Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 9,882 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to purchase a 2nd home on the waterfront in Maine, to be used by us (mostly during the summer) and also, on occasion, as a vacation rental. We are looking for a home that is not too far from one or more 'cool/interesting' and/or picturesque towns and also has a decent grocery store. We have about $800,000, more or less, to spend on a house. What areas/towns would you recommend? We are just turning 50, so not in the 'elderly' category, yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 01:18 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkraney View Post
My husband and I are looking to purchase a 2nd home on the waterfront in Maine, to be used by us (mostly during the summer) and also, on occasion, as a vacation rental. We are looking for a home that is not too far from one or more 'cool/interesting' and/or picturesque towns and also has a decent grocery store. We have about $800,000, more or less, to spend on a house. What areas/towns would you recommend? We are just turning 50, so not in the 'elderly' category, yet!
800K for deep water oceanfront might buy you a fixer upper. But wherever you buy, check out the local burglary rates.

Also keep an eye on where they're thinking of building those offshore wind turbines, which will spoil the view and hurt whatever equity your oceanfront investment might accrue.

Also take into account sea level rise, unstable shorelines, and Maine's regulations governing the use of shoreline property (you just can't cut down that tree to get a better view).

Old 08-11-2012, 01:47 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
800K for deep water oceanfront might buy you a fixer upper. But wherever you buy, check out the local burglary rates.

Also keep an eye on where they're thinking of building those offshore wind turbines, which will spoil the view and hurt whatever equity your oceanfront investment might accrue.

Also take into account sea level rise, unstable shorelines, and Maine's regulations governing the use of shoreline property (you just can't cut down that tree to get a better view).

be careful outdoornut....you keep hurling boogers around....I'm going to ask a wiccan witch to cast a burrowing tick spell on you!!

for 800k in the market you can get much more than a fixer-upper,,,,, I think them ticks are already getting to you..

Old 08-11-2012, 02:25 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
You could get a nice place just about anywhere on the coast with that. Definately more than a fixer. Have you narrowed down an area or just in the beginning stage? Best advice I could give you is VISIT. Scope the place out a bit and see what you like. And what you don't. But be leary of advice from folks that don't visit the state.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:59 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
Quote:
It's going to depend on whether you are looking at lake front or ocean front property, how much frontage and what kind of community you are buying into.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
Quote:
You sure have a lot of positives working for you. I would think "on the waterfront " could mean many different things. I'd stay in the southern third of the state. Lots of rivers, lakes, inlets and bays to choose from and you'd be nearer a few more states to play in. Can you adopt me? j/k

Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
You could get a nice place just about anywhere on the coast with that. Definately more than a fixer. Have you narrowed down an area or just in the beginning stage? Best advice I could give you is VISIT. Scope the place out a bit and see what you like. And what you don't. But be leary of advice from folks that don't visit the state.
So far we are looking at places between Portland (and maybe just a little bit south) to Bar Harbor. We will be vacationing in Maine in the Spring, but want to have an idea of those gems of towns and/or locations that are super.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
It's going to depend on whether you are looking at lake front or ocean front property, how much frontage and what kind of community you are buying into.
We are interested in Ocean front property. How important is the deep water dock? My husband wants a purchase a boat that we can meander around in - do we need a deepwater dock or is it better to keep the boat in a marina or something? Also, how can I look up the depth of the water at high and low tide? We have visited Maine 15 years ago and I remember a large variance in the tide.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:37 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
We are interested in Ocean front property. How important is the deep water dock? My husband wants a purchase a boat that we can meander around in - do we need a deepwater dock or is it better to keep the boat in a marina or something? Also, how can I look up the depth of the water at high and low tide? We have visited Maine 15 years ago and I remember a large variance in the tide.

Tide Charts for Maine-Downeast | Maine Boats, Homes, and Harbors

The further up the coast you go,the higher the tides. York, I believe are about 10 ft (just looked, that's the highest normally) and Eastport will be about 22 foot (sometimes higher). If you find a place with a dock it will be easier than arguing with DEP and possibly Corps of Engineers (Boston) on putting one out. Just sayin'

Last edited by retiredtinbender; 08-12-2012 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Where do you live now? And are you planning on actually moving into the vacation home sometime in the future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine