Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe we are experiencing global warming/climate change?
No 23 24.21%
Yes 65 68.42%
Not Sure 7 7.37%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 AM

837 posts, read 1,711,229 times

Advertisements

Well thanks for all that information Forest--I'm enjoying it. And I guess I have to concede that Al Gore did not invent or create the internet--he did sponsor a bill to fund its enhancement so us non-techies can use it.

I do remember using Gopher and FTP in the easrly 90's. In the late 80's we used something (Fidonet?) to connect to a database that helped us analyze our DNA sequences. My role at that time was to set by our computer geek and read him my results so he could send it off.

I always wished I was a computer geek, but I'm not and, in fact, have been waiting all morning for my wireless connection to stabilize enough to get on to the internet.

But this internet stuff is way off topic, so--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 04:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
"Good to know there are lots of smarties in Maine!"

At our coffee counter in the morning there are retired engineers, college professors, an ambassador, a retired CIA operative, truckers and loggers. Some mornings we might talk about the Hickes Hansen Model of Disaggregated Macoreconomic Demand and some mornings we talk about smelt fishing.

There is education that you buy down at the education store in Orono and there is education you earn along the way. Both are good and both are well respected in Maine for their own values. Everybody is an expert at something except the character made famous by Tim Sample. "Hubert not only don't know nuthin. He don't even suspect nuthin."

Old 10-04-2007, 06:55 PM

145 posts, read 338,676 times
Well I use the term "smart" loosely... You could be the smartest dude on paper and be life stupid. It's all relative.. I could never hold down that conversation of disaggregated macroeconomic demand but I have wicked common sense and intuition. Darned good with languages too...but I have always believed that there is genius in everyone...God-given, unique, genius.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
As my old door gunner used to say on occasion, "Perzackly".

Old 10-21-2007, 08:50 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Even the "red states" are taking climate change seriously. Kansas just decided not to allow a permit to build coal plants that would have emitted over 10 million tons of carbon dioxide a year. Instead, the state will probably build natural gas plants and wind farms to produce electricity.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"Good to know there are lots of smarties in Maine!"

At our coffee counter in the morning there are retired engineers, college professors, an ambassador, a retired CIA operative, truckers and loggers. Some mornings we might talk about the Hickes Hansen Model of Disaggregated Macoreconomic Demand and some mornings we talk about smelt fishing.

There is education that you buy down at the education store in Orono and there is education you earn along the way. Both are good and both are well respected in Maine for their own values. Everybody is an expert at something except the character made famous by Tim Sample. "Hubert not only don't know nuthin. He don't even suspect nuthin."
I would love to have coffee at your coffee counter some morning! What a simulating bunch to start your day off with...you are very fortunate.

byw, love your Hubert reference!

Old 10-22-2007, 02:14 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
I would love to have coffee at your coffee counter some morning! What a simulating bunch to start your day off with...you are very fortunate.

byw, love your Hubert reference!
ditto... and likely I will at some point. I tend to find places like that when I am out early on "local" rambles and photo shoots. You learn some very interesting things sitting in the corner, drinking coffee and keeping your ears open.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:42 PM

163 posts, read 908,749 times
Here's what I want to know; Why is it that this is a political argument, and not a scientific one?

It seems like 99% of Americans have decided what their position on this issue is, based on whether or not they like Al Gore...or if they are Democrats or Republicans.

Are people really that simple minded and sheep-like? There are some brilliant scientists on both sides of the debate, all of which have some extremely compelling and convincing arguments. But it seems like your average personn is clueless about any of the science...they've made up their minds solely on the basis of their political beliefs.

I guess in a way, you could say Al Gore has unknowingly done the world a disservice by being the spokesman and poster boy for global warming. His involvement has caused the debate to become more about politics than science. But of course that's not really Al's fault....

Old 10-22-2007, 03:17 PM

454 posts, read 886,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
Here's what I want to know; Why is it that this is a political argument, and not a scientific one?

It seems like 99% of Americans have decided what their position on this issue is, based on whether or not they like Al Gore...or if they are Democrats or Republicans.

Are people really that simple minded and sheep-like? There are some brilliant scientists on both sides of the debate, all of which have some extremely compelling and convincing arguments. But it seems like your average personn is clueless about any of the science...they've made up their minds solely on the basis of their political beliefs.

I guess in a way, you could say Al Gore has unknowingly done the world a disservice by being the spokesman and poster boy for global warming. His involvement has caused the debate to become more about politics than science. But of course that's not really Al's fault....
Pretty big blanket ya got there.

Global warming isn't the only major issue with the government being where it doesn't belong.

I for one believe we are experiencing some kind of (historically repetitive or not) tremendous shift in the weather, among other things.

... I believe so because I have my senses, my eyes and my brain, not any party affiliation or beliefs.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post

You do know that some of us are neither dems or repubs...right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine