Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I moved from Florida to Tennessee last summer. We totally love it -the slower pace of life, conservative values, friendly neighbors, etc.

Now, hubby's a Jersey boy, but he's traveled and lived all over the US. He was quite the nomad before me. I however have never lived anywhere other than SW FL on an island. I loved living on an island. I love the water. But I hate what became of where I grew up and we moved for many reasons.

I'm missing the water though and want to live somewhere near it again. I've vacationed in ME and fell in love with it in the summer. I've spent the fall in Jersey. The shore was fun, but having the toll Nazi's accuse me of running a toll there and want to rape me for it - I refused to pay them anything until they showed me proof I ran it because I know I paid everyone (there's probably an arrest warrant out on me in NJ now!!) - so I refuse to even visit there again. As a matter of fact I told hubby once we find the land we want in ME and build our house, I'll take a 3 day detour driving up there so I never have to drive through Jersey again. I tend to hold a bit of a grudge!!

Anyway, we want to find a place that's got the same slower pace of life, conservative values, friendly neighbors, but is on the water - even if it's just a lake, cove, bay, or whatever, but it does have to be on or near the Atlantic coast. I don't want to be inland. I miss seagulls and the smell of the salt air. Guess it's deep in my blood.

I think I'll be in heaven there if we can find the town we're looking for. It'll be a retirement place for us, 4 months or so a year. Our children will all be grown (in about 5 years we'll plan on building, just want to buy land now). Hubby is afraid I won't be happy there though. So I'm wondering if anyone else has moved from FL to ME and how they like it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 09:23 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
I'm leaving Maine and relocating to TN.
You will find Maine has a much lower sales tax but the cost of living is higher here compared to TN.
You would probably like Molly's area in Washington County. Southern and Central Maine coastline is quite built up and pricey.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:42 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Hey Mrs 1885!
How about the reverse situation? I moved from a small island off the coast of Maine where I'd lived my entire life to (SE) South Florida 16 mos ago.
I completely understand your need to smell the ocean and hear the gulls. Being brought up on the Atlantic Ocean, I could never ever leave it. It's in my blood. I was fortunate enough to be able to live directly on in here. Damned if I can find a gull though. Pelicans, yes, no gulls.

Great location on/near the water? Brunswick/Topsham area. Check it out! 10 miles from the ocean or if you can afford it, go directly to Harpswell area. East Harpswell is a long strech of area extending sw. The 'other side' consists of a series of islands, all connected by bridges. Great Island, Orr's Island and finally Bailey Island. You will love this area. It's gorgeous! Talk about friendly. Land will cost you a fortune, but you'll wake up every morning to the sites and sounds of the local lobsterman going out to sea. Again, I'll refer you back to the Brunswick /Topsham area. College town, 30 minutes north of Portland. More affordable housing / land. There is currently a naval air station there, however it's on the closure list. Therefore you should within a couple years see a drop in housing costs. Oh, and there are no toll nazis! Plenty of raping and pilaging if you find the right crowd though.
Good luck.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,422 times
Lightbulb Have you thought about Bethel...

I have some friends that purchased land in Bethel, ME. It is right near Sunday River Ski Resort and the town has been listed in the top 10 outdoor towns. It is a quaint area with great views and local charm. The property they bought is called Great Brook Preserve...it isnt right near water, but very beautiful.

Last edited by Maine Mama; 09-20-2007 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-20-2007, 12:00 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
My Mum came from Bethel.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the input guys! We were looking more toward the north part of the state - like the Eastport area. Is that near any of the places you've all mentioned?

Old 09-20-2007, 03:10 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
Eastport is in Washington County. Molly will be your best advice on the area.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:50 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
Default Eastport!!

oh....there is some nice info online about Eastport, AND....I grew up there, Dramamama just visited, and Corgis has a summer home there!! Also, Ed Smith just moved to his summer home with his family just across the bay in Lubec....

Have you googled it yet for websites? Try doing that if you haven't all ready, I think there are three different ones....and we'll try to answer your questions

Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 PM

Really?? Wow. I just assumed it would be a little unknown out of the way kind of town!!! Cool!! I'll go check it out now!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:07 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
try eastport.me.info for good information on Eastport. I love Eastport and I miss it a lot now that I'm back in WV with all the high taxes, crime and chemical plant smells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine