Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,607 times

Advertisements

I am planning to make a trip with my family to Acadia national park during the Thanksgiving weekend in November.

We will be 3 adult couples and are therefore looking for at least a 3-bedroom cottage. Since it is off-season there due to the winter, I had budgeted $500 for renting the cottage for 3 nights in Bar Harbor or surrounding areas. However, most cottages on homeaway, vrbo etc are at least $1000 for the week and most don't rent for less than a week - many don't rent at all after October.

Can someone please suggest some cottage or similar accommodation based on the following requirements:

1. Should be somewhere around Acadia National park but not necessarily very close. We do like some touristy hustle-bustle, so being in/near a town is a plus, but it's not necessary.

2. At least 3 bedroom cottage/cabin/home.

3. Should rent out for only 3 nights and be operational during November. Our budget is $500 total for the 3 nights, however it can be stretched a bit for something good.

I will be really grateful for any suggestions of specific cottages or any tips on how to find one. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,893,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmanhattan View Post
I am planning to make a trip with my family to Acadia national park during the Thanksgiving weekend in November.

We will be 3 adult couples and are therefore looking for at least a 3-bedroom cottage. Since it is off-season there due to the winter, I had budgeted $500 for renting the cottage for 3 nights in Bar Harbor or surrounding areas. However, most cottages on homeaway, vrbo etc are at least $1000 for the week and most don't rent for less than a week - many don't rent at all after October.

Can someone please suggest some cottage or similar accommodation based on the following requirements:

1. Should be somewhere around Acadia National park but not necessarily very close. We do like some touristy hustle-bustle, so being in/near a town is a plus, but it's not necessary.

2. At least 3 bedroom cottage/cabin/home.

3. Should rent out for only 3 nights and be operational during November. Our budget is $500 total for the 3 nights, however it can be stretched a bit for something good.

I will be really grateful for any suggestions of specific cottages or any tips on how to find one. Thank you.
Most of the tourists and summer people will have left by Thanksgiving. Many seasonal businesses will have closed waiting to open again in April or May of 2013. Contact/Call or email the Chamber of Commerce Tourist Info Centers in Ellsworth and Bar Harbor. They should know which places will still be open in November.
Bar Harbor, ME Chamber of Commerce; One of the Best Places to Visit in Maine & New England

Ellsworth Area Chamber of Commerce

Bar Harbor Cottages Rentals Cabin Rentals Acadia

Here's a possibility... Windward Cottages - Bar Harbor Oceanside Vacation Rentals

Old 09-14-2012, 12:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,263 times
Take another look at the Homeaway & VRBO listings. Owners may state that they'll only rent for a week, but if you see that their calendar is wide open they may be open to negotiation so they don't lose out on money. Mainegrl's Windward Cottages suggestion is also good.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 11,846 times
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you will find it very difficult to locate what you are looking for.
I've been vacationing in the Acadia region, at various times of the year, for over 20 years. Some salient points that I can share:
There *isn't* any tourist hustle-bustle *anywhere* in the region except a wee bit in Bar Harbor itself, at Thanksgiving time. There will be no day or half-day cruises available, and very few activities in Acadia National Park. If you enjoy hiking, there will be plenty of that available, of course.
The weather in November is cold, and can be pretty raw -- Maine is a cool climate, that's why people come up here in the summer to get away from the oppressive heat further south. Because Maine is cooler, most rentals don't have A/C, it's not needed. Since "the season" is over in October, however, some rentals also don't have any heat. Those that do have heat often use oil, which is not cheap when you are using it all day long. Therefore, you can't expect an inexpensive rental even in off-season -- the heating costs off-season are monumental.
The only place that I know of that might work for you is Acadia Village Resort in Ellsworth, a timeshare facility that I believe will also rent to the public if they have vacancies. It's not exactly what I tend to think of as a "resort", but I have stayed there in the past and it is pleasant enough. http://www.acadiavillageresort.com/.
Please don't misunderstand -- I love downeast Maine, at all times of the year! But it does have its idiosyncracies that you need to be aware of. It's a very different way of life here than you are used to.
Good luck!

Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,347,933 times
I went to Acadia before in November, and loved it because it was empty

Stayed in Bar Harbor - it was also empty there.

I stayed at the Bar Harbor Inn (not the 'old' inn part) though, so i cant give you any ideas about the cottages. I do love the BHI.

Hope you find a nice place.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deema2b View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think you will find it very difficult to locate what you are looking for.
I've been vacationing in the Acadia region, at various times of the year, for over 20 years. Some salient points that I can share:
There *isn't* any tourist hustle-bustle *anywhere* in the region except a wee bit in Bar Harbor itself, at Thanksgiving time. There will be no day or half-day cruises available, and very few activities in Acadia National Park. If you enjoy hiking, there will be plenty of that available, of course.
The weather in November is cold, and can be pretty raw -- Maine is a cool climate, that's why people come up here in the summer to get away from the oppressive heat further south. Because Maine is cooler, most rentals don't have A/C, it's not needed. Since "the season" is over in October, however, some rentals also don't have any heat. Those that do have heat often use oil, which is not cheap when you are using it all day long. Therefore, you can't expect an inexpensive rental even in off-season -- the heating costs off-season are monumental.
The only place that I know of that might work for you is Acadia Village Resort in Ellsworth, a timeshare facility that I believe will also rent to the public if they have vacancies. It's not exactly what I tend to think of as a "resort", but I have stayed there in the past and it is pleasant enough. http://www.acadiavillageresort.com/.
Please don't misunderstand -- I love downeast Maine, at all times of the year! But it does have its idiosyncracies that you need to be aware of. It's a very different way of life here than you are used to.
Good luck!
I considered the might need heat factor when I offered suggestions keeping with the cottage request of the OP. Windward Cottages stay open until Dec. 1 so surely they have taken heat into consideration....or have heavy duty sleeping bags on the beds. Also, some cottages have fireplaces in them; that's why I suggested contacting the Chamber of Commerce to find out if any of them stay open through November. It could very well snow the week of Thanksgiving; it could snow for Halloween. There are some year round accommodations with heat, but I didn't suggest any of them because they weren't cottages....

Old 09-21-2012, 08:26 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,627 times
What do you hope to do at Thanksgiving in Bar Harbor?

It will be a pretty empty place. I had to go out to MDI early this morning, and even now there were plenty of places to park on the main drag. By November, there will be no more cruise ships, so 95% of the hotels and restaurants will be closed. Sure there is plenty to do, but most of that is stuff that the locals do in between working or doing other things.

Its not like there is much touristy things left. Yeah you can hike, but if there is any snow on the ground, you really don't want to do that, except on the carriage trails.

So the bottom line still remains: What is that you hope to do on MDI during Thanksgiving?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 PM

Don't listen to the pessimists and naysayers. Whether or not you will enjoy your trip in November has alot to do with attitude and expectations. Don't expect everything to be open; don't expect to have to drive around and hunt for a place to park; don't expect the sidewalks to be crowded with dogs and pedestrians. (nothing against dogs btw) I LOVE Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park any time of year....the natural scenery is always beautiful...enjoy the peace and quiet....personally I prefer a clear sunny day, but the fog can be attractive and creative as well....and maybe snow..."Walking in a Winter Wonderland...."

As I have said previously, contact the Chamber of Commerce if you want to know in advance the businesses that are open in November. Jordan's Restaurant beside Hannaford is open for breakfast and lunch. Geddy's will be open....just to name a couple. I like to go to Bar Harbor during all seasons for the compare and contrast. One of my favorite times on Sand Beach was during February. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 09-22-2012 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,128,627 times
OK... the Side Street Cafe will be open for sure. Mamma D's will be open. McKays Restaurant will be open. Jack Russel's Steak House will be open. Galen's will probably still be open. Two years ago the Aurora Inn was open in February, I hear. The Holiday Inn next to the old Ferry Dock is usually open year-round.

Reel Pizza, the best movie Theater in the whole world, will be open for sure. The Abbe Museum will be open, and probably the Atlantic Brewing Company store.

If you look in the MDIslander(newspaper) you will find a list of all kinds of events that are taking place all over MDI durin that time. There will be all kinds of Christmas type music events. The Jessup Library will most surely have something going on. Sherman's Book Store will be open. A good number of the shops will still be open because they don't close until MIDNIGHT MADNESS, which is a shopping event that takes place the evening of about December 2, when Santa Arrives by Clydesdale(altho he used to arrive on the dock by lobster boat, which I heard was way more fun).

There will be stuff to do, but it won't be the touristy stuff. What it will be, is the "stuff that the locals do" during the winter. You might just love it. Locals do!

And like Mainegrl2011 says, you can park anywhere you damm well please.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 AM

Slyfox2: It's about time....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine