Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:23 AM

43 posts, read 74,682 times

Advertisements

I'm close to buying a camp on a lake in Hancock County. Currently there is no well, but the owner has a rather elaborate -- sort of Rube Goldberg-ish -- system of filtering lake water installed. My preference is to drill a well and keep the lake system in as a backup. There are a couple of camps with wells around the lake, but it seems that most neighbors use lake water (it's a small lake with good water quality and maybe only a dozen or so camps).

Does anyone have opinions or experiences to share regarding well water vs. lake water? Any experiences with well drilling being unsuccessful or wells going dry? I'm new to the rural water experience, so I'm trying to figure out what to watch out for.

The lot is big enough to drill a well 100 feet from the septic, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPO1131959 View Post
I'm close to buying a camp on a lake in Hancock County. Currently there is no well, but the owner has a rather elaborate -- sort of Rube Goldberg-ish -- system of filtering lake water installed. My preference is to drill a well and keep the lake system in as a backup. There are a couple of camps with wells around the lake, but it seems that most neighbors use lake water (it's a small lake with good water quality and maybe only a dozen or so camps).

Does anyone have opinions or experiences to share regarding well water vs. lake water? Any experiences with well drilling being unsuccessful or wells going dry? I'm new to the rural water experience, so I'm trying to figure out what to watch out for.

The lot is big enough to drill a well 100 feet from the septic, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks
You won't go wrong with drilling a well. We have a camp on a lake down east, and we use the lake as our water source. Drinking water comes in bottles. We will have a drilled well some day, but for the time being, the lake is fine.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 AM

399 posts, read 854,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You won't go wrong with drilling a well. We have a camp on a lake down east, and we use the lake as our water source. Drinking water comes in bottles. We will have a drilled well some day, but for the time being, the lake is fine.

I think your current method is fine however if I were buying the camp I may make arrangements to drill a well prior to moving in. I don't think it is that expensive. Of course you will probably need a water softener and filter also but it's worth it. Sounds like the previous owner had it all put together somehow and it works but I would want it done the best way I could so there would be no failures. I would also have the water tested by an accredited lab just for peace of mind.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:41 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
We have used lake water at camp for washing and cooking for the last 8 years. We use spring water for cold drinks. Most towns have springs. You don't need to buy bottled water.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 PM

123 posts, read 297,105 times
where can you find springs water in Hancock county?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We have used lake water at camp for washing and cooking for the last 8 years. We use spring water for cold drinks. Most towns have springs. You don't need to buy bottled water.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:34 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
There is one right on Route 9 on the south side of the road. I never recorded the GPS coords and don't know what town it's in.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 PM

393 posts, read 981,677 times
Why not get the water analyzed by a lab that specializes in this sort of thing? That way if the quality is as good as the owner suggests, you have no worries and don't need to be in a rush to drill or dig a well, which can be quite pricey.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,493 times
I live near piper pond and have a dug well. Most places around here either do that or get water freom the pond/lake because the water here sometimes contains arsenic. So, if you spend $5000 drilling a well and have to add on several thousand more for a filter system....why bother. I get my drinking water from the spigot at the town office for free.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:26 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 824,055 times
Had a camp for 15 years and used lake water for shower and small things. Never used it for drinking,cooking or anything that could be ingested in any quantity. I now have my first ever well and am very pleased. Treated it shortly after house was completed, had it tested and it came back with excellent results. The cost to drill was about 4K if I remember right. They went down around 165' and told me it gives about 15gpm. I was told to treat every couple of years which is very easy to do and if want to be safe, have it tested every few years. I drink it and it is as good if not better than any municipal water I have been on. I would also consider what you will be using the camp for. If it is just summer use, it may be just as easy and cheaper to bring in water and use the lake for the shower, toilets etc. I assume there is some sort of pump set up to bring the water in from the lake and either way, well or pump, you would need a generator for any power outages (I think).

Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,493 times
One dis advantage of sucking water from a lake is it will wear out your pump faster because of the sand and grit. But replacing a pump every 4 or 5 years is way cheaper than a drilled well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: