Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM

48,196 posts, read 22,033,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
Elton. maybe the guy is an old Veteran and is suffering form some kind of cognitive disorder? Not trying to make excuses, but trying to make sense of nonsense. I agree with the others, stay away, make others aware of this guy. I for one would not go there if I lived in the area and knew who it was.
You could be right and there could be mental health issues involved....he is so gruff and rude to everyone......and it is reported this is not the first such event....of racial slurs and just awful allegations......like calling a heavy lady a "hippo" when she asked for a price check....or overcharging credit cards.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:46 PM

570 posts, read 1,341,937 times
It does sound like someone has gone off the deep end. Certainly a good person/business persons knows this is not the way to treat neighbors and customers. If he's behaved this way all along, it would probably have already been common knowledge in town to avoid him and his store. Hopefully he has family that can step in and try to take a look at what might be happening with him. And if he is just an *** then hopefully all the negative publicity - and loss of business - will show him the error of his ways.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:00 PM

30,317 posts, read 23,796,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
No, it is not illegal... Hitler hate Jews and was not illegal but it was too late for millions...
When you invoke Godwin's law, you automatically lose the debate.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,270,684 times
If this is true, the store wont be open long, he made his own ignorant bed-

the guy is an idiot, anyone one who owns a business, and displays this crap,,,,will be gone soon, if it's on the news,,,he's a short-timer and rightfully so

Old 12-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Default stick a fork in him

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
If this is true, the store wont be open long, he made his own ignorant bed-

the guy is an idiot, anyone one who owns a business, and displays this crap,,,,will be gone soon, if it's on the news,,,he's a short-timer and rightfully so
I think you're right.....I drove by the store around 3:30 (its on 114 and there is a lot of commuter traffic.....The store has hundreds of xmas trees and kissing balls and holly and garlands etc. There were only a few cars in the parking lot and this is the height of the holiday season.

Gorham is a really decent community and displays decent values.....I think he will be toast.

I dont celebrate that......I really feel badly that no one was able to step in and put a stop to his ignorance. His wife is on the premises....but he is very disrespectful to her.....and his son is around there too......and discribed his dad as not having a good "filter". Someone should have saved him and the family business from this embarressment....and saved the community from having his version of hate inflicted on them.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,356,557 times
Does the guy have any family there? Like in the store with him? If so, he could easily ruin the business for all of them.

Unfortunately, it is not realistic to think you can shield children from this horrible part of our society.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Does the guy have any family there? Like in the store with him? If so, he could easily ruin the business for all of them.

Unfortunately, it is not realistic to think you can shield children from this horrible part of our society.
Yes his wife in on the premises.....but he is disrespectful to her.....I think the son is also around and he will be the loser......it is a family business and has been there on a busy intersection on a major commuter route for a long time.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:32 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,413,484 times
Yeah, it's pretty sad that some whites still act like it's the 1950s. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying only whites are racist or anything. I'm just talking specifically about whites who are at least openly racist against others.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:24 PM

3,902 posts, read 4,555,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
When you invoke Godwin's law, you automatically lose the debate.
Ya know, you learn something new every day!

Godwin has argued that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact.

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back to topic, I guess he has the right to be an a**, but folks have the right to stand in front of his store with pickets signs too. Or at least tell him off or whatever.

A little story...
I work in a restaurant where we have a lot of older regulars.
One in particular was impatient and demanding, and only wanted me or another waitress to serve him. (the others were intimidated by him anyway).
Despite him being difficult, he had a sense of humor and his wife who had memory issues was really sweet. One day he surprised his other fave waitress and I by saying something racist and hurtful about our assistant manager who was African American (and also a personal friend of mine and hubby's). Next time he came in, I refused to serve him (giving a heads up to the general manager) The other waitress agreed not to wait on him either, so he got mad and left.
We didn't see him for at least 6 months, then one day he came in with his tail between his legs and his whole demeaner changed. He said he missed us.
He was really nice and respectful to the manager and wasn't pushy or demanding, so we gave him another chance. He even seemed happier and told me he was going to his church more. My manager friend was fine with it, and even started engaging in conversation with him! I was shocked!!
That old dog actually learned a new trick! It was kinda cool!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,395,502 times
Maybe it's time Barry takes his "unfiltered" mouth and retire. I can't imagine how his presence can be helpful any longer. I think his son and wife could probably handle things just fine. Maybe this will be the excuse they've been looking for.

In Dover, we have Foxcroft Academy which recently built a new dormitory to combat sagging enrollment. These dorms filled with international and mostly asian students. I can't imagine a service person in any store here to say such a thing without getting the whole town in a conniption fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine