Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:49 PM

290 posts, read 638,289 times

Advertisements

Shades of 'Seinfeld': Maine bottle scam alleged - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110211/ap_on_fe_st/us_bottle_scam - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 09:36 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,952,618 times
Yeah, a little bit interesting. I buy a few containers in NH from time to time and put them in with my cans when I redeem them in VT. I guess the playing field could be leveled in a couple of ways.

1. Have the manufacturer pad for a refund in all states through a slightly higher purchase price.
2. Have the same bottle laws in all 50 states.

Otherwise this will just go on and on. Seems the only people being hurt by this are the manufacturers. They could fix it by simply using a calculator.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 PM

846 posts, read 1,024,277 times
I have often thought of doing that. I seriously did not know it was against the law. Many bottles here have the deposit thingy on them. I think Maine was the 1st state to do that. I seem to remember it coming in when I was at my grandparents when I came home from my Asian high school graduation trip.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:28 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,665,738 times
I like it better in places where you just turn any can, bottle, glass jar, plastic container in for the recycle, because it is the right thing to do. But folks won't, I guess, since many won't even take the time to separate out the "nickels." I am still frustrated by the lack of plastic jar recycling in Maine. Yeah, milk jugs and the like, but MOST plastic is not able to be recycled here. I am a "recycle nazi" so there are many things I am reluctant to buy and, were I shopping only for myself, I would not.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:12 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,104,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I like it better in places where you just turn any can, bottle, glass jar, plastic container in for the recycle, because it is the right thing to do. But folks won't, I guess, since many won't even take the time to separate out the "nickels." I am still frustrated by the lack of plastic jar recycling in Maine. Yeah, milk jugs and the like, but MOST plastic is not able to be recycled here. I am a "recycle nazi" so there are many things I am reluctant to buy and, were I shopping only for myself, I would not.
Plastic recycling depends on the town, I think, Starwalker. I live in the Midcoast and we can recycle any plastic that has the triangular emblem on it. That's essentially every container made of plastic.

Square Peg said:
Quote:
Have the same bottle laws in all 50 states.
You'd think this would be the logical, rational thing to do, and it was headed that way in the early 1980s when a national Bottle Bill was introduced. But the container and supermarket industries HATE bottle laws, and they fought it tooth and nail in Congress.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:35 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,708,097 times
I think the deposit law in Maine should be repealed. Beverages would cost considerably less if distributors didn't have to deal with a zillion empty cans and bottles.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,402,409 times
I was against the bottle deposit from the get go. I have changed my mind. Here in the UP there are a number of people who regardless of the winter weather have a daily routine to scourer the entire area for discarded cans. For some it is their only income and there is no trash laying around. As a rural area we too have limited recycling and its bound to get worse in the current political climate. And to say on topic......there are threats to prosecute any scofflaws who turn in Wisconsin cans for a MI deposit. It happens all the time, I'm sure. IMO a nationwide law would be smart, but no chance of it happening. (WI has a strong tavern league and used to have big breweries, hence no deposit.)

Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,104,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I think the deposit law in Maine should be repealed. Beverages would cost considerably less if distributors didn't have to deal with a zillion empty cans and bottles.
I could see that argument if beverage costs actually were "considerably" lower in non-Bottle Bill states (independent of the deposits themselves), but I haven't seen any evidence of it, to be honest. Granted, I have limited experience -- NH and Nebraska most recently. Can you cite some numbers, Maineah?

Old 02-12-2011, 11:27 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,560,407 times
I'm old enough to remember when the streets, roads and highways in Maine were used as dumps for beer cans and bottles mostly with some soda bottles, and that was the motivation for us to be the first state to have "returnables". Maine's roads were becoming a disgusting mess. It was a good idea then and still is . It cleaned up the sides of the roads almost immediately. No one wants to go back to that. I think this is being made a big story as LePage would like to do away with the law as, to him, it is something that "business" doesn't want to deal with.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,037,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I'm old enough to remember when the streets, roads and highways in Maine were used as dumps for beer cans and bottles mostly with some soda bottles, and that was the motivation for us to be the first state to have "returnables". Maine's roads were becoming a disgusting mess. It was a good idea then and still is . It cleaned up the sides of the roads almost immediately. No one wants to go back to that. I think this is being made a big story as LePage would like to do away with the law as, to him, it is something that "business" doesn't want to deal with.
I'm old enough to remember when manufacturers switched from glass bottles to plastic bottles (the contents of which, I swear, do not taste as good as from a glass bottle), the excuse for doing so was that the consumer would no longer have to pay a deposit and return the bottle.

After a few years of those disoposable plastic bottles becoming a major component of litter, they then also required a desposit, so you had to return them too.

Similar to when cable TV first came out--it's great, you pay to watch it, so there's no commercials!

Or when pop-top beverage cans made their appearance: no can opener (church keys, they were called) needed!

Wouldn't you know, it wasn't long before supermakrets were selling a pop-top can opener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine