Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 08:54 AM

12 posts, read 31,152 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So after some real careful consideration we decided that we will be moving to southern Maine this summer. Jobs are not a major concern for us as I am self employed and my wife would eventually find a teaching position somewhere. We have a 5 yr old who will begin kindergarten next year and is amped to move from the rural upstate NY to where there are more kids to play with, closer ammenities and ocean. We are probably going to be looking for a place with a few acres as we are all about organic gardening, a couple of chickens and come with a greenhouse. Our budget for a home is under $350g's. Any suggestions as to what would be the best fit for us?

The other question is that of buy or build. Ideally our next home should be passive solar/green and half the size of what we have seen on the market (16-1800sqft). Not even sure where to begin on figuring out the cost of what would be "ideal". Again any suggestion or thoughts are appreciated.

That is where we are at so if you can shed any light i'd be very appreciative. Thank you and happy New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 9,482 times
this should help you some.....just fill in the area(s) you want to move to, price range your looking at, and any other stuff like lot size and it will give you a good ideal of what housing is available in that area
Maine Real Estate - The Official MLS Listing Search on MaineListings.com

Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,226,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvoceanlife View Post
Hello,

So after some real careful consideration we decided that we will be moving to southern Maine this summer. Jobs are not a major concern for us as I am self employed and my wife would eventually find a teaching position somewhere. We have a 5 yr old who will begin kindergarten next year and is amped to move from the rural upstate NY to where there are more kids to play with, closer ammenities and ocean. We are probably going to be looking for a place with a few acres as we are all about organic gardening, a couple of chickens and come with a greenhouse. Our budget for a home is under $350g's. Any suggestions as to what would be the best fit for us?

The other question is that of buy or build. Ideally our next home should be passive solar/green and half the size of what we have seen on the market (16-1800sqft). Not even sure where to begin on figuring out the cost of what would be "ideal". Again any suggestion or thoughts are appreciated.

That is where we are at so if you can shed any light i'd be very appreciative. Thank you and happy New Year!
Some of those towns will have homes that fit, although you might need to add your own greenhouse. You might be better off in the Western areas of Falmouth and Cumberland as well as North Yarmouth. Prices are higher in Maine than upstate New York, but I'm sure you've already discovered that.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:42 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
Between Rt 88 and the ocean you won't find much for under a $million. In North Yarmouth or North Cumberland there are still farms. Cape Elizabeth allows chickens and goats, but the goats tend to have rhinestone collars.

I'm just sayin'.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:03 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,226,483 times
I think NMLM has his tongue in his cheek a bit. To clarify, North Yarmouth is a separate town from Yarmouth in which the students attend MSAD 51, along with Cumberland, they do not attend the Yarmouth schools. There is no such town as North Cumberland, the rural area of Cumberland is known as West Cumberland, but it is contained within the town of Cumberland.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:17 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Between Rt 88 and the ocean you won't find much for under a $million. In North Yarmouth or North Cumberland there are still farms. Cape Elizabeth allows chickens and goats, but the goats tend to have rhinestone collars.

I'm just sayin'.
Rhinestone collars. Love it. Tried to rep, but, alas, not gonna happen.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:51 AM

12 posts, read 31,152 times
Thank you for the feedback. Good to know about Cape Elizabeth. One this that I realized over the past few years is that a good garden have a good manure source and that some kind of livestock is important. Thanks for the heads up on the N Yarmouth school district being different than Yarmouth. didn't realize that. We are really looking at building a passive solar/green home. Any suggestions on builders in the area that have good reputations? Also any info on custom goal jewelry apparel vendors? Don't want to encourage any anarchy. Well perhaps just a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: