Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post

A great idea for all courts no matter where they are, is to hire a permanent jury of say 24 people and rotate the two juries from case to case. In between trials, find them clerical work to do. It would give 24 people jobs and relieve the burden of having to pick new juries every time. Here in the city it would work amazingly well....lots of crime in certain areas so would generate tons of work!

I had a friend who was called to a grad jury in Philadelphia back in the 90's. She was a school teacher, and the district there had to hire a permanent sub for her on thursday and friday of every week for a year. They team taught. She was there on M, T, W, and the sub was there on T, F. The court system put her up every week at a hotel in Philly on Thursday nights, and paid her transportation. It lasted for 12 long months. I hope she never ever had to do jury duty ever again.

So maybe the process that picked me up was when I registered my Car last in 2011?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
Sly, jurors are usually chosen from the voter registration rolls. I suspect there is a "do not call" list in some counties of people they know would be disqualified anyway, such as reporters. During my time in the news business, I was never once called for jury duty. A year after I left, I got called for a federal District Court trial.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Frequently Asked Questions | District of Maine | United States District Court

Old 08-27-2012, 12:05 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,291 times
I was called for the federal grand jury a number of years ago. I told them I worked for the newspaper - kinda hoping to be let off the year long stint. They told me they didn't care where I worked because if I divulged what went on in the grand jury room I would be prosecuted for blabbing. I went up to Bangor two or three days a month for 18 months. It was a fascinating experience and greatly expanded my knowledge of the process. And, I finally understood the joke about any decent DA being able to get a ham sandwich indicted!

We should welcome the opportunity to serve. It is sometimes inconvenient but how much time have we wasted at something far less important?

Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
I have been in the jury pool many times over the years but only actually served on 2 cases. Both of them for drunk drivers. The very first case was years ago when my kids were 3 and 6 and they were looking for a jury for a woman accused of killing yer small child. Thank God I didn't get picked for that one. I never resented being called as it is the fairest system there is for the accused.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,576 times
I've served three times. I always get picked. I must look like a sucker for justice or something. I had a rape case for two weeks, a drunk driving case for one week and a burglary/mall/security case for one week. Last month, I was called again. I had to recuse myself this time for personal financial reasons but would have liked to serve again. It's always a kick in the pants to me. I don't usually get to see the system at work. It's fascinating how everything lays out and comes to an end with a verdict. It's a little like tv only different.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I've served three times.
I've never been called for jury duty! I've always been registered to vote, and lived most of my working life (40 years) in Maine. Funny how that works, but I like it so far.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I have been in the jury pool many times over the years but only actually served on 2 cases. Both of them for drunk drivers. The very first case was years ago when my kids were 3 and 6 and they were looking for a jury for a woman accused of killing yer small child. Thank God I didn't get picked for that one. I never resented being called as it is the fairest system there is for the accused.
I doubt whether they would choose me for a drunk driver, since I was hit by one. I had to have surgery later because of it, and the knee still bothers me. This means I'm biased against them.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 PM

Someone else on this forum told me that they were also chosen locally for the district court and that they had to do 7 cases in 14 days. From their description once they decide I am a good choice, nothing I can say to them, whether I'm an A Class Bigot, whether I know the defendant, nothing will deter them from choosing me.

I'm interested in serving, but I do have some interesting views. In Mid Atlantic where I came from, lawyers were pretty picky about who they would take. But is possible that the jury pool here is much smaller. After all just a medium size city there is equal to the largest city in all of Maine.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
Slyfox - I think "everone" should be biased about drunk drivers. I have NO tolarance for them or for those that cause injuries and crashes while texting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine