Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, appreciate any help you can offer.

We're (me, DH, 2 boys aged 11) thinking of going to the Bethel Inn for a week in August. I'll be using RCI points, so we're "stuck" with this place. I don't mean "stuck" in a bad way, but just to let you know changing locations is not possible.

From what I've read, there's not much to do in the immediate Bethel area in the summertime, luckily we're not against driving *too far* to do things. I'd love to go to Acadia/Bar Harbor, but it's simply too far for a daily trip (~4 hrs each way I understand).

So far I want to go to Bretton Woods to take the Cog Railway and experience Mt. Washington. Also, I imagine we'll take a day and go to Portland/Freeport. We're also all about hitting new states, so we'll pop over to Vermont one day (DH and I have been, boys haven't). Other than that, anything else you can suggest?

Appreciate the insight and can't wait to spend time in your beautiful state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:47 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Hi, my family and I are all from Massachusetts but we have a vacation home in Bethel. While the summer doesn't have the wide array of things to do that the winter does, or the scenery of the autumn, it's not a bad time to go to Bethel. There's enough to keep everyone entertained.

The Bethel Inn and Country Club is a nice little complex. It's rustic and cute. There is a decent restaurant right on site, but in my opinion the best restaurant in town is down the street called the Sudbury Inn. Downtstairs from the Inn there is a pub called "Suds Pub" with live music and an all round enjoyable atmosphere. The town itself is cute and there are some nice little shops to take in while visiting.

The children will really enjoy the Big Adventure Center which has mini-golf, water slides, lazer tag, indoor rock climbing, etc ( BIG Adventure Center ). You can also rent ATVs from various outfitters and take tours of the woods that way... it's a lot of fun. Try canoing in Bethel too... it's an excelent way to spend an afternoon ( Bethel Outdoor Adventure & Campground - Route 2, Bethel Maine - 800 533-3607 ). There's plenty of golfing and hiking in the area as well.

Also, consider whitewater rafting on the kennebec river about 2.5 hours drive East of Bethel. Crab Apple Outfitters is one of the favorites ( Maine White Water Rafting - White Water Rafting in Maine ) and it's a great adventure for the whole family.

If you're going to see Mount Washington, the Cog Railway is an excellent experience. I'd also consider hiking it, or driving up on the Mount Washington Auto Road ( Mount Washington Auto Road ).

While in the Mt. Washington area, don't skip over North Conway. It's a great town with a lot to do. First, check out the Conway Scenic Railway ( Conway Scenic Railroad ). It's a fun train ride on gorgeous restored classic rail cars that give you a great and unique view of the White Mountains and beyond. Next, if you're kids like rides, check out Storyland: Story Land . At age 11, your boys will be on the older end of the target demographic, but they'll still enjoy the rides and the park.

The Alpine Slide, near N. Conway on Attitash Mountain is a BLAST in the summer time. It's literally like a luge (minus the ice) on a sled you control down the mountain. They also have water slides on site. here's the website: Attitash | Alpine Slide- The Best New Hampshire Skiing With NHs Most Powerful Snowmaking System (http://www.attitash.com/alpineslide.html - broken link) . Also look over the other activities on that page. There is downhill mountain biking, a pool, scenic chairlift rides, etc.

The zipline at Wildcat Mountain is fun too: Fly Wildcat on the ZipRider- the area's newest attraction at Wildcat Mountain Ski Resort in Pinkham Notch New Hampshire

While in town, I recommend eating at Delany's Hole in the Wall on Main Street ( Delaney's Hole in the Wall - Homepage ). It's good pub food with home made root beer and cream soda as well as some pretty good sushi. There are a ton of other restaurants in town along the main street and rail station area so check them out too.

Shopping in N. Conway is fun too. They have a bunch of shops on the Main street in the center of town (many local crafts and clothes, etc... even a huge candy shop). There's also a factory outlet village in N. Conway as well ( Settlers' Green Outlet Village ).

More info on N. Conway and the area here: New Hampshire Chamber of Commerce | North Conway Lodging Jackson NH Village Vacation Tourism Mt. Washington Valley

Seeing Portland and Freeport is fun too. Freeport has the outlets and LL Bean... check out the "adventure schools" at LL Bean ( L.L.Bean: Outdoor Discovery Schools ).

Portland has the Old Port area and the "Arts District" which really comprise about 90% of downtown Portland which is a small, walkable, compact area. If you want a cool dining experience but don't care TOO much about the quality of food, check out Dimillo's Floating Restaurant ( DiMillo's Floating Restaurant - Seafood, Beef & Italian Fare on the Portland Waterfront ). It's an old ferry boat which has been converted to a restaurant on Portland's harbor. It offers nice views but is a bit touristy for my liking and the food is mediocre. Fore Street and Hugo's are good bets to see the best of Portland's food scene.

You may want to take the ferry out to Peaks Island or Great Diamond Island for a few hours as even the ride itself is pretty.

For more entertainment, head about 1/2 hour south of Portland to Old Orchard Beach (Old Orchard Beach Maine Vacation, Oceanfront, Lodging, Dining, Family, Resorts ). This is more of your prototypical crowded beach town with a pier, some rides in the town center and a big 'ol beach. Funtown USA in Saco is a fun little amusement park as well ( Funtown Splashtown USA ).

To see some more unique parts of the coast, I'd suggest heading to Ft. William State Park in Cape Elizabeth and checking out the old fort and the Portland Head Lighthouse ( Welcome to Portland Head Light ).

A little closer to Bethel you have Naples and the Lakes region. This area is beautiful. Naples is a nice little town with lots of activities. You can take a cruise on the Songo River Queen (an old steamboat) and really take in some of the scenery ( The Songo River Queen II - Maine boat cruises for groups, weddings and functions ). There are also seaplane rides out of Naples as well.

This is just a start, but I hope you find some interesting ideas and somewhere to begin. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by lrfox; 01-26-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
WOW - this has to be one of the most informative posts I've yet to read in a state forum. My thoughts have now changed from "how on earth are we going to spend a week there" to "we'll never get to everything"!!!!

Thank you SOOO much. My DH has done the Alpine Slide in Attitash before (we used to have one in NJ too, way too much fun!) so that's on our list, and I saw they have horseback riding too. I showed my boys the link to the ZIP line and they're ALL over that, so we'll put that on the list too.

I really, really appreciate the advice!!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 AM

^Thanks! I've spent time in that area every year since I was a baby. Before we vacationed in Bethel, we had a place in N. Conway so I am familiar with that whole stretch of land. My mother used to have to keep us entertained for weeks at a time up there so it's easy to go on memory.

One more thing I forgot to mention was Diana's Bath waterfall in the N. Conway area. here's a youtube video of the falls:
YouTube - Diana's Bath in New Hampshire . This is on west side road in N. Conway. It's a short hike (1/2 mile) and you end up at a long, cascading waterfall that's really beautiful. You can play in the waterfall so if it's a hot day, the kids will enjoy that (and you might too!).

Anyway, I'm sure others have some good suggestions as well, so let's hear them. I do hope you enjoy the trip.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:24 PM

393 posts, read 982,173 times
My only comment would be to avoid the Mt. Washington Cog Railway. It's a total rip-off. If you don't want to hike up the Mt. or drive yourself, you'll pay less if you take the van service than if you do the cog railway. And make sure to check the weather before you go. It's not much fun if you get up there and are totally fogged in. If you wait for a gloriously clear day, you'll have a GREAT time. Mt. Washington is not to be missed, but you have to catch it at just the right time.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:40 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There is a decent restaurant right on site, but in my opinion the best restaurant in town is down the street called the Sudbury Inn. !
Hi,
Is Mother's Restaurant still there on Main?
If Sue and Dave (Chef, Sue's his wife who runs the front) are still running it, one simply can't go wrong. Everything made from scratch; their own recipes. And they were always the strictest in town as far as cleaniness -- and freshness. (I worked in the busness, so this was very noticable :>)
Their Blueberry Cobbler is beyond phenominal but their food overall = can't be beat.

They are (were) open for lunch and dinner. I hope they are still there.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Hi,
Is Mother's Restaurant still there on Main?
If Sue and Dave (Chef, Sue's his wife who runs the front) are still running it, one simply can't go wrong. Everything made from scratch; their own recipes. And they were always the strictest in town as far as cleaniness -- and freshness. (I worked in the busness, so this was very noticable :>)
Their Blueberry Cobbler is beyond phenominal but their food overall = can't be beat.

They are (were) open for lunch and dinner. I hope they are still there.
Unfortunately, mothers is gone. When it was open, it was my favorite place in town. I ordered the seafood florintine just about every time. It was replaced with a place called "S.S. Milton." which wasn't bad. I actually think that's gone now too (not sure, I'm going to be in Bethel tomorrow so I'll check).

Yes, we were pretty upset when Mothers changed hands (and names)... No other place in Bethel is quite as good. We became friendly with much of the staff (many of whom stayed when it became S.S. Milton) so it was sad to see it close.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
Thanks, lrfox. Truly sorry to hear it.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
I've been camping there for the last two labor day weekends at the Bethel campground. They offer kayak trips out of there, they will shuttle you up the river with the rental kayaks and drop you off. You paddle down the scenic river back to the campsite. They have two different trips on is about 2-3 hours, the other is about 4-6 hours. If you're lucky you'll see some wildlife out there on the riverbed, moose, bear, bald eagles etc.

There is a good little diner on the main road there where everyone goes for breakfast in the morning.

From Bethel you're about 30 minutes from Tuckerman's Ravine hiking trail up Mt. Washington. If you plan on hiking Mt. Washington be prepared, leave early and get a weather report. Bring water and snacks and an extra layer of clothes, it gets cold as you get past tree line. It's a very grueling hike to the summit and not for everyone. Don't take it lightly. There is a halfway point many visitors hike to and then hike back down.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine