Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,192 times

Advertisements

Maine as all states and municipalities are seeing the effect of tax cuts on the national level. Trickle down economics isn't working exactly as described. The beauty of Maine as here in Upper Michigan is the potential for self sufficiency. The tough part is coming up with cash to pay taxes for "savings" tied up in property. Though frustrated with the squeeze ....I am still for a local community that includes reasonably compensated public employees providing basic services.

Last edited by wordsmith680; 03-16-2012 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: forgot to put the 'tax' in....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
There will soon be another side to this story, and not just in Maine.

Lots of municipalities are effectively insolvent. In fact, many whole states are. I doubt if Maine is one of them at this time, but its day is coming. You can't get blood from a turnip. By that I mean, when the taxation exceeds the capability of the residents to pay, the party's over. They either vote with their feet (move away), or become delinquent in their taxes and lose the property. When this happens often enough, the town has to re-examine its spending policies.

To most jurisdictions, a "cut" in spending means that the proposed rise in spending doesn't rise as much as they'd like. REAL cuts are apparently not allowed. This type of mindset has to change. But it won't change unless it is forced to (that's coming, also). And when this happens -- and we are very close to it in a lot of places -- you will see municipal and state bankruptcies like never before. There will be cuts in everything, in a mad dash to save something, to live another day.

I believe that a poor understanding of this self-correction mechanism is behind all the hue and cry over education spending, reckless new projects, entitlements, bargaining rights of public emplyees, and everything else you read in the news. When cities and states begin to default on bonds and on pensions to public employees, then the man in the street will suddenly understand.

So don't worry about tax rates. We will all see them crash, within our lifetimes.
Brand new multimillion dollar libraries and schools are the killer for retirees. We don't see why schools need to be "state of the art" buildlngs when kids can't even seem to score on their h.s. exit exams. We don't need new libraries, we need new MATERIALS and COMPUTERS. What teens do you see hanging out in local libraries when they have the Internet and their own school libraries plus the good old existing town library??? It is RETIREE homeowners who are going to foot the bill for these foolish projects. I want a town that pledges to leave things just as they are. If out of towners want more amenities, let them pay for it with their voluntary contributions. Bah humbug.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Brand new multimillion dollar libraries and schools are the killer for retirees. We don't see why schools need to be "state of the art" buildlngs when kids can't even seem to score on their h.s. exit exams. We don't need new libraries, we need new MATERIALS and COMPUTERS. What teens do you see hanging out in local libraries when they have the Internet and their own school libraries plus the good old existing town library??? It is RETIREE homeowners who are going to foot the bill for these foolish projects. I want a town that pledges to leave things just as they are. If out of towners want more amenities, let them pay for it with their voluntary contributions. Bah humbug.
One thing we noticed with our children was how textbooks have became obsolete. Everything is done on-line now, which should be cheaper. But the national average is still climbing. Currently at $9666 per student [K-12].

Old libraries are good. Old schools are just fine.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 AM

399 posts, read 854,887 times
It used to be that families moving into a community demanded more services thereby increasing the infrastructure and taxes. Now there are so many retirees and people ready to retire that we want cuts to lessen our tax burden. These projects that cities and towns initiate never seem to come in under budget that's for sure. I have grandchildren in the 4-5 year old category. I have heard that their generation is even larger than the baby boomer generation which will eventually mean more services and more money spent therby increasing taxes. I'm hoping that in the interim our generation can live without feeling that increase because in retirement it is unsustainable for many.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Ours haven't gone up in several years but that could change. It depends on how much money the city council and school board wants to spend. The council has "never" as far as I can remember, ever said "no" to the school budget.
No one ever challenges the school budgets around here, either, except for a few lone elderly farmers who have their say and are ignored. No one even examines the line items. The principal, teachers, parents all get up at town hall and make their case. I'm becoming a proponent of home schooling. It would be cheaper to teach kids in small groups in peoples homes. I bet they'd learn a lot more a lot faster with very little burden on the taxpayer, except for the cost of occasional evaluations.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:02 PM

399 posts, read 854,887 times
Quote:
No one ever challenges the school budgets around here, either, except for a few lone elderly farmers who have their say and are ignored. No one even examines the line items. The principal, teachers, parents all get up at town hall and make their case. I'm becoming a proponent of home schooling. It would be cheaper to teach kids in small groups in peoples homes. I bet they'd learn a lot more a lot faster with very little burden on the taxpayer, except for the cost of occasional evaluations.
Something to be said for the old one room schoolhouse. I was reading a town report from 1895 where they said they had to use the rod a little more often that year! At least 50% of the town budget goes directly to the school system. Having no kids in school anymore I don't want to pay it although I know it is necessary. It would seem to me that in light of today's economy that adjustments could be made to lessen the burden. The taxpayer needs relief and especially ones in retirement. If a town does give a retired person any relief it is not enough to buy dinner these days.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:35 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,864 times
Quote:
Please go online and read more about "dame schools." One explanation has children being educated in the home of a teacher; another explains them as daycare overseen by illiterate women. Maybe hiring teachers to teach small groups of students in a teacher's home would work out in some places. Having parents home school their own children may be difficult if they already have full-time jobs. I've known a few families who home schooled their own children having them ready for college at age 16. We need to review the history of education and public education in our country which can easily be found via google. How many parents can afford to individually bear the financial cost for the education of their children? How many families are willing or able to have one parent as breadwinner and the other as teacher? Regardless of how it is accomplished, our country benefits from literate citizens and literacy is essential to individual freedom. If you remember, slaves were not allowed to learn to read and write.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
Something to be said for the old one room schoolhouse. I was reading a town report from 1895 where they said they had to use the rod a little more often that year! At least 50% of the town budget goes directly to the school system. Having no kids in school anymore I don't want to pay it although I know it is necessary. It would seem to me that in light of today's economy that adjustments could be made to lessen the burden. The taxpayer needs relief and especially ones in retirement. If a town does give a retired person any relief it is not enough to buy dinner these days.
67% of my town's budget goes to schools, and a high percentage of dropouts and others who cannot pass MCAS tests.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Please go online and read more about "dame schools." One explanation has children being educated in the home of a teacher; another explains them as daycare overseen by illiterate women. Maybe hiring teachers to teach small groups of students in a teacher's home would work out in some places. Having parents home school their own children may be difficult if they already have full-time jobs. I've known a few families who home schooled their own children having them ready for college at age 16. We need to review the history of education and public education in our country which can easily be found via google. How many parents can afford to individually bear the financial cost for the education of their children? How many families are willing or able to have one parent as breadwinner and the other as teacher? Regardless of how it is accomplished, our country benefits from literate citizens and literacy is essential to individual freedom. If you remember, slaves were not allowed to learn to read and write.
I teach a writing workshop to homeschool parents and kids, and these kids (ages 9-11) blow my mind with their genius and intelligence. They are not "in class" all day, either. They are taking trips to historic places and museums and have banded together for group support and activities. These are the smartest and most well-behaved kids I've ever known. In a two-hour session, not one needs to be reprimanded for anything. These kids, who started reading when public preschool kids are playing with blocks, are now writing books for kids younger than them!

The public school teachers waste a huge portion of classroom time disciplining kids and going over and over basic material, and still the kids can't score high on the state required exams. Teacher burnout abounds. I've been in these classrooms, at times horrified at what goes on. It's pathetic. I wish I had home-schooled my kids. BTW, both the moms and dads in my group work--they have adjusted their work life around the home school lifestyle.

They are a big part of the solution, not the problem. And they are taking their schooling out of the mismanaged public domain and not burdening the taxpayer with ever increasing school taxes. 67% of my town's budget goes to the schools alone, disgraceful.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:46 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Does maine have any legislation that keeps caps on the % rise in property taxes year to year?

Are your taxes jumping up in big increments one year to the next? Is this a problem in the state?
Yes my taxes have gone up in big increments. Further, school consolidation didn't do a single thing but RAISE them even more.

I fully expect to be paying a per bag fee to haul off my trash soon. I have a real problem with that. I pay through the nose to live on the postage stamp I own. At the very least, I want the trash hauled off.

Also, we have enough illegal dumping going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: