Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 04:33 PM

63 posts, read 99,651 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, wife and I are headed to Portland for the City and Colour and Noah Gundersen concert. We plan on spending the first day in Portland, then heading north along Route 1. It'll give us a full day Wednesday to explore, then part of Thursday before we head back to Syracuse.

I realize that to get the best views and see "real" Maine, you have to get off Route 1.

Any suggestions for our Wednesday or Thursday trip? I've been reading up some responses and suggestions on TripAdvisor and Maine websites but most of the responses are 5+ years old and geared toward Fall travelers, so I wanted to check here too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 05:36 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,406,007 times
One recommendation: Reid State Park is a beautiful place to walk along the beach and scramble across the rocks. Take Route 127 south from Woolwich and follow it to the sign for Reid State Park/Seguinland Road. At the end of Route 127 is Five Islands Lobster Company. Enjoy the uniquely Maine scene with the islands and ocean while eating delicious seafood.

The Dairy Queen at Route 1/Woolwich/Route 127 is also recommended! Great blizzards and caramel moolattes.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:17 PM

Looks like we'll be in Maine all day Wednesday and Thursday too, decided to head back Friday.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:37 PM

321 posts, read 487,050 times
What sorts of things do you like to do? Knowing more about that would help us provide suggestions that are tailored to your interests.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:17 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balatro View Post
Hey everyone, wife and I are headed to Portland for the City and Colour and Noah Gundersen concert. We plan on spending the first day in Portland, then heading north along Route 1. It'll give us a full day Wednesday to explore, then part of Thursday before we head back to Syracuse.

I realize that to get the best views and see "real" Maine, you have to get off Route 1.

Any suggestions for our Wednesday or Thursday trip? I've been reading up some responses and suggestions on TripAdvisor and Maine websites but most of the responses are 5+ years old and geared toward Fall travelers, so I wanted to check here too.
To reach N maine you're better off getting on 95, drive north 4 hrs then get back on rt 1.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post
What sorts of things do you like to do? Knowing more about that would help us provide suggestions that are tailored to your interests.
We certainly both love seafood and are looking to find unique places to eat it. That said, we like visiting breweries as well. I especially love trying unique foods of places that I visit. When visiting China I ate my fair share of organ meats and bugs, for example. I have a rather strong stomach and like trying exotic things.

I enjoy walking the streets of unique coastal towns and popping into museums that cater to local history and culture. I especially love visiting beautiful churches. The wife is more into small galleries, local music or live music venues, and just about anything artistic.

We're looking for more quality over quantity as far as towns to visit/things to do. So, we've tentatively discussed trying to keep our trip between Portland and Bar Harbor, as we'll be back closer to October.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
Try Eastport - a fishing village with a vibrant arts and food scene.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM

337 posts, read 429,987 times
On Wednesday from Portland stick to Rt. 1 and follow the coastline. In Owl's Head you'll find a place to visit called the Transportation Museum. Trains, planes and automobiles all running and working. After that, continue on Rt 1 toward Rockland, Rockport where you'll have a hard time not finding someplace to stop and eat, and finally Camden. Camden is the quintessential Maine village with a stunningly beautiful harbor full of a huge variety of boats. In Camden, see if you can get a room at the "Towne Motel" which is within walking distance of the harbor area and a ton of shops and outstanding food. We've stayed there a number of times.

Thursday grab breakfast in town and then continue up the road and drive to Belfast, Me. That town is really something. Do yourself a favor and do a Google Search on them. While you are looking for lunch/dinner, you can find Young's Lobster pound across the bay. They have thousands of Lobsters and assorted other seafood available for lunch/dinner there right on the bay.

Need a place to stay that night? A bit further up the road is a throwback to years past; a cottage setup called Colonial Gables right on Rt 1 and the ocean but the rates were excellent. You'll have a drive home on Friday to NY but you'll have seen a lot of the best that Maine can offer. Next trip go to Acadia and Bar Harbor and then further North to Lubec, Campobello Island, and Eastport as suggested. Have Fun!

Remember my mantra for Maine as you go: A Lobster A Day Cooked Any Way!

Rome (I'm from CT but I spend a ton of time up there and we're moving there soon)

Old 06-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Thank you two very much!

Old 06-05-2017, 03:10 PM

565 posts, read 935,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
On Wednesday from Portland stick to Rt. 1 and follow the coastline. In Owl's Head you'll find a place to visit called the Transportation Museum. Trains, planes and automobiles all running and working. After that, continue on Rt 1 toward Rockland, Rockport where you'll have a hard time not finding someplace to stop and eat, and finally Camden. Camden is the quintessential Maine village with a stunningly beautiful harbor full of a huge variety of boats. In Camden, see if you can get a room at the "Towne Motel" which is within walking distance of the harbor area and a ton of shops and outstanding food. We've stayed there a number of times.

Thursday grab breakfast in town and then continue up the road and drive to Belfast, Me. That town is really something. Do yourself a favor and do a Google Search on them. While you are looking for lunch/dinner, you can find Young's Lobster pound across the bay. They have thousands of Lobsters and assorted other seafood available for lunch/dinner there right on the bay.

Need a place to stay that night? A bit further up the road is a throwback to years past; a cottage setup called Colonial Gables right on Rt 1 and the ocean but the rates were excellent. You'll have a drive home on Friday to NY but you'll have seen a lot of the best that Maine can offer. Next trip go to Acadia and Bar Harbor and then further North to Lubec, Campobello Island, and Eastport as suggested. Have Fun!

Remember my mantra for Maine as you go: A Lobster A Day Cooked Any Way!

Rome (I'm from CT but I spend a ton of time up there and we're moving there soon)

This all sounds perfect, but if you make this trip, make sure to take a trip up Mt Battie with your car. You will drive thru the town of Camden already. The view up there is very similar to Acadia .

If in Camden for lunch, check out Scotts place in the Renys parking lot. Nothing fancy at all, but fresh and good quality food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: