Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 PM

207 posts, read 285,126 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are planning on doing a week in Southern Maine before winter. We are thinking about a hotel in York that we were looking at and I had some questions about the surrounding areas.

How is crime in York, Portland, and Portsmouth, NH? If I'd be better off asking about Portsmouth in the NH forums that is fine. I'm sure it's no Detroit up there but I figured I'd ask. A little bit of crime wouldn't bother us.

Where are the best places to go to eat/drink/hand out? Is there any towns I really shouldn't even bother with due to lack of interesting things to do? While our hotel will be in York, we will most likely be traveling around, mainly to Portland and hitting up Portsmouth on our last day since it's apparantly a lot smaller. I've done some research on the area and like what I see, but I figured I'd come here and ask some locals. Sny info would help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 03:22 AM

19,971 posts, read 30,278,373 times
heading north on rte 1 from york, you hit wells, and kennebunk, and kennebunkport- Id check out kennebunk beach- and kennebunkport, very pretty areas, and it's after the tourist season, so wont be congested

old orchard beach is a pretty area too

these towns, like york, are right on the coast

Old 08-17-2011, 05:18 AM

570 posts, read 1,342,180 times
We just spent a few days in the Portland/Southern Maine area. We pretty much went all over, and never once felt at all unsafe. We didn't see many 'unsavory' characters, and in fact all of the locals we talked with were very nice & helpful. And my husband is in law enforcement, so he tends to notice most things, lol!

EDIT - adding to comment: Can't stress enough how nice the locals were. I'm sure there must be some criminal element, as you will have that anywhere you go. But out of all the places I have ever visited, I would say that Maine is a place I have never felt I had to worry about crime.

Last edited by daydreamin71; 08-17-2011 at 05:32 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 05:53 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,540,054 times
I would start at Kennebunk, head to Portland, then alittle more north up the coast to Freeport then Boothbay.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:25 AM

48,214 posts, read 22,037,561 times
The beach at Ogunquit is outstanding.....and the Marginal Way walk over to Perkins Cove is truly breath taking.

The state park at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth (near Portland) is also spectacular.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:10 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,450,693 times
Crime feels almost non-existent in Portsmouth and southern Maine. I've never felt uncomfortable walking in Portsmouth or Portland at night; just be sensible and walk in pairs or groups when passing through areas with lots of people or alleys and you should be fine.

Depending on when you're visiting, a lot of shops and restaurants may be closed for the season (once the "leaf peepers" leave.) If you're arriving in late October or November, most antique shops in Wells will be closed and many restaurants in York & Ogunquit will be closed. Stick to enjoying nature and architecture (the Marginal Way, Nubble Light, Kennebunk's beach, the Portland lighthouse) and you should have a great time. For the nightlife, Portsmouth will have the most going on at bars/restaurants past Oct. 15. If you want to stay primarily in York at night, I'd recommend the Ship's Cellar Pub at the York Harbor Inn.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:49 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,557,667 times
Depending on what month you are going to be in York, things to do may vary. Most of the tourists are gone by mid October. You might check out the Portland waterfront and take one of the Ferry's there to Peakes Island - the closest - or one of the other islands. There is a very nice Art Museum in downtown Portland "Portland Museum of Art". Strawberry Bank is well worth visiting in Portsmouth on the waterfront, and I believe it is open year round. This is a museum with special houses for each decade in history up through 1950 I believe. A good place for dinner in Portsmouth is "The Library" yes that is the name of a dining establishment. It has a nice bar area too. A more casual place to eat that I have been to is "The Rusty Hammer" in the center of town.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:11 PM

207 posts, read 285,126 times
All comments are dually noted. Thanks for all the tips.
No leaf watching for me, I get plenty of time to do that here in PA. I didn't think crime would be much of an issue in those areas but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. We'd most likely be there before Halloween time. Looking forward to it.

On a side note, we were looking at a place called Stage Neck Inn. The only thing I wasn't huge on was the price. Is it worth it or am I still better off at the other places mentioned?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:17 PM

186 posts, read 570,751 times
Definitely go to Ogunquit ME and walk along the Marginal Way, it's beautiful. And then take boat ride (either lobster run or lighthouse cruise) from Finestkind cruises at Perkins Cove which is at the beginning or end of the Marginal Way. They're not expensive either so it's very economical.

Went to Maine the first time in 2009 and found it to be the most ideal post card vaca I've been on yet. Enjoy!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 PM

72 posts, read 205,627 times
Federal Jacks in Kennebunk is a tasty place to eat. I too am in law enforcement, and feel quite safe in all the areas mentioned above. As a matter of fact, I plan on moving my family to York county in the near future, as soon as I find a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine