Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 AM

69 posts, read 359,461 times

Advertisements

I saw this on the PA forum and thought I'd modify it for Maine.

For those who moved To Maine:

1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Maine?

2. What was the most important reason why you moved to Maine?

3. What made you pick the particular town in Maine that you moved to?

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move?

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move to Maine? If no, would you have chosen a different town in Maine, moved to someplace other than Maine or returned to the place you left?

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Maine than where you moved from?

7. Do you have friends of relatives in other states that tried to either directly persuade you not to move to Maine or showed their displeasure/disapproval/incredulity/disgust/non-enthusiasm in more subtle ways? Why, do you know?

8. Do you think the town where you live now in Maine will eventually turn into the place you left? If so, how long will it take?

9. Since you got here, what has surprised you most either about Maine or your town in Maine? (good or bad)

10. Would you recommend others move to Maine?

11: What haven't you done yet since moving to Maine that you would like to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:06 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,426,048 times
What a nice idea for a thread! I hope we get lots of answers....

Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 AM

175 posts, read 420,434 times
I think this is a great idea. Will give us Soon to be Mainers somewhat of an idea. Very good post....... I can't wait to see the responses....

Old 11-29-2007, 11:21 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,830,618 times
THIS IS A GREAT IDEA! It gives us newbies a fair chance to voice our opinion w/out being considered a troll or negative!
1. Moved here from Va. Beach, but lived in several other states/arrived 6/05
2. Job offer w/BIW
3. When we arrived housing market was very tight, not much on the market in an affordable price range w/in short distance to DH's work in Brunswick. He commuted 45 mins. one way in VA. Beach and didn't want to do that any more. Our current house was the only one we could afford that we liked.
4. Ex-military family used to moving so settling in wasn't an issue.
5. This is a tough question for us as we are still debating whether to leave the state. Hind sight being 20/20, I would have to say NO, we would not move here again. The town/city isn't the reason why though and I would not return to Va. Beach as housing is way too expensive there.
6. Another tough ? Financially speaking it is worse, Stress level in terms of traffic and crime is better, schools are worse, overall when weighing everything I would have to say worse.
7. All of our family is in FL or AL and while they did not actively try to persuade us not to, we got the impression none of them wanted us to move here simply because of the distance away from them.
8. The city we live in will never be a VA. Beach. There isn't enough space in the city for that kind of development or the economic/population growth to warrant it.
9. GOOD-The lack of crime, even petty theft /BAD-The cost of living. We did research before we got here so we knew taxes were higher, but until you are here paying that oil payment, electric bill, water, etc. on top of the state income tax rate and the cost of health care(DH has a decent plan at work but it still cost us a fortune and we are healthy) you just have no idea
10. I would never suggest to anyone they shouldn't move to a place because it isn't a "fit" for me. I think forums like this on are an excellent source of info and wish I had discovered it before moving here. I do think that the "negative" comments people get slammed for should be included though and not frowned upon because people are here for information and they WANT to know the good as well as the bad. That is part of the planning process.
11. Skiing- we keep saying we are going to go, but haven't yet.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:07 PM

37,471 posts, read 61,423,512 times

We came from 'away', been living here since 2005

The price of bare land and low taxes.

I do not understand the question.

When we made the decision to move to Maine, we were comfortable with that decision.

When we physically moved, we were comfortable in the process.

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move to Maine?

I would come here again.

I would never wish to return.

Better.

7. Do you have friends of relatives in other states that tried to either directly persuade you not to move to Maine or showed their displeasure /disapproval /incredulity /disgust /non-enthusiasm in more subtle ways? Why, do you know?

No. We can't think of any.

This is such a better place than where we were before, and a far better 'fit' very well suited to us.

8. Do you think the town where you live now in Maine will eventually turn into the place you left?

No.

9. Since you got here, what has surprised you most either about Maine or your town in Maine? (good or bad)

The lack of agricultural mindset.

Yes.

Visit Naples again, maybe Paris again. We had an opportunity to go to Germany for a week last year for free, but we were very busy.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Ok, let me preface my response before I actually get to them. Some of them will surprise the regular posters to the Maine forum. Don't take my answers as pertaining to anybody else who may read them, your experiences will be your own. Some of my answers today are 180 degrees different than if I had answered them many years ago. That comes from getting married, having kids, career changes, and everything else.

While I answer these, you have to take into consideration that this State is quite large, and diverse in it's different areas. The South is vastly different than the far North or Northeast portion of the state and no matter what you are looking for you should find someplace that "fits" fairly well.

For those who moved To Maine:

Came from western Michigan June 27th 1987. Left the State between 2004 and 2006.

Change. Pure and simple. I was early 20's and working for a company that I knew there was no upward movement. (Small electrical contracting business with 2 other employees.)

Don't laugh, this is true. location and name. I moved originally to Caribou, had a job before I even packed a bag. The closeness to the North Maine Woods appealed to me immensely.

About 3.5 seconds. Very comfortable fit right away.

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move to Maine? If no, would you have chosen a different town in Maine, moved to someplace other than Maine or returned to the place you left?

NO. I would have stayed put.

Both. Personally much better, I found my wife and we have had 4 great, healthy boys together. Fiscally - much worse. Cost of living is much higher here, and pay scale is lower. It is a tough row to hoe with 4 growing boys.

7. Do you have friends of relatives in other states that tried to either directly persuade you not to move to Maine or showed their displeasure/disapproval/incredulity/disgust/non-enthusiasm in more subtle ways? Why, do you know?

Yes, several family members. They were much better versed in finances than I was, and frankly I didn't care because I was single and lived for the day, not the future.

8. Do you think the town where you live now in Maine will eventually turn into the place you left? If so, how long will it take?

Never. At least until they figure out how to park a 22,000 square mile lake in my backyard, that is. And import pure sugar sand beaches that stretch for over a hundred miles to go with the lake.

How mild the winters are. Don't laugh, I'm not kidding. How incredibly bad they drive.

Yes and no. If you want to get rich, this isn't the place. If you want down home people and super landscapes, there are very few places that will match this state. Overall it is up to each individual and/or family to determine if it is a good fit. What started out as a good fit, isn't any more for me.

Nothing. Seriously, I've been top to bottom, side to side of this State and have seen some amazing places and people. First thing I did was to buy a DeLorme atlas and gazetteer, then spend a lot of time going to every single point of interest listed in the front. Most, at least a couple of times. From rock climbing to White water rafting, deep sea fishing to watching amazing displays of the Northern Lights.

Maine will always hold special memories for me and my family, but, it is time we moved on. This is due to a couple of reasons, some personal, some geographical. My wife is going back to school to finish her advanced nursing degree as well as obtaining a DO (Dr. of Osteopathy). For this last one there is no school in the state for the degree and one of the best is close to where I grew up and still have friends and family. Career and schools are what is drawing us out of the state this time.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:09 PM

454 posts, read 886,406 times

I'm originally from upstate NY, but was stuck for a very long year in Mass before escaping here, and I've been here about 6 months.

I've wanted to live in Maine since I was 4. When my contract ended with my federal job, I didn't *have* to stay within certain states anymore, so I figured it was as good a time as any.

We are basically centrally located, affording us the ability to access any corner of the state we want to play in. We live in a very rural area, yet all the convienences of Augusta are just down the road a piece.

I was never *uncomfortable* about it. I couldn't get here fast enough.

Absofreakinlutely!

Bills, cost of living, taxes, politics, yada yada yada...there are problems with such issues wherever you are, some better some worse...
But a contented soul and a simple life are SUCH good things.

They knew it was useless, so no.

Ummm...no. I left Mass to come here, totally different way of life. Besides, we got bugs. BIG bugs.

I'll let you know

No. Maine is not for the faint of heart. A person needs to make their own INFORMED decision.

Hmmm....well, I haven't met any of you fine folks yet

Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,129 times
1.Where did you come from and how long have you been in Maine?

I came from Northern Va.

Young and foolish…I was looking for a change.

It was where I got hired

I am still not comfortable

NO! I would have chosen another state or stayed where I was.

Tough…I was a lot younger and no making as much…But I would have to say no! everyone that stayed where I used to work in Va. is doing so much better than me The low crime here is nice…but that’s about it…everything else is harder.

I had friends that thought I was making a mistake…and voiced their concern…but it was in a heartfelt way….they were right.

Never!

Good….little has changed here with respect to crime and drugs ect. It’s still a very rural place.
Bad……A lot of the people here tend to be closed minded and not very worldly. Most of my closest friends still live in other states.

I might if I felt sure I understood what it was they were looking for or how much they were giving up to come here. Otherwise I would try and stick to just giving them my own thoughts and experience.

1. Hike Mt Katahdin
2. Canoe the Allagash
3. Flyfish

Old 11-30-2007, 03:10 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I am sorry but this made me LOL!!! You must not live in Maine USA because there is no place in Maine USA that has low taxes. Maine is one of the highest taxed states in the country! It was #1 at one point and may still be!!

I will answer the questions in a little bit when I have some time to respond...but work calls me right now.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:41 AM

497 posts, read 1,567,701 times

Came from Massachusetts. I have been here for 7 years (April 2000 move date)

We have been on many family vacations and liked it so we decided to give it a shot.

We looked for apartments in the Portland area and found what we were looking for in Falmouth.

Before we even signed the lease.

No. I would have looked south. Florida most likely.

Better. Massachusetts sucks.

Nope. Everyone was supportive. Some of my friends said "Why Maine?" I told them because it's better then here.

I hope not. Where I am at now has more going for it.

How liberal it has become (bad) It's one of the biggest reasons I left Mass and Maine has become just like Mass. All we need is to get some Kennedy's to run for office and it will be Mass.

I don't think so. Unless the politics (taxes) change big time I see this state getting worse instead of better.

Move to Florida lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine