Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 10:30 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times

Advertisements

I just want to say how thankful and appreciative I am for the (usually) reasoned and rational discussion we have here, as well as the sheer amount of activity here. Just a few minutes ago I counted 11 threads on the Main Page here that were active today alone. That is twice what you'll commonly find on other state forums on city-data.com. Even the California forum had only five active threads on the Main Page. And the threads here aren't just "where can I eat in Camden/Portland/Bangor" but rather are discussing real issues of interest to Mainers.

So thank you. We may not always agree, but we're sure contributing to the culture of Maine by debating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
I'll second that motion! This forum is not just helpful to the folks who already live in Maine, but for those of us "from away" who have endless questions about what to expect up there, and what we should do about it. Invaluable!

To all those posters who have said that Mainers are stand-offish and not very friendly, all I can say is, look at the threads on this forum, and tell me that these folks are not friendly and forthcoming with excellent advice to all who come here.

Mainers, here's a tall frosty glass to you!

Old 01-26-2011, 12:05 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I'll second that motion! This forum is not just helpful to the folks who already live in Maine, but for those of us "from away" who have endless questions about what to expect up there, and what we should do about it. Invaluable!

To all those posters who have said that Mainers are stand-offish and not very friendly, all I can say is, look at the threads on this forum, and tell me that these folks are not friendly and forthcoming with excellent advice to all who come here.

Mainers, here's a tall frosty glass to you!
I'll third Coaster and second this one.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:29 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Man I'd like a tall frosty one right about now.....stupid diet!!!!

Old 01-26-2011, 02:12 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I just want to say how thankful and appreciative I am for the (usually) reasoned and rational discussion we have here, as well as the sheer amount of activity here. Just a few minutes ago I counted 11 threads on the Main Page here that were active today alone. That is twice what you'll commonly find on other state forums on city-data.com. Even the California forum had only five active threads on the Main Page. And the threads here aren't just "where can I eat in Camden/Portland/Bangor" but rather are discussing real issues of interest to Mainers.

So thank you. We may not always agree, but we're sure contributing to the culture of Maine by debating it.
I don't live in Maine (yet), but I can tell you if I were living in a place I really believed to be the best spot on earth, I sure wouldn't get on the internet and tell several billion people how great it is to live there.

No more than I would tell several billion people I have several millon in cash stuffed in my mattress (I don't).

But if I were to benefit economically from boosting tourism or selling them real estate, that would be a different story.

But that's just me.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:22 PM

591 posts, read 926,334 times
Its a great forum to be on. I enjoy posting and discussing things about Maine in this forum.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:30 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,671,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
I don't live in Maine (yet), but I can tell you if I were living in a place I really believed to be the best spot on earth, I sure wouldn't get on the internet and tell several billion people how great it is to live there.

No more than I would tell several billion people I have several millon in cash stuffed in my mattress (I don't).

But if I were to benefit economically from boosting tourism or selling them real estate, that would be a different story.

But that's just me.
My guess is 40%-50% of people who will get all giddy about Maine and move here will not like it. My cousin who grew up here likes to visit but likes living in the Los Angeles area now. Maine appeals to retirees looking for a safe place to live out their golden years. The problem is it isn't easy to live in Maine. People in their 80's and even 70's don't want to deal with snow and cold weather. Those with the means live in a trailer or a home in Florida in the winter and spend the summers in their Maine home.
Those who have spent their wad to buy a home in Maine tough it out the best they can in winter. Many have put themselves in the precarious situation of living away from a town or city for the view and the privacy but still have to drive to get what they need. You see A LOT of elderly drivers in Maine and it's only going to increase.
Maine has very little appeal to people in their working years. There is no money to be made in Maine. By city standards Maine is pretty dull to 20 and 30 somethings. You can only have so many clambakes or trips to see lighthouses before it becomes ho-hum. If I were younger looking for a state to live in, Maine would be FAR down the list.
My kids have no plans to live in Maine. I don't blame them. Maine is becoming one huge retirement community.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
We need to let the dreamers down gently. Last fall we had a poster here who wanted to come to Maine, cut logs, build a cabin and spend the winter living off the land. It simply wasn't possible. That poster is here in a pretty spot, warm and dry, and loving the view.

Three years ago we had a poster here who was most discouraged about things that were misrepresented. He figured he would never find what he wanted. We went out on snowshoes to look at land. Now his new home is on the site.

We have one son in Maine and one son away. Both would live in Northern Maine if they could find work in their fields. We'll get back there. You can't stifle the economy in 52% of a state and have that state prosper. Those of us on the front lines are like the population of a town at a sandbag wall that held when the flood begins to recede. We breathe a sigh of relief, take a break and then begin to rebuild the damaged areas.

(Our automatic editor won't allow the four letter word for a sand bag wall to hold back a flood.)

Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Mainer's are a friendly bunch, not just because we are all 2nd cousins, but because we tend to live and let live, we respect others privacy and expect a two-way street

Old 01-26-2011, 05:20 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Man I'd like a tall frosty one right about now.....stupid diet!!!!
Relax, my friend, I'm drinkin' a tall one for you right now! Let's see, one for you, two for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine