Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 07:27 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, that new Hyatt is butt-ugly......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 12:36 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I know it's gone, but where did the dry dock go?

Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,520 times
I am looking to relocate to Maine from NewJersey, specifically looking in the Parsonsfield area, was wondering how these remote areas like, Cornish ,Parsonsfield , limerick areas classify as being "rural", any feedback would be helpful.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:14 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockmakerman View Post
I am looking to relocate to Maine from NewJersey, specifically looking in the Parsonsfield area, was wondering how these remote areas like, Cornish ,Parsonsfield , limerick areas classify as being "rural", any feedback would be helpful.
You should create a new post.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:58 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockmakerman View Post
Just a wild guess, but I would say they are rural because they aren't built up or real close to a populated area.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:35 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Just a wild guess, but I would say they are rural because they aren't built up or real close to a populated area.
Depends where in NJ you are from. Northern NJ can be pretty empty. You should go there and then imagine what you do in your spare time or want to do, especially if you have lots more time.

You might find that things you do for fun to get away from the wild city life, won’t be as fun if that is all you have to do at all.

I found, after owning property that was 40 acres of woods surrounded by 600 acres of woods, 25 miles from the nearest town of any significance, that after awhile it was just too isolated. However, when I went there for a week in the summer and on weekends it was a wonderful break from my more hectic suburban life.

Now I live on a quiet road, with a wilderness view, and without sight of my neighbors through woods on both sides of me. But I’m only 5-10 miles from food stores, decent restaurants, and a good emergency hospital. I’m an hour away from the Symphony and all kinds of cultural stuff at the University of Maine in Bangor.
I would have had to drive almost 2 hours to get those things in my wooded location, and 20 miles to the nearest hospital.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:20 AM

217 posts, read 199,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
You just moved to Vassalboro in 2015. Have you been to Portland? Do you know the history of the Old Port?

You don't even know of the BIW drydock they removed to make way for the cruise ships.

You should educate yourself on the state you moved to.
If you're going to state an opinion on a particular topic, perhaps you should leave your stupid politics out of it. Certainly not the work of an experienced opinion giver.

I do agree that the Hyatt looks out of place, but I try to stay away from Portland as much as possible, thank you.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:09 PM

189 posts, read 301,543 times
Responding to the original subject of the post, I think that while Maine has precisely the same problems as many other rural places, most of those places aren't perceived as paradise by people who don't live in them. Over the years, I've found an astonishing number of people whose perception of Maine is delusional in the extreme, and who will not be persuaded otherwise by people who actually live here. A lot of them do come here eventually but, in almost every case, they last no more than a few years before going back to (presumably) where they came from. Not many people dream of living in rural Texas or Indiana, but many dream of a Maine that exists only in their imaginations.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:10 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo129 View Post
Responding to the original subject of the post, I think that while Maine has precisely the same problems as many other rural places, most of those places aren't perceived as paradise by people who don't live in them. Over the years, I've found an astonishing number of people whose perception of Maine is delusional in the extreme, and who will not be persuaded otherwise by people who actually live here. A lot of them do come here eventually but, in almost every case, they last no more than a few years before going back to (presumably) where they came from. Not many people dream of living in rural Texas or Indiana, but many dream of a Maine that exists only in their imaginations.
hmm I have been here for 12 years so far. How many years do you think it takes?

Old 12-15-2017, 07:37 AM

189 posts, read 301,543 times
Submariner, my remark was of course a generalization based on my own experience. We've been here for about 20 years. Of all the many people "from away" that we've met in the course of living and working here, all but one are gone. I love Maine, but it's not for everyone and it's definitely different from what many people expect when coming here. Everyone's experience is different, but I think people would be wise to place a greater weight on the advice of people who live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine