Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 11:37 AM

90 posts, read 343,053 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info about North Berwick Maine? I have a friend who is moving from Long Island NY to Maine. They came across some land in this area but don't know much about the area. How are the schools, people, drugs etc... Is realestate affordable ? they looked at a piece of land on a pond , its off of route 9 and its 15 acres not subdivideable for 155,000 . I thought that was pretty high price for Maine, but maybe i am wrong, i really thought prices for property were cheaper up in Maine. Does anyone know of water front property around that area? Which areas to stay away from etc... all info would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 09:38 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
North Berwick is ok. Downtown is about 5 buildings. Pizza place, town hall, convenience store, maybe video rental? Not much to do there or eat. You can always travel to Wells (25 min) to find a nice dinner. I cant think of any areas in that town to stay away from. Its all pretty much the same.

Real estate is affordable, but.... real estate prices are very high right now. Not a good time to buy if you plan on living there short term.

Waterfront, hmmm. there is Bauneg Beg Pond. But very small.
Bauneg Beg Lake1

15 acres, cant subdivide? or not subdivided yet? If it "can" be subdivided, it sounds like it could be a good deal. At least when you retire or move you could sell off the lots. If its wetland, you'll never get it subdivided. If you cant subdivide, the taxes on 15.5 acres with a nice house and tons of water front frontage will be very, very expensive.

Another important thing to ask about land in southern maine is if it comes with a building permit. People in southern maine (anything south of sanford) sometimes wait 5 years (sometimes longer) to get a building permit because of town growth controls. If it can be subdivided, start immediately. Might take 10 years to go through the process.

This the property?

If yes, this pond is very small. I drove by it a couple of times.
Cider Mill Pond

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:43 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Just thought. You might not be able to install a septic tank that close to a pond, ever. Something to check into.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,404 times
This area is west of Kittery which is an oceanside town with many amenities.The fall is a special time there. Rich colors and amazing light.Down East Magazine has done some stories on it. It is 8 miles from the ocean (Kittery), Wels, Ogunquit.,so if that is something of interest it is nearby. You may get reviews of schools by going on GreatSchools.net. Now 155,000. would buy you a small ocean cottage in Milbridge Maine which is 200 miles up the coast. In Sullivan 155K would but you deep water oceanfront land. Check out REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale. That part of Maine is touristy, which appeals to many people. Towns nearby such as Ogunquit, Keenebunport and beautiful. I prefer acreage and forest which is on the ocean. I have land in Milbrige and Lamoine.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:57 PM

90 posts, read 343,053 times
Thanks so much for the info, i will pass it on. They should be up on August 5th to look around for some land. They really want about 2 acres . They love the logcabin look, maybe they can find an existing house and won't have to build. Thanks again !!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:27 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Any updates on North Berwick from those that live in or are familiar with the area?

My mother plans to look at a house in a rural part of town this week. My parents are both retired and want a quiet town with low property taxes not far from amenities. Google maps shows 8-9 miles to I-95 and Wells beach. Sounds fantastic!

Old 01-16-2011, 08:53 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
I lived in Eliot as a kid in the sixties and went to school with kids from South Berwick. I think that whole area from North Berwick down still has the same rural feel as it did back then. It is freeway close, ocean close and Fenway is just down a ways. You can buy stuff in NH and smuggle it over the border back to ME and put it to the man too.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
The previous posters did cover the quaint, rural feel of North Berwick, but do check the actual property tax comparisons. I wouldn't call it a low tax town. There a three major employers in town, Pratt Whitney, Hussey Seating, and Pike Industries. Other than that it is mostly a bedroom community for Boston and NH. I live near the Wells, Sanford, North Berwick border. It is a nice countrified 'burb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine