Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:13 PM

11 posts, read 10,260 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice Beekeeper. I meant to say: dry out my property which was saturated through some freak rainfall event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Hardpan is commonly called 'ledge' in Maine.

When water gets down to ledge it is not going any further down. So I think that pond maintenance is easier then it would be in other locales.

An issue I see is that to approach soggy ground, it is usually very soft, mushy. No heavy equipment can safely go there, except in winter.

My land was clear cut, before I bought it. Since the soil was soft the harvesting equipment knocked down many trees to form a pad to drive on. This pressed those trees down into the muck, and supported the heavy equipment. But it also left me now with a lot of buried trees. Any time I dig, I stand a good chance of hitting a 18" diameter tree trunk. A few times I have tried digging them up, but they are commonly over 40 foot long and still have their stump and many limbs attached [all underground]

You may be able to work out a path where you could dig a shallow trench to divert surface run-off, to keep it moving along and off your property. As compared to backing up and spreading out so much.

Beavers are handled by asking around and finding a local trapper. They can be trapped in Nov-Dec. Otherwise beaver are best left untouched.

Another idea, is to look for willow or poplar trees. Cut up as many branches as you can and stick them in the wet soil. They will root and you may be able to dry-out the soil some.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 PM

468 posts, read 758,367 times
This is an excellent thread with lots of knowledgeable folks.

Thanks all! I've learned a lot myself, and I wasn't even the OP

Old 04-13-2012, 03:59 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
"run-off" is the concern when developing land/or changing any type of water flow- usually the run-off concern is how it damages, any buildings, or improvements (roads) to a neighbors property- it looks like you have a farm-cash crop nearby, if you are clear of that, you should be ok

id never repeat the words "divert water flow" or "created wetlands" in public

looks like a decent parcel- a good escape

Old 04-13-2012, 05:32 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Hardpan is commonly called 'ledge' in Maine.
Now I've lived in Maine my whole life and never heard ledge referred to as hardpan. Bedrock yes, hardpan, no...Ledge in Aroostook county pretty much allows water to drain because the sedimentary rock that is referred to as ledge has pretty much been stood into a vertical position by Mother Nature over the course of time. Quite a bit of geologic activity up this way in the past. Not only is ledge pretty much standing vertical to how the sediment was deposiited that formed it, the seams pretty much run North/South. You won't find it running East/West to any extent at all.

Typically what causes swamps up this way is a clay based soil just like in the description below. It will be a whitish color and impervious to water. Just saying..

Hardpan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-13-2012, 02:35 PM

11 posts, read 10,260 times
Thank you everybody for the great information. I'm looking forward to getting out there and implementing some of these ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine