Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 07:44 PM

307 posts, read 1,588,842 times

Advertisements

Here is a link to an article from the newpaper in the area I currently live. Is there any discussion about old paper mills producing Ethanol going on in Maine?

newsobserver.com | New life for paper mills: Ethanol plants (http://www.newsobserver.com/front/story/717702.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Many groups are looking for government grants for product and process development. There is no private operation producing ethanol or methanol at a profit in our country. It takes the quivalent of 1.8 gallons of Diesel to produce one gallon of ethanol. There is far less energy in a gallon of ethanol than in any petroleum product. It's a loser all the way around.

Brazil, meanwhile, produces huge amounts of ethanol from sugar. They also produce the VW bug down there. They have very low emissions. It is illegal to sell a new VW Diesel bug in Maine.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 09-28-2007 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-28-2007, 03:56 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
This is a project with UMO to produce ethanol from cellulose. They also have an ongoing wood composition project and someone up to Greenville will be producing composite timbers for bridge construction as part of the business incubator there.

I hope it works. I know a few who got their Chem degree in paper and never got jobs in the field.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
As long as ethanol production does not result in the same nasty smell that plagued the paper mills and the towns that surrounded them, sounds like a great idea.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:43 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Many groups are looking for government grants for product and process development. There is no private operation producing ethanol or methanol at a profit in our country. It takes the quivalent of 1.8 gallons of Diesel to produce one gallon of ethanol. There is far less energy in a gallon of ethanol than in any petroleum product. It's a loser all the way around.

Brazil, meanwhile, produces huge amounts of ethanol from sugar. They also produce the VW bug down there. They have very low emissions. It is illegal to sell a new VW Diesel bug in Maine.
They also produce a lot of ethanol vehicles [being the second largest automobile manufacturer in the world], and since gasoline passenger vehicles are illegal in Brazil, everything there burns either diesel or ethanol.

Their ethanol is produced at a huge profit. And they keep trying to import their ethanol into the US, congress will not allow it. They could import their ethanol, under-cut our gasoline prices and still make a nice profit.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:31 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Brazil's ethanol production is run by the government. There is no profit. The people pay for it through taxes and drivers benefit. Actually, everybody in Brazil benefits since their currency does not go to Saudi Arabia or Venezuela.

I'm surprised that they are listed as the second largest vehicle manufacturer. Can they be bigger than Japan?

Old 09-29-2007, 07:36 AM

581 posts, read 712,748 times
Default July 2005 study skeptical of Ethanol economics

Study Slams Economics Of Ethanol And Biodiesel

Old 09-29-2007, 05:15 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
I haven't read the study (yet), but I will relate my own experience with ethanol. I pay attention to my fuel mileage and I have noticed that it is significantly worse when using ethanol. So much so that that my vehicles are actually burning more than 20% MORE gasoline than they would burning gasoline alone. Is it just my vehicles? I don't know, but in my mind, the public is being sold a bill of goods on this deal.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 AM

581 posts, read 712,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post

I don't mean to discourage the prospect of ethanol production - it could well be a good fit for Maine with all of our forest biomass, but if it takes more fossil fuel energy to create than what it eventually produces in net energy creation, what's the point? Looking at it from another angle, however, if our intentions are to reduce greenhouse gases, as opposed to merely finding an alternate energy source away from oil, we may be onto something. If we could instead power the ethanol production process with say windpower (unlikely) or solar power (?), etc., it might work. My favorite is the possibility of using geothermal energy, that is, converting earth heat to usable energy. Take a quick peek at this graphic: http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/grossmaz/temp.jpeg

The problem I see, in my conspiratorial state of mind, is who possesses the means of accessing this huge resource hundreds of miles down? I think you guessed it: THE OIL COMPANIES! Anybody want to start our own independant drilling company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: