Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:37 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Tennessee has this same law about everybody must have a ID.

FARMINGTON, Maine — A 65-year-old woman who went into a supermarket to buy wine was turned away because she did not have an identification card with her to prove her age.

"I'll be bringing my driver's license with me from now on," said Barbara Skapa.

Skapa said she normally carries her driver's license. But with her leg in a cast, Skapa was being driven by a friend when she went into the Hannaford Bros. market last week to buy several items, including some bottles of wine.

The cashier told her it was policy to check for identification, said Skapa, who believes "no one would mistake me for 30 or even 40." Skapa asked if her friend could buy the wine for her, but that was disallowed too because it is considered "third-party" purchasing. Skapa asked to see the manager.

FOXNews.com - Maine Supermarket Refuses to Sell Wine to Woman, 65, Without ID - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
I do not recall ever showing an ID card while buying alcohol in Maine.

I work part-time as a relief bartender [volunteer and just when the regular bartenders need time off], and we only ask for ID if someone looks young.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:14 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,365,235 times
I worked at a small store here in town and was told that we could card anyone even if they looked 90 yrs old. I never did card anyone that old though.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:18 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
can you even imagine! lol...sometimes the common sense just goes out the window....lol

thanks John!

Last edited by mollysmiles; 09-06-2007 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: to thank John!

Old 09-06-2007, 04:48 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,403 times
As a former puncher of buttons for a large corporation, I can tell you some of the cash registers will beep/stop adding when an alcohol purchase comes through. The cashier is supposed to enter a birthdate into the register and then every thing moves along just fine. (This also happens for cigarettes at some stores, too..). Most cashiers learn pretty quickly (or are even told) that they can just enter any date that will work, never actually asking the customer for any ID at all. I could see, though, a newer clerk not doing that, but instead actually asking for the ID that he/she is supposed to.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
the flipside to this idiocy,,is many stores, get caught selling alcohol to minors,,and the alcohol comission will tell them, one more time and you lose your beer/wine or hard liquor license,

and how many of us can remember in high school,,,,a favorite store that would sell to minors,, or better yet,,have a friend that was a cashier there,,,,and was the most popular senior in school??

Old 09-06-2007, 05:37 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,226,483 times
At Portland Sea Dog baseball games (and probably Portland Pirate hockey games) you cannot purchase beer or wine without an ID, no matter how old you look. It's just one of those things we Mainers shrug at, one of those quirky little things about Maine.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,921,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
At Portland Sea Dog baseball games (and probably Portland Pirate hockey games) you cannot purchase beer or wine without an ID, no matter how old you look. It's just one of those things we Mainers shrug at, one of those quirky little things about Maine.
It's like that at sports events in Boston as well, and I think it's true in many sporting venues. I'm pretty sure that in that case it's about the volume of sales. With all those people lined up at the window it's just more simple, and keeps everything moving more quickly, to card everyone than to get into judgment calls.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:44 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,823 times
It's not just "quirky" Maine. It happens at sports venues, suppermarkets and convenience stores in New York state also. (A similar incident was written about on the NY board not that long ago.) It's the corporate way of applying a universal rule, but that which takes away all personal judgement and discretion from employees. It's just silly.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:41 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy-NJ-NY-ME? View Post
It's not just "quirky" Maine. It happens at sports venues, suppermarkets and convenience stores in New York state also. (A similar incident was written about on the NY board not that long ago.) It's the corporate way of applying a universal rule, but that which takes away all personal judgement and discretion from employees. It's just silly.
Happened to me, in a drugstore, buying tobacco. I'm not that young and my hair and beard are showing grey. I had walked to the store and didn't have ID with me, foolish clerk insisted I had to have it. I was a bit of a jerk about it, I wasn't about to walk back home to get my wallet and then go back. I put the money on the counter and snatched up the can of tobacco. I said "There's the money, so I'm not stealing anything, ring it in or not, whatever you want, but I'm leaving with this, you can do what you like." I haven't gone back to that store.

In another store (gas + convenience), the clerk asked for ID and I handed over my license. The clerk looked at it then scanned the data from the strip on the back. This made me very unhappy- all kinds of data is being misused in many ways these days. I conveyed my displeasure to the manager and told him that he just cost himself a lot of business- between my wife and I, we usually have 4-6 vehicles on the road and we tend to use a LOT of gas, as well as making convenience purchases when fueling.

Maybe I'm strange, but this kind of nonsense drives me crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine