Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:44 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
one observation, while travelling in a tourist town is- when you slow to let people cross the street,-you may gesture with a hand wave for them to cross, well , I notice if it's a native mainer, they will give you a little hand wave thank you, and quickly cross, as opposed to a tourist (usually a middle-aged lady with a hat,) will slowly cross but give you a disgusted stare, like, how dare you wave me across, and the quicker the hand motion to tell them to cross, the more disgusted the stare

the spandex bike riders can be very annoying too, riding in the middle of the road, It's a wonder more of them aren't picked off.
I sometimes wish i had a car horn in the sound of a machine gun
I've noticed the last few years the tourists like to walk across the street by walking up it katty-corner. They keep their eyes looking away from you for the most part, only glancing to the side a bit to keep you in their periferal. Kind of an arrogant "I'm in control and watching you" sort of thing. WTH, their entitled, right?

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 06-18-2011 at 06:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 07:55 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Quote:
My dad had a citroen with a city beep-beep horn and a country air horn louder than a train. One day we agreed to meet them somewhere at a MacDonalds, and when we drove in, Dad used the air horn to alert us that he was there first.

Unfortunately some poor lady was right in front of his car carrying about 6 drinks and three bags of Maccie food. She jumped three feet into the air, and dad needed to pay for half her food which sailed everywhere.

I'm sure you could get a machine gun sound, but I'm also sure that you would be arrested for disturbing the public peace or threatening a castastrophe.

I called up the state police one time to ask whether I could put a set of headlights on my rear of my car to stop the night time tailgators with their high beams on me. The cop said it wasn't illegal, but.... that I'd better hope that HE wasn't the car behind me when I turned them on.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:35 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
... I called up the state police one time to ask whether I could put a set of headlights on my rear of my car to stop the night time tailgators with their high beams on me. The cop said it wasn't illegal, but.... that I'd better hope that HE wasn't the car behind me when I turned them on.
Once, long ago, while living in an urban area, I got tired of tail-gators who loved to use their high-beams. I looked and looked and found thin plastic sheets that were mirrors. I cut them in thin strips and glued them on as trim around my rear license plate, tail-lights, trunk edging, rear-bumper accents, etc. So that anyone approaching from behind me was looking at dozens of small mirrors. High-beams seemed to be reduced after that.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
one observation, while travelling in a tourist town is- when you slow to let people cross the street,-you may gesture with a hand wave for them to cross, well , I notice if it's a native mainer, they will give you a little hand wave thank you, and quickly cross, as opposed to a tourist (usually a middle-aged lady with a hat,) will slowly cross but give you a disgusted stare, like, how dare you wave me across, and the quicker the hand motion to tell them to cross, the more disgusted the stare

the spandex bike riders can be very annoying too, riding in the middle of the road, It's a wonder more of them aren't picked off.
LOL! That's awesome...I'd get one, as well. Actually, don't really need one of those around here but sure could have used one where I came from. hahahahhaha!

Old 06-19-2011, 04:10 PM

191 posts, read 519,161 times
sort of, we live very close to a small one (Bethel). It really gets most of the tourists in winter because of the skiiers. We intentionally chose this area as we did not want to move to a town that virtually empties out in the winter. It's not overwhelming though - not like what we left in FL when the snowbirds come for winter. In the winter when it's busy - we may not get our usual seats at the bar in our favorite pub, but there aren't people waiting for hours to get a table when you go out to dinner (like in FL). No complaints here - so far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine