Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
"Lurking" isn't wrong. In fact it might be a good idea for one who is new to a forum to lurk and read the posts for a while in order to get the "lay of the land", so to speak. On the other hand, trolling (posting offensive or confrontational messages with the intention of inciting arguments) is generally considered somewhat rude.
". . . generally considered somewhat rude." Yeah, like it'll get you barred from here. Of course, since it's a judgment call, I'm still not sure exactly where you cross the line between an honest attempt to tell people what they should know about a place, including the negatives, and trolling. Maybe it's like that judge who was asked to define the difference between obscenity and legitimate art with an erotic theme. He said something to the effect that he couldn't describe exactly where it crossed the line into obscenity, but "I know it when I see it." Maybe trolling is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
I don't worry when my kids go out to play, or when my teens go out at night....chances are good that if they've gotten themselves in trouble I'll know before they even get home... [quote, Mollysmiles]

Love it! Love the whole post, but this especially got a laugh out of me.

Amazingly enough, they let me give you rep!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
". . . generally considered somewhat rude." Yeah, like it'll get you barred from here. Of course, since it's a judgment call, I'm still not sure exactly where you cross the line between an honest attempt to tell people what they should know about a place, including the negatives, and trolling. Maybe it's like that judge who was asked to define the difference between obscenity and legitimate art with an erotic theme. He said something to the effect that he couldn't describe exactly where it crossed the line into obscenity, but "I know it when I see it." Maybe trolling is the same.
It's a little more definitive, I think. Posting something like "Mainers are all ignorant, inbred hicks" would be easily labeled as "trolling".

Blatant generalized offensive/confrontational messages with reckless disregard for the truth are trolling, legitimate observations are not. Of course, a talented troll could skillfully flirt with the line and leave people wondering as to their true intent.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:25 PM

41 posts, read 156,991 times
I can relate so much to RuralSeeker. I am in the same situation. I have lived in quite a few places and still have not found my peace and quiet with a nice home on land where it is affordable. I have delt with loud, rude neighbors no matter where I've lived. I am so worn out from it. Right now I am living in Utah, where it is beautiful and I THOUGHT I would find peace and quiet, but I couldn't find a house so I ended up in a condo.......loud TV's, loud stereo's, loud kids screaming and running, doors slamming. I would really love to find what I am looking for in the West. There just has to be somewhere affordable, where the wages are decent and it is rural and QUIET! If you find that kind of place, RuralSeeker, or if anyone else knows FOR SURE of such a place, please let me know!!!

Old 10-07-2007, 09:33 PM

26 posts, read 76,312 times
Default I ASSURE you this is exactly what you describe...

Hi, We live in a community that is full of families and down to earth "mainers" as well as the likes of "Dr. McDreamy", and many other very wealthy year rounders or second home visitors. We live two doors down from "the Vegetable Corner", where everyone knows each other by first name. It is the best "butcher" shop, veggie stand, and bakery-all owned and operated by one family. That is a much loved spot by all. Across the street from there is "The Blackbird Cafe", where you can sit and enjoy awesome coffee,homemade pastries and even quaint dinners, all in the old schoolhouse,owned and run by a local couple w/children. A short (1/2 mile) walk across the "Mountain Rd" will bring you to a little wine and cheese shop open till 6, 6 days a week-all year round (also locally run bus.). People rave about it! And a hop skip and a jump brings you to the ocean where you can do some exploring with your kids at the public (small) beach, or launch your boat! Then, not even two miles from our house down "The Neck"(rte.123) will bring you to the Kellogg church where you will find wonderful people and great sunday school, but mostly the Harpswell pre-school (private) which is where our kids go. They have the most wonderful (I know I keep using that word!) teachers, and a nurturing environment. (Also tennis courts). Then a few doors down is another great church which is Baptist. The minister is in his 30's,married with I think 4 boys.
Harpswell is the town that is close to Brunswick Maine,but is the only town in Maine with the most water frontage. Also the only town boasting over 40 off-shore islands! There are two "fingers" if you look at a map, ours is Harpswell Neck(rte.123) and across the Mountain Rd. you connect to(rte.24)Orr's Island, and then Bailey Island (also tons of amenities). Within 6 miles of our location, you can be at Bowdoin College, or any of Harpswell's many amenities; restaurants,beaches,little known coves (for collecting sea glass),local artisans shops,fresh lobster at many diff. wharfs, the list goes on. Check out "The Harpswell Anchor" website; it's the monthly local newspaper. Also feel free to e-mail me at cibass10@juno.com for more info on our home-there's too much too list. Harpswell and Brunswick are both still very charming, small communities with access to Portland in 45 min's. The qualities of Harpswell and "Harpswellians" are too many to list. The community and development is now being protected by the Harpswell Land Trust committee, so it will never end up like Bar Harbor (which is beautiful, but overpopulated). I could really go on and on! If you know of Bowdoin College, you'll realize that there is another huge array of benefits to locals and childrens programs through the college. We are also within 20 minutes of Freeport (home of L.L.Bean).Need I say more? Anyone else interested in an awesome home (modest-330,000 with an acre,1,219.00 taxes(no kidding))may also contact us!I'd be happy to send photos and listing info.

[+] Rate this post positively
[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]

Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I don't know about all your factors, but in terms of affordability, I read something in the last year recommendating the Dakotas, especially North Dakota. (If you're posting in the Maine forum, I imagine you can tolerate cold weather.)

But have you done actual research? Money magazine seems to periodically do articles on places to live. And have you looked at the website that supposedly help you narrow down geographical options for you?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:28 PM

10 posts, read 22,680 times
Over here in Western Maine, its all pretty much rural. Our family lives right in the middle of a 44 acre lot. I actually have to drive to the end of the road to get the kids on and off the bus every day. Its UBER quiet, except for the coyotes, when they get a little close. We have deer and turkeys, even a bear on an odd occasion. But, when we need something or someone has to go to the hospital(I do have 3 kids, it happens), we're 20 minutes out.

If you are looking for land, Western Maine has several areas where it can be purchased for well under 1k an acre. Considering the market thats a steal.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:46 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
But have you done actual research? Money magazine seems to periodically do articles on places to live. And have you looked at the website that supposedly help you narrow down geographical options for you?
That was how I got to thinking about Maine.

We were living in Italy, looking at my retirement rapidly approaching, and we needed somewhere to go to stateside. 25 years of bouncing around to wherever your employer sends you, we had never really had the option of deciding for ourselves where to live.

It was Money Magazine and [I think the second magazine was] Consumer's Reports that both had articles suggesting Maine.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:06 PM

32 posts, read 169,378 times
Default Everything is relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
What fascinating dis-information

If you are coming from CA, it is unbelieveably affordable........depends where you ar coming from. I notice if you go off coast and into heart of Maine, can find houses for 50,000.........

Old 10-10-2007, 03:18 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vera206 View Post
If you are coming from CA, it is unbelieveably affordable.....
True.

Or if you are coming from Portland Maine.

Or Ct.

Or ...

Quote:
... I notice if you go off coast and into heart of Maine, can find houses for 50,000...
Yes, there is that too.

We decided to build our own home, so it is much cheaper. However we were able to buy a much nicer piece of land, since we were not looking to buy an existing home.

So we paid much less than that, for many acres with riverfrontage.

Though I do understand that not everyone wants riverfrontage, not everyone is existed about living in a forest setting, wildlife, fishing, hunting, kayaking, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine