Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:10 PM

11 posts, read 11,516 times

Advertisements

Hi, all. My husband and I are tired of hiding in the air conditioning all summer here in Virginia and, as he'll be retiring in a couple of years, we've just started looking at possible locations to run away to during the summer months. I'm a potter and we'd like to find a vibrant small town on the coast where I could set up a studio and sell to summer tourists (and locals). Ideally, we'd love to buy a store front in a downtown location with an apartment above. Towns with populations of about 10,000 or so appeal most to us. Real estate would have to be somewhat reasonable, maybe $300,000-$400,000 range. Also, were not stuck on Maine necessarily. We just want somewhere where the summers are pleasant and the living is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,261,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger55 View Post
Hi, all. My husband and I are tired of hiding in the air conditioning all summer here in Virginia and, as he'll be retiring in a couple of years, we've just started looking at possible locations to run away to during the summer months. I'm a potter and we'd like to find a vibrant small town on the coast where I could set up a studio and sell to summer tourists (and locals). Ideally, we'd love to buy a store front in a downtown location with an apartment above. Towns with populations of about 10,000 or so appeal most to us. Real estate would have to be somewhat reasonable, maybe $300,000-$400,000 range. Also, were not stuck on Maine necessarily. We just want somewhere where the summers are pleasant and the living is good.
you should come for a visit or vaca, and drive up rte 1 along the maine coastline-see if any towns appeal to you

Old 08-02-2011, 07:19 PM

Default Vacation, here we come!

Great idea. We do plan to do exactly that with some friends sometime next summer. Can you suggest any specific towns we shouldn't miss?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,113,744 times
mudslinger, I had suggestions for you until I hit the "populations of about 10,000". If you're willing to adjust that number (down!) I think you'd have more great places to research and visit. I think towns way Downeast, as we'd say, might be too remote, even though the prices would be reasonable. My suggestion would be to get a good map of coastal Maine, follow it with your finger, stop when it looks like a town might be in a good location, and then research that town online. There are quite a few places where you could relocate to fit your ideas, but with the population number that high you might really limit those choices and eliminate some great possibilities.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Default Should have said 10,000 or less

If I could figure out how to edit my original post, I would. What I'd like is a small town with 10,000 really being the max. The smaller the better for my taste as long as it had enough tourism, etc. to support my pottery business.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:09 PM

393 posts, read 983,056 times
Maine is FULL of potters like yourself. I'm not saying that you won't succeed, but just realize that many people have the idea that they will sell their pottery to the tourist trade. In my small town of 235 people, there are at least 3 potters.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 PM

Yikes, maybe I should look for one of them that's retiring and selling their business. Also, I'm open to pretty much anywhere in New England, not just Maine.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:50 PM

63 posts, read 137,341 times
If you are looking throughout New England you should check out Newport RI. Small community with a massive summer tourist market. I used to work at the Brick Market in downtown. index

Old 08-03-2011, 07:07 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,113,744 times
These are two of my favorites:

Sheepscot River Pottery.Com

Connie's Clay of Fundy

Located in very different areas, but both able to market online as well as in their locations, and the online makes a difference.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Thanks, but I've already got quite an internet following. My dream is to have a shop in a small town with lots of foot traffic. I really enjoy and learn from the interaction with my customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine