Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:26 AM

17 posts, read 39,910 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I posted earlier about mid-coast property rentals and it looks like, unless things take a turn for the worse, we're going to be renting an older "been in the family forever" farm on 100 acres in Waldo. We're not renting a hella lot of the acreage per se; that's being hayed and used as pasturage by what I think is a dairy farm up the road, but we will have access to it, and what not.

I'm terribly excited since we've been wanting to move to Maine forever and this is a major step towards our goals of setting down permanent roots.

I've been spending some time checking dog laws since we do have dogs. I'm a little unclear on one aspect of the laws that's about dogs at large. Is being "at large" defined as being loose out of the bounds of one's own property?

We are not dog owners who allow the dogs to roam and would only consider off-lead away from dangers (cars, busy roads, etc.) or becoming nuisances or danger to another (chasing livestock), only loose under our direct supervision and on the boundaries of our rented property.

We are responsible, conscientious owners and because the field behind the house seems a perfect place for potential off-lead fun and games (set well back, not in proximity of neighbors, etc.), and is part of the property, I wanted to be clear on the leash laws. Again, I am talking about attended off-lead instances, not "let the dogs out the back and not pay attention" sort of things.

Anyone who has dogs and property who can shed direct experience light? Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:41 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,974,083 times
Here's a good web site to start with:

What is Maine's law on... : Maine State Law and Legislative Reference Library

Old 11-27-2010, 07:58 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
Maine doesn't have a leash law but some towns/cities do. The state law says you have to have control of the dog. That can be by voice command.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:14 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Congratulations on your move to Maine.

We have been here 5 years and really like it.

We have three dogs now, nobody has ever said a word to us about them being loose.

One neighbor has a pack of hounds, one evening his hounds were chasing a moose, they all ran up behind our house. The moose had crossed a bit of swamp behind our house and the hounds were hesitant to cross the swamp, so they were all in our back yard baying that the moose.

As far as I know most people in our town have dogs.

I hope you enjoy yourself

Old 11-28-2010, 06:34 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
We have a dog and 22 acres, the house is set well back from the road. The dog goes out on her own all the time, she rarely strays far from the house. During hunting season she wears an orange vest. The only time she goes on a leash is when we go walking along the road...and it is more for her protection than anything else- I have been training her to sit off the roadway when a vehicle approaches but she is still young and exuberant and occasionally makes sudden unpredictable dashes so, until she is older and calmer she gets the leash.

The neighbor across the road has dogs that are often loose but they rarely stray from their property.

Much depends on your dog and how well it is trained- if you can keep it under control by voice/whistle and it can be depended on not to stray from your own property you should be OK.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful information and much appreciated. Thanks for the link the Maine laws; that will be useful.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:53 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,861,580 times
Just as a side note in the winter if your dog is caught chasing deer it will be shot and not just by wardens, please keep control of your dog at all times.

bill

Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
If you are on your land and you see my dog chasing your livestock, feel free to shoot the dog.

I will do the same.

Last edited by Submariner; 11-28-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 02:30 PM

I won't shoot anything unless I have to. I don't plan on putting my dogs in a situation where they need to be shot either. Thanks for the admonishment about shoot-first sorts.

We aren't changing locations so we can be obnoxious and irresponsible dog owners and hopefully we won't be around obnoxious and irresponsible people either. With or without dogs.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:33 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
I see folks walking dogs on leashes, all the time, but also see many dogs without a leash with the owners- the only dogs i ever got nervous about and had to kick one, was a pit bull at a park-running loose with another-with no owners around, with many kids playing, and one started growling and nipping at a child, thats the only incident .

I love dogs, and most that come running to say hi and very friendly
I had to keep my dog on a leash- she was a greyhound and would be gone in a flash

i do believe most towns have a leash law- and i do believe its common courtesy to put a dog on a leash in public places
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: