Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 04:45 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times

Advertisements

NewDad,
Welcome to Maine.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:10 PM

228 posts, read 221,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Why not get yourself involved? Instead of ranting about things on a forum, do something about it. Run for public office, do your part to change things. If everyone had your attitude nothing would ever be changed.
Sounds like you want others to change, but you cannot be bothered to help them do so.
You said in an earlier post that its the police dept's job to watch an indoor skate park (if there was one). Why should it be up to the police? Volunteer to help. Get Involved with your community. Maybe other folks are willing to get involved but they just need someone to make the first move. These officials have to be elected, so get yourself a group and go out and PUSH for changes. Actions speak louder than words.
Okay Number one if you read my posts I never said if we had a indoor skate park it would be the police dept. job to watch it!The last thing our young people need are our police station. They need people to treat them like there not the enemy! And if we had a indoor skate park I would be glad to volunteer my time.And We don't vote in the police, lawyer's,judges,or business owner's at least I don't believe we do.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:09 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's tell the truth View Post
Hi Sorry don't take med's. I know maybe I should!I figure I'll get that in before someone else does I am planning on moving because I am one of the lucky ones who can afford to escape. But what about the people who can't afford to leave here? I do love the country up here but the good people up here are losing the war. Thank's for passing the word onto your friend's maybe they can explain that what I have been saying is true. Believe it or not I am sad to think I have to leave this beautiful area(land not people)

Best of luck to you with your move.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:58 AM

104 posts, read 338,692 times
A great community that is about 25-30 minutes south of Portland is Kennebunk. They have a great school system that offers students a wide variety of activities and academics opportunities. If you need more info just PM me.
Good luck with your search

Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 AM

93 posts, read 354,887 times
Thanks to everyone for their warm welcomes and great replies!

If anyone else loves the town they live in let me know what town and what it is that you love about it!

Thanks,

James

Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 AM

My favorite town in Maine is my hometown of Brooklin. Not alot there, but its grown some, due to the influx of transplants. Used to know everyone in town, but no more.
I'd never move back there as there is nothing there for us. But its a nice place to visit.
(p.s. my mom would kill me if she read this...she says they have too many transplants as it is. LOL)

Old 08-09-2007, 09:53 AM

14 posts, read 62,655 times
You may want to check out MESDA: Maine Software & Information Technology Industry Association, Maine Technology Company Resource & Advocate . They are based out of Westbrook, just outside Portland and have ongoing job placement, training and networking systems in place.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
My favorite town in Maine is my hometown of Brooklin. Not alot there, but its grown some, due to the influx of transplants. Used to know everyone in town, but no more.
I'd never move back there as there is nothing there for us. But its a nice place to visit.
(p.s. my mom would kill me if she read this...she says they have too many transplants as it is. LOL)
alison,,,if i remember correctly,,brooklin is just east of sedgewick? southeast of blue hill?
i like that town,,,a quaint fishing community,,,yet most of the waterfront, probly has been bought up from ,,out of staters, this has happened where i grew up along the coast,,,its not such a bad thing,,,with more people,,,more chance of locals to start there own businesses and have more choices in life,
the phrase we hear alot amongst the maine natives, are ,,you(transplants) are welcomed here,,,but please dont try to transform our little town into the town you moved out of..and respect our way of life,,,dont hold your nose or say ewwwwwwww, if a fisherman walks into a local store,(you cant help but have a little aroma,,after handling bait all morning, or all day

Old 08-10-2007, 09:42 AM

You got the location right. I go to Brooklin twice a year..Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I don't know many locals there who can afford waterfront property anymore.
I hardly recognize Brooklin Boat Yard anymore. When my dad worked there, I think there were 8 employees, now I am sure its closer to 100. Used to swim there, but no more. No room. LOL
My time was spent between home in Brooklin and my grandparents' in Sedgwick. Have some very fond memories of those times. I wonder how many of today's youth will ever do the things we used to. We would take off in my cousin's skiff and spend the day exploring an island. Spend an evening mackeral fishing? Ah, those were the good old days.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 PM

27 posts, read 76,178 times
New Dad - take heart. All of us Mainers are not whacko like some of the posters on here. I personally have lived in Maine all of my life, so far. I love the Central Maine area. It's more quiet than Ptld. I'm an avid outdoor enthusiast - hiking, biking, kayaking are my hobbies, and I never run out of new pursuits. The Augusta area is commuting distance to Ptld (45min), and may have jobs in your field. There are beautiful farms with acreage that can be bought for about $150k. Check out JobsInME.com - Local Maine jobs, careers and employment (Home) for jobs available. It's an excellent site. Also check out MaineToday.com - It's what's happening for the local newspapers for Central and Southern/Western Maine. Maine also has tons of historic forts - Old Ft. Western in Augusta is the oldest wooden fort in all or North America! Quite a nice boast for the state. We also have a lot of Civil War reenacting groups here. The Waterville area is pristine - Colby College is located there and there is lots of country living just a stone's throw away. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine