Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
In Alaska it drops as Manna.

Not only does Alaska have no income tax, but Alaska also pays every citizen a thousand or two every year, as their share of oil revenue.

If they ever build those offshore wind turbines in Maine, you think Maine will pay every citizen his cut? That'll be the day.
What's so funny about this is that someone is naive enough to think these will EVER pull a real profit. We are paying our cut right now... to subsidize these and all the funny looking windmills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 03:02 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NH property taxes DEPEND on the exact town that one lives in! The property tax rates can range from a low of $3.00 per $1,000 assessed value in Hale's Location to over $32.00 per $1,000 assessed value in Claremont. I can think of many towns in New Hampshire near the Maine border that have similar property taxes as the towns on the other side of the border in Maine.
Which is the beauty of living in NH: local control. In Maine, the State thinks of itself as a sugar-daddy, taxing everyone and bureaucrats deciding who gets it back. In NH you can make an informed decision. Look at the services the town provides, look at the tax rate, make a decision... just like an adult.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:32 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
You may be right about this but I have found that towns with low "mill rates" make up for it with high assessed values... and likewise, towns with high "mill rates" might have low assessed values. I know that any property taxes I've ever paid have been on assessed values that were way lower than what I paid for the property, but the taxes still seemed quite high for what I had.

It's sort of like what happens when you get re-assessed. Your property's value may go up but if everyone else's property values have gone up as well, the town generally drops the mill rate so that your taxes stay approximately the same.

Have you found this to be the case in NH?
It is far more complicated than that. What I would highly suggest is get on google maps or google earth and get out an atlas. Many towns in NH have a very large land area that contains properties of a wide range of price, sqft, acerage, etc. Focus on the towns with the lowest rates with more reasonable property prices that are not inflated by having access to a lake or a mountiain view. If you want suggestions about towns to focus on that have more reasonable tax rates send me a DM.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 PM

5 posts, read 8,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Sounds like you'd be better off in Maine, because in lean years you'll still have to pay NH high property taxes...
haven't looked at whole thread, but you might consider Mt. Washington in NH; some of lowest property taxes in the state, only about an hour or two from Portland for shopping.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icanseeformiles(andmiles) View Post
haven't looked at whole thread, but you might consider Mt. Washington in NH; some of lowest property taxes in the state, only about an hour or two from Portland for shopping.

You mean North Conway or Gorham NH? The rest of it is National Forest.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:40 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
You meant the Mount Washington Valley.

The absolute lowest property tax rates in NH are found in the Lakes Region, however. The one exception is Hale's Location which is basically a golf course town west of North Conway with no services.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:58 PM

393 posts, read 982,051 times
For five years we looked at property in NH's White Mts (Mt. Washington Valley area) and it was just a lot more expensive than right over the border in ME. So we bought raw land in ME and built a home (the White Mt. Natl Forest is adjacent to our house). Have been here about 3 years now. Shopping-wise, I'm just about equidistant between No. Conway, Bridgton and Norway-Oxford. However, since the recession, prices in NH have become much more reasonable, and I regret to some extent not living in NH - but I'm not complaining. I love living here and every day is a new adventure in a positive sense. The reasons I "prefer" NH are practical: better/cheaper health insurance in NH; and even though we might pay $2K more annually in property tax for a comparable home in NH, the savings by not paying State income tax in NH compensates for the more expensive property tax by quite a bit. I like Maine very much, but think government is run better in NH. I really am on the ME-NH border (the Caribou-Speckled Mt. Wilderness is my backyard) so in many ways I get the best of both worlds. I buy my gas in No. Conway area as it tends to be about $.10/gal cheaper, but food is slightly cheaper in ME at the grocery store so I do most food shopping on the ME side.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 8,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
For five years we looked at property in NH's White Mts (Mt. Washington Valley area) and it was just a lot more expensive than right over the border in ME. So we bought raw land in ME and built a home (the White Mt. Natl Forest is adjacent to our house). Have been here about 3 years now. Shopping-wise, I'm just about equidistant between No. Conway, Bridgton and Norway-Oxford. However, since the recession, prices in NH have become much more reasonable, and I regret to some extent not living in NH - but I'm not complaining. I love living here and every day is a new adventure in a positive sense. The reasons I "prefer" NH are practical: better/cheaper health insurance in NH; and even though we might pay $2K more annually in property tax for a comparable home in NH, the savings by not paying State income tax in NH compensates for the more expensive property tax by quite a bit. I like Maine very much, but think government is run better in NH. I really am on the ME-NH border (the Caribou-Speckled Mt. Wilderness is my backyard) so in many ways I get the best of both worlds. I buy my gas in No. Conway area as it tends to be about $.10/gal cheaper, but food is slightly cheaper in ME at the grocery store so I do most food shopping on the ME side.
ever work on Porter Rd in Fryeburg? just wonderin' if I might know you.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:11 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Interesting. Are you saying that Alaska doesn't suffer from mosquito infestations like the northeast does?

And what's the deal with getting money from the government? Is there a catch? (This isn't the first time I've heard that Alaska's residents get money from the government every year as their share of the oil revenue, but when something seems to be too good to be true, often it is.)

Also, isn't Ketchikan on an island?
Mosquitoes don't carry lyme disease.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Thanks, but have to be within a short drive to the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine