Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:12 AM

378 posts, read 1,031,949 times

Advertisements

Helloooo in there all my wonderful Maine friends. When I'm not around I'm busy poking through endless piles of photos, sites, info ... when I think I've gotten somewhere, I come back here to get the real scoop.

I have an offer accepted on a house. If all goes well we will be there by OH MY GOD the END of September, beginning of October. I'm so excited. Tell me everything bad and good that you know about Harrington Maine.

I can change my mind ... LOL.

In fact, I have a great plan B and an okay Plan C. But, if Plan A worked out ---- that would be cool.
I talked to a lady who said they had the basics but nothing more. Walmart closest place to shop ... no high speed ... you see where I'm going?
Talk to me about the real live dirt and the awesome everything else. Please.

Please??

I know you know how much work it has been to narrow down EVERYTHING in Maine to one small section on the coast. It's close to a college, it has a grocery --- the house has been loved, the property is not the best but it's enough for me ...
Anyway --- please tell me everything you've ever heard about Harrington so I can move on to Plan B or C or D or E or F. I'd be so excited to come NOW because it's not dead winter (or IS IT??) and we could stop at places along the way with nice weather at our backs.
But, it's not all about ME.
Will the people in Harrington like us??
We're modern but very good-hearted people who just want so far out of the rat-race you have to hop in a car to buy cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:19 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,439,420 times
Are we excited or what?!!! I know NOTHING about the town, but can say CONGRATS!!!!!! I know exactly how excited you are - I can feel it in your post. That was cute. And I'm JEALOUSJEALOUSJEALOUS........

We'll see you there soon.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:32 AM

378 posts, read 1,031,949 times
Default Lol!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Are we excited or what?!!! I know NOTHING about the town, but can say CONGRATS!!!!!! I know exactly how excited you are - I can feel it in your post. That was cute. And I'm JEALOUSJEALOUSJEALOUS........

We'll see you there soon.
Well, don't be jealousjealousjealous because I'm ripping my hair out. LOL !!!!!

It took me a long time to access your pic on that naughty old off-topic thread (MOLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYY!!! LOL!!) but wow, you're a pretty girl. This computer is so darn slow I had to give up on page four of the thread.
sigh.

The lady on the phone had a very strong maine accent. I loved it. I saw right away how I will never be able to talk because .... well, they'll know immediately. eh?
LOL!!
And, the people from Florida have a bad reputation. Well, they probably EARNED it .. but I'm not FROM here -- so THERE. I guess they'll see which way we drive in, though. Maybe I'll go up top the state and come in from another direction and claim we're from Michigan or some such so they won't be expecting complete idiots ..... (weather wise) I really AM from Michigan so ... it wouldn't be ALL lies. LOL !!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:09 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,118,365 times
Default I wish I could tell you more.....

most of the stuff I can tell you about Harrington you could find out from the internet . I have friends who grew up there, but as the years have gone by I've lost touch with them! Let's see....

most of the people there are hard-working individuals who make their living off the water or the land---water is lobstering and scalloping primarily, the land would be forestry or blueberries. I do know that because it's Washington County the average income is going to be low compared to the rest of the state. There is a high school, elem school, head start/preschool program. I'm pretty sure--no, there IS a health center there. You will be about 20 miles from Machias--University, hospital, grocery store, Sears catalog store---no department stores VERY nice small town ! You will be about 45 miles (? I'm SO guessing here!) from Ellsworth---larger town with Wal-Mart, LL Bean outlet, Reny's (my own personal favorite!), and a very nice downtown area, and another hospital. I don't think the town has it's own police, it uses the Sheriff's dept., and the fire dept is volunteer.

One thing you will encounter is that many of the people in the small towns of the area is that people know each other pretty well, and you will find large families that have married into other large families, and gives the impression that everyone is related to everyone---none of that going on in real life though! You will hear the question "why did you move here?" a lot! People are curious as to how you found their town and why you chose it. One important thing though, IF some people don't seem very open and friendly it's not you! One of the reasons that so many celebrities own property here is because people leave them alone and don't make a big deal over them. Mainers tend to take the cue from you as to what you'd like....whether you want to be left to yourselves or be at every baked bean supper this fall! This may happen to you...the more you're out and about, and the more people you get to know, the idea of what you're looking for in a community will get around, and people will know whether to call you or stop by or just leave you alone!

The area is beautiful, and has a lot of older homes. The school dept has been looking at some changes, but now all the schools in Maine are (most of us hope that won't remain the case, but the law requires the footwork to be done--re-elections aren't happening fast enough!)

Hope that helps---have to pick-up the youngest from school!! If I think of anything else I'll add it in!! Good luck!!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:10 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times
hurry hurry hurry!! Just kidding but I think you'll be happy once you get here and get all the happy crap (utilities and such) done.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:21 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,096,966 times
We're modern but very good-hearted people who just want so far out of the rat-race you have to hop in a car to buy cheese.

Harrington sounds about that- you'll be about mid way between Machias and Ellsworth. Bangor is a little further away, but not outrageously so. You wouldn't want to go there just for a package of cheese but a week-end trip to the mall wouldn't be out of the question.

I looked at houses in Columbia Falls and Addison, which are only a little piece down the road from Harrington. I was told they had cable internet, so you may want to see who (Time Warner?) does the cable, if it is available, and call and ask.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 PM

Here's the phone numer for the Portland Office:

[SIZE=1]Time Warner Cable New England | 118 Johnson Road | Portland, Maine 04102 | 207-253-2222 | 1-800-833-2253

[/SIZE]

Old 09-04-2007, 12:59 PM

102 posts, read 555,645 times
Harrington is a very small town, they have an Irving store but no grocery stores, youd need to go to nearby columbia for that

Old 09-04-2007, 01:01 PM

Here's something for Time Warner that's a little closer:

Time Warner Cable

44 Perry Rd
Bangor ME 04401
phone: 207 942-3287
fax: 207 942-9239
Dan Comeau
Account Executive

Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,439,420 times
Awww, you're too sweet! Please won't you be my neighbor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine