louisiana hot sauce
Does this come with a barf bag instead of a doggie bag?

I think I'm allergic to glands and filter organs in general.

Sorry...off topic I know. This was from 2007.
POV - Rain in a Dry Land . Letter From Maine: New in Town | PBS

Full disclosure: I don't live near Lewiston - I don't know how accurate or "slanted" this may be, but it does have information on how they got there.

Last edited by cebdark; 12-07-2010 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine