Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 01:47 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Yeah and I have my app in and have heard nothing.

well I'm comin' anyway... soon...
Bonnie says that the 'acting' store manager is on vacation. They expect the new real 'store manager' to arrive with the new year, then with him and this guy together hopefully they should be able to get caught up on the paper work.

The last 'store manager' they had transferred up here, arrived, toured the store and resigned.

So this 'acting' store manager has been trying to fill the shoes of his pay-grade [which he has difficulty doing], plus the added responsibility of doing his supervisor's job.

If you hear nothing by mid-January, Bonnie would like your real-world name and info, and she will pester them about you.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:03 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I just checked the openings for Federal jobs in Maine.

67 posted positions some with as many as eight openings.

AHHH…good government work. A love/hate relationship I have for federal employment.

I'd rather have root canal then have to fill out another federal application packet Whole thing seems suspicious to me. I have filled out several.....for positions that I have had ample experience in and have heard nothing. And though I understand they have to have a system like this because of the amount of applicants it seems to me to be a little ineffective.

Case In Point: When the FEDS started the TSA and was taking over the security at the airports there was opportunities to be hired as a supervisor. Me and a friend that both had previous LE experience along with education and thought we'd be a shoe in. I thought it would be a great way to get into the feds and then maybe transfer from there. And the supervisor positions also paid well and I figured getting in the ground floor of a new agency wouldn't be so bad. Anyways the application asked if you had any experience with magnetic Such and such...(basically experience with those magnetic wands they use and also the x-ray machines)...well I said No...I had not had any experience with stuff like that in law enforcement. Well turns out that was an automatic disqualifier and my app was rejected. my buddy.....who said he just answered yes to everything because he figured.....who cares.....got hired. I had to wait one year before re-applying and by then they were only hiring for entry level.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
A while ago, the Adminstrator made it pretty clear that he/she strongly preferred only one sticky thread per forum because any more than one knocks new posts off the bottom of the computer screen when the index page is opened.

A few forums have found it necessary to add a second sticky thread for administrative purposes, but those additional stickies are supposed to be temporary in duration.

I see flycessna has started a Maine Employment thread, which hopefully will see plenty of use and stay near the top of the stack through its own merits.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:44 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,752,372 times
Default Winnah! Winnah! Lobstah Dinnah!

Congratulations to the Maine forum's own forestbeekeeper for being selected as a valued poster by the Administration team.

Forest received a $50 Overstock.com gift certificate as a token of appreciation.

The gift certificates were given to semi-randomly selected members in celebration of City Data's second anniversary.

The whole story is available through the link at the top of the forum index page.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:05 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Bonnie says that the 'acting' store manager is on vacation. They expect the new real 'store manager' to arrive with the new year, then with him and this guy together hopefully they should be able to get caught up on the paper work.

The last 'store manager' they had transferred up here, arrived, toured the store and resigned.

So this 'acting' store manager has been trying to fill the shoes of his pay-grade [which he has difficulty doing], plus the added responsibility of doing his supervisor's job.

If you hear nothing by mid-January, Bonnie would like your real-world name and info, and she will pester them about you.

Cool, tell Bonnie thanks! I won't forget... I am a damn good worker, no matter what job you plunk me in. And I have done a lot of different things to make my living over the years

Old 12-29-2007, 09:13 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,427,137 times
Has anyone tried the Portland Streets live video that Gen posted last week? I've tried it for 3 days now and it's not working for me. Am I the only one?

http://streetsofportland.com/monumentsquarecam/monumentsquarecam.html (broken link)

Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 AM

454 posts, read 886,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Has anyone tried the Portland Streets live video that Gen posted last week? I've tried it for 3 days now and it's not working for me. Am I the only one?

http://streetsofportland.com/monumentsquarecam/monumentsquarecam.html (broken link)
Nope, you're not the only one...I can't get it to work either

Old 12-29-2007, 09:31 AM

The Milo cam seems to be off-line as well. The others are showing a foggy, gray atmosphere today. I love that look! Looks like real winter.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 AM

874 posts, read 1,856,244 times
Maybe whoever fixes it when it goes down is on vacation. I hope it works again soon.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:11 AM

I'm DYING to make a trip up during spring break again this year. DH says we can't do it. Have to save for the real move up, when we won't have to come back to Texas. I know he's right, but my heart is longing.......I neeeeeeed to be there. I want to see you guys and give you big hugs. I want to spend some time sitting at the top of the cliffs in Acadia looking over the beach and rocks below and just breathe.

He says it's pointless to spend the money it will take when we can have that much extra cushion in the bank after the house sells. Yes, I know he's right - much wisdom there. He keeps telling me it will be soon, but SOON doesn't seem to be coming fast enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine