Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 03:38 PM

378 posts, read 1,031,099 times

Advertisements

When you look at the google aerial of perry maine off to the West about one kilometer off of US 1 there appears what looks to be a huge man-made something or other. Looks like a dig or construction. I"m wondering what this is and can't get any closer and haven't found anything. I'm already aware of something mollysmiles mentioned which is the natural gas facility which is a little scary how much change that could bring but still it's not the end of the world. Wondering what else is going on up around that way.

These people (the natural gas folks) appear to have made a deal with the passamaquoddy tribe which has not gone over well with the townsfolk so I realize that's an ongoing issue. It's scary that they formed an LLC . When LLC's came to FL that was the end of any responsibility for what they do. limited liability corps. It's right there in the acronym. At any rate --- wondering what else anyone knows about perry that I'm not digging out online.
Thanks as usual
Oh I tried to post the photo but it doesn't have a url for the google image so ... relying on someone knowing from knowing the area. Hoping. If you don't mind tell me anything you can that's involving perry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 12:20 AM

35 posts, read 97,972 times
Mainewannabe,
It seems that you are unfamiliar with LLC or corp., which are somewhat similar. In case you are not aware there are millions of companies that establish LLC's either for tax purposes or other reasons. Just because a company decides to establish an LLC or corp. does not mean they do not take responsibility. So your comment is quite an uneducated one.

As for LNG's facilities, they have been around since the early 1950's, and are located all over the world.
There are many of us in Eastport who are in support of the LNG due to the fact that it will bring jobs, boost the economy, which is greatly needed in Maine, as well as reduce the outrageous prices of utilities, in addition reduce the tax burden posed on residentce.
So with that said, I think you should probably do some research about LLC's and corporations before you make a ridiculous comment that they fail to take responsibility.
By the way, there are more people in support of the LNG from Eastport, Perry, Calais and surrounding communities. Most importantly, Congress has impressed this nation that alternative forms of energy are needed, which has been a current topic for years.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:53 PM

Actually TROM since you don't know my level of education I'd think you should refrain from addressing same.

For the record you can examine your OWN LLC's; I've formed my opinion and watched them in action. I don't really have an opinon on the gas thiing in maine but I do see the divisive way that the LLC has gone about it and did read what the residents had to say about it. I am also acquainted with diane wilson who had to fight to save her own bay in texas. I'm not entering into the fray of some battle that obviously has you all heated up. LOL.
Also, I think if you continue to attack people in an ad hominem fashion as you did me in email and here when I didn't jump on your scare tactics and buy the house you have for sale in eastport perhaps someone should report you and get your IP banned from this board.

For the record, TROM sent me a PM when I first joined this board and I sent him/it/she my email so he/she/it could send me some photos of a house it has for sale. Obviously having a hard time unloading. This is an extremely unpleasant person who sent me over a half dozen increasingly abusive emails filled with fear tactics and outrageous lies about the citizens of maine and how all of you and all the realtors in maine have tried to screw trom and the world OVER by being liars and miscreants.
When I asked TROM direct questions about the home's proximity to the water he/she/it began to call me ridiculous, stupid, said I had NO idea what I was talking about said good luck with the maine realtors and everyone in maine who had tried to steal from he/she/it.
All in all it was a lovely exchange.
Trom --- back off.
Go fight your battles for ruining a body of water with the people you are supposed to. Not ME.
I notice you live in eastport while the people fighting against the plant live in perry where it's to be located, eh?
Also, Trom was swell enough to inform me that I was too stupid to buy property in canada OR maine.

Lovely, eh??

I think if anyone else has had this same experience with TROM they should report it and stop this abusive behavior.
It's not up to me whether some facility is built or not. The long term residents there know what they want or need but if a property I am looking at is to be effected I believe I am competent to decide whether it is a good thing or not.
Again, an LLC says right in the name: LIMITED LIABILITY. It is certainly a way to limit their exposure to damage. A corporation is completely different.
Again, I reiterate it appears that LNG purposely approached the poverty stricken natives to divide against the town. Divide and conquer the oldest trick in the book. I hope they can work it out for the good of everyone. Jobs are not necessarily a good thing. Like being desperate enough to take a prison .
If anyone would like to see these emails which were increasingly abusive from trom I would be happy to provide them. A few days after I told he/she/it to stop using scare tactics and attacks on my character I found the property he/she/it was pushing online. It's a nice enough property but dang it gives the real name. You should be ashamed trom.
Stop calling people names. It's VERY rude. Obviously YOU are not FROM maine.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:53 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
Default wow....

Maine, I'm sorry to hear that you've had that experience from Trom. That doesn't make me happy. I have to say that I don't know the exact numbers as far as who supports LNG and who doesn't, but to the best of my knowledge the residents of Perry are close to being evenly split. That's based on the voting. Concerning Eastport, from the people I've spoken with and from what I've overheard, most Eastporters do not support LNG in Perry. There are definate logistical concerns with the placement of that facility---for a wide variety of reasons. Personally I do not support LNG in Perry, but may support a Robbinston or even Calais facility. In reality, because the ship would need to pass through Canadian waters to reach any port in Eastport, Perry, Robbinston, or Calais, it will not be solely our decision anyway. Of course, there is the "fair trade agreement", but honestly, I'm just not sure how well that would hold in this instance. Frankly, I'd head further down the coastline if it were me. There just seems to be better locations.

Anyway....I see what you mean about the google map! I used google earth, and kept waiting for it to zoom (stream), and then realized that's 100%! I don't know how old any of this imagery is, but there hasn't been any construction of LNG....they don't have all their approvals or testing done yet. Right now there's quite a bit of road construction going on along Rt. 1, primarily widening and resurfacing. I do notice some areas that might be what you're referring to, but some of it looks like fields or cleared areas. What a stinky map huh? I'll look again tomorrow when I'm not so tired. Is there a way you can explain where on the map you're seeing it? Can you give the coordinates? Take care!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:10 PM

9 posts, read 31,119 times
The probem with the Downeast area with Google Earth is that they are using sattelite imagery not arial photography. Arial protography allows you to zoom in much better, so much so you can see your car in the driveway Maine's GIS site is down right now but when it is back up I will take a look and send you a link if it has ariel photos. As far as anything being built, I do not see anything that is out of place. I am very familiar with Perry and there are some very large fields and a swamp or two that jump out on google but nothing new. A lot of the data you get from google is often out dated anyway, don't put too much faith in it being up to date.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 PM

9 posts, read 18,636 times
Default LLC vs Corp

Anything can be 'somewhat' similar, especially in the 'legal world, & I dont think this anyway to justify anything. To me this is irresponsible 'developer' talk & I've heard plenty of that where I'm from. There are clear advantages to & benefits from an LLC & I'm sure there's a reason the company would choose this road.

LLC law & regulation does vary between states, Maine seems to have a lot of wording on the books but I wonder if it's all enforced and/or managed well -
Title 31 - Chapter 13, LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANIES (Enacted by PL 1993, c. 718, Pt. A, §1)

When I read about something like this I wonder why a utility company needs to form a LLC, guess that's a question for the local state congressional & other govt folks.

I also wonder how many other LLC/utilities there are in ME, it's up to the state as far as this goes, plenty of states do not allow certain businesses to operate as LLC's so ME has plenty of opportunity to modify the law - Limited Liability Companies Form LLC Law & Legal Definition

I am not very familiar with LNG facilities though, I'm sure there are benefits & some risks as well, as is the case with anything like this. But if I read from this site I probably would not want one nearby, and I definitely would not want it to be an LLC - Coalition for Responsible Siting of LNG Facilities Homepage

Old 07-23-2007, 04:27 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,935,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post
Actually TROM since you don't know my level of education I'd think you should refrain from addressing same.

For the record you can examine your OWN LLC's; I've formed my opinion and watched them in action. I don't really have an opinon on the gas thiing in maine but I do see the divisive way that the LLC has gone about it and did read what the residents had to say about it. Again, an LLC says right in the name: LIMITED LIABILITY. It is certainly a way to limit their exposure to damage. A corporation is completely different.
Actually, you are wrong. LLC's and Corporations are legal organizations that function as entities doing business and exist for a variety of reasons. Legally, LLC's operated exactly like both types of corporations. They limit the exposure of officers, directors and employees to certain kinds of personal liability, and in the case that damages are caused by the business, only the assets of the LLC, or corporation are exposed to suit.

So if an LLC is organized to run a utility, and LNG terminal or a toy store, the purpose is primarily for the security of the officers, directors and the employees not to screw the public out of anything.

I am the principal in two LLC's. One LLC owns real estate and the other owns a small industrial business. The ONLY reason that we chose the LLC form of incorporation was that we wanted to be able to transfer ownership of the company to my younger partner without the tax consequences which would have been incurred by either a "C" corporation or a Subchapter "S" corporation.

Corporations are formed normally when there are numerous people in the company and their assets are not directly involved in the company. Forming a corporation is not a small matter, regardless of whether the corporate form is an LLC, a Sub "S" or a "C" corporation. Once a corporation is registered with the state, there are income taxes, and other regular documentary filings that must be made both with the State and the Federal government that can be expensive.

ANY form of incorporation is much more than just a means by which someone can be deceived. Corporations must obey all of the laws of the jurisdiction in which they operate. Remember: corporations can be sued just like individuals, and they don't present an opportunity for a free ride.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 PM

HEY !! I love Acadia. Yes, you are not unscrupulous but I clearly remember when LLC's first became the rage in FL and then we found out why. For the unscrupulous, the LLC is a place to hide. Sorry I'm almost out of time. Wanted to point out the subtlety of honor vs deceit. You're you and others are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Actually, you are wrong. LLC's and Corporations are legal organizations that function as entities doing business and exist for a variety of reasons. Legally, LLC's operated exactly like both types of corporations. They limit the exposure of officers, directors and employees to certain kinds of personal liability, and in the case that damages are caused by the business, only the assets of the LLC, or corporation are exposed to suit.

So if an LLC is organized to run a utility, and LNG terminal or a toy store, the purpose is primarily for the security of the officers, directors and the employees not to screw the public out of anything.

I am the principal in two LLC's. One LLC owns real estate and the other owns a small industrial business. The ONLY reason that we chose the LLC form of incorporation was that we wanted to be able to transfer ownership of the company to my younger partner without the tax consequences which would have been incurred by either a "C" corporation or a Subchapter "S" corporation.

Corporations are formed normally when there are numerous people in the company and their assets are not directly involved in the company. Forming a corporation is not a small matter, regardless of whether the corporate form is an LLC, a Sub "S" or a "C" corporation. Once a corporation is registered with the state, there are income taxes, and other regular documentary filings that must be made both with the State and the Federal government that can be expensive.

ANY form of incorporation is much more than just a means by which someone can be deceived. Corporations must obey all of the laws of the jurisdiction in which they operate. Remember: corporations can be sued just like individuals, and they don't present an opportunity for a free ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine