Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 8,508 times

Advertisements

Eh, so I guess I shouldn't move my family to Maine. Seems like no one new is really wanted there. That's a bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 AM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumkaker View Post
Eh, so I guess I shouldn't move my family to Maine. Seems like no one new is really wanted there. That's a bummer.
I would hope you wouldn't let people who hang around on a message board actually have influence in your decisions. They don't speak for all of Maine. And we didn't elect the rude person above as our spokes person.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:13 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
As much as I love Belfast, given your criteria I think I'd put Rockland first, followed by Belfast, and then Portland. Rockland actually has something of a restaurant culture. Or you could compromise and live in Rockport or Lincolnville and have half-hour (or less) access to both towns while being part of the Camden school district, which is considered pretty good. Notice I did not recommend Camden, where home prices go up 20 percent just for the zip code.

As for the sourpuss(es) above, ignore them. They've been around ever since the 1960s. No, wait, the 1860s. Hmmm, maybe the 1760s. Back then, the newcomers wore red coats and carried muskets, which may explain their attitude today.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:03 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Ellsworth is the fastest growing city in Maine. Lots of great things going on there. Closeness to Acadia National Park, and closeness to Bangor for even more amenities.

You could live on MDI, but you would have to buy a house and the houses there are about a third higher than the same houses on the mainland. There are very few 12 month rentals. I know people who advertised for a 12 month rental in just one week in the Ellsworth American(the paper), and had the agencies be inundated with a 100 calls about it. Many people rent their houses for 9 months, and then you have to find some place else for the summer. Thus the reason for buying.

Living near Lamoine, I have found the people to be wonderful, and since Ellsworth is growing, they are more than interested in having new people move in. But there are wonderful properties for rent and for buying in Ellsworth

But unless you are retiring here, bringing along your pensions and SS and whatever else you saved, you will need to find a job. I suggest that you find one before you get here. Remember that the totla population of Maine through everywhere is about the same as the population of the much much smaller space of Philadelphia. There may be the same number of jobs as their are in Philly, but they are spread over a wider area. Where you live is move likely be dependent on where you find work.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,714 times
I just returned from a week in the Portland area looking for a retirement location. Everyone I met was very friendly and welcomed me to Maine. Several gave me their names and contact information so when I move, they can help me with any problems I might encounter. Thank you Mainers. I can't wait until next summer when I can officially retire. Yippee......

Old 08-14-2013, 01:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Since you're coming from Texas and used to no state income taxes, Maine does have a high tax rate on pensions (unless you really don't have much income) with minimal tax breaks...just something to keep in mind. Probably the only real negative I could find about retiring there....but the beauty of the place does offset.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Since you're coming from Texas and used to no state income taxes, Maine does have a high tax rate on pensions (unless you really don't have much income) with minimal tax breaks...just something to keep in mind. Probably the only real negative I could find about retiring there....but the beauty of the place does offset.
Maine does exempt something like $6,000 per person of pension income from state income taxes. So, that's something.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:03 PM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Since you're coming from Texas and used to no state income taxes, Maine does have a high tax rate on pensions (unless you really don't have much income) with minimal tax breaks ... just something to keep in mind. Probably the only real negative I could find about retiring there ... but the beauty of the place does offset.
Maine has a Personal Exemption and a Standard Deduction; together they exempt a good bit. A pension must exceed minimum-wage F/T income before it begins to be taxed.

I am on pension, it is not high enough to be taxed.

Plus we offer the same 'tax breaks' that are offered anywhere else [educational, health care, charity donations, etc].

This is a big part of why retirees have been moving to Maine.

There have been recent articles in the BDN about the US Census stats showing the migration of retirees moving to Maine.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:08 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,714 times
Quote:
I compared all the tax rates in places where I considered retiring. I'm a Budget guy with a state agency so doing that type of research is semi-fun for me - yeah I know that sounds weird. But for me, I have to weigh tax burden against all the other things an area has to offer. And after I completed my Excel worksheet and made trips to several states doing research, I found that the best combination for my personal tastes was the area around Portland. The trip last week was to confirm what we already had pretty much decided on and to focus on more specific areas to look for housing. And to my surprise, I've already been put in touch with an over-40 hockey group that plays on Tuesdays and an over-60 group that plays on Thursdays. Didn't find a house but I got the important things taken care of. 211 work days left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine