Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:21 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,095,340 times

Advertisements

I noticed this past week that gasoline and fuel oil prices have started rising to match the increase in crude oil prices -- regular was running $2.95 to $3.05 this morning on my way to work. Some people in the industry are expecting gasoline to be $3.25 for regular by Christmas, if not by Thanksgiving. Fuel oil may well be $3 a gallon before New Year's.

So will these increases affect your holiday plans for travel or gift giving? Any good advice for those of us looking for ways to cut expenses to make room for energy costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
It was $2.96 in Topsfield Saturday afternoon. I drive only once or twice a week so it won't affect me much. We burn wood for heat and since we barter for it the price doesn't matter much.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:38 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,419,586 times
Gas is up to 2.65 here this week, but we usually run within 10-15 cents of Maine prices, so I expect a bigger jump next week. We've conserved as much as possible since fuel went over $2.50 a gallon. I've never seen it this high in my life, and I remember sitting in the mile long line with my dad the night before prices hit .50 a gallon. Back then, people were filling 50 gallon drums to keep at home before "the big gas hike". They'd pee in their pants now!

I live by lists and schedules (I can't help myself! It's the only way I can remember everything!! ) so when I get ready to do my running, I always have a list of stops in town, and guage my trip to avoid any backtracking. It's pretty easy to start at one end and go to the other, then round the bend back home again.

Just last night, we cancelled a trip to downtown (Houston) for a business meeting, because we realized by the time we went to pick up our babysitter, went down for our meeting, then came back and took her home again we were looking at spending nearly $40 in gas. The meeting became much less important than I had originally thought!

When we visited Maine in March, we spent more on fuel than we did on lodging. THAT was an eye opener! Lodging is usually the most expensive part of our vacations.

I think a lot of us are changing our lifestyles somewhat due to the high prices.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:40 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,576,978 times
Move South

Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Gas in Presque Isle/Caribou/Washburn hasn't dipped below $2.94 for more than a day for a few months now, hit $3.07 yesterday and back to $2.99 today where it has been for a couple of weeks. High gas prices are a fact of living in this area, all the stations change at the same time, (not same day, same TIME) to exactly the same price so it doesn't matter where you get it. Not really going to affect our plans, we never go overboard with the kids anyway, and I will never own a credit card; so when Christmas is over, there is no dreading the coming bills for it.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
We'll go less often and stay longer. I see others doing the same.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
I filled one of my propane cylinders this morning and it was over $13, after having held steady around $12.75 or so for several years. I had expected it to go up last year... But that is still quite affordable for me compared to the alternative (electric...)

As far as the gasoline goes... I gather stuff for the grand kids all year long. It's the SHIPPING that usually kills me! LOL This year each of my kids (grown) are getting one of the local cookbooks I laid out (no, they did NOT cut me a deal when I bought them...) but they were paid for back in the summer. Various little things for the little ones. Likely a renewal of LiveJournal for my teen Granddaughter, and a book (not sure what) for her science-loving brother.

They live out west and I don't see them but once every few years; I have no kin within reasonable travel distances and always plan my driving trips to the store, etc for maximum effective travel.... so it will bite a bit, but not much. I use about half a tank per week, unless I need to go way out of my way (which I will over the next few weeks, several times, so that will be noticed more than the raise in price per gallon) and I fill up weekly.

I am definately being the "big spender" over the next few weeks.... this weekend to Jacksonville to buy a new, single size pillow top mattress set (I will move the queen temporarily to the living room for my a fortnight for my guest, then sell it and hopefully recoup much of the cost of the new bed) so there will be an extra half tank for that trip. I will look at some gift shopping as well as a visit to the craft store, as the have a Michaels and I need some stuff.. and then next weekend to Raleigh to pick up my friend from the "nearest" airport. He is here to meet with his attorney and to attend an appeal hearing for his disability claim which thanfully is only in New Bern (1/4 tank) and to visit the free clinic one last time, so there will be a few extra local trips too. Then, of course, back to the airport 2 weeks later.

But it could be worse! At least I never bought into the SUV craze!

Old 10-30-2007, 03:14 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,990 times
Today gas here was $2.89/gallon. I prebought $5,000 worth of heating oil at $2.49 about a month ago. I got it at that price because I sell the supplier's gasoline. High gas prices hurt businesses.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:59 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
I do not see that it changes anything.

I have paid $2 / liter for gasoline before, so the current pricing here is okay.

The majority of the price is taxes anyway.

Want cheaper gasoline? Convince government to shrink itself.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
Gasoline isn't a problem. We have a pretty efficient car and we limit travel. Heating is going to be expensive. I'm not sure how it's going to work out yet at $3 a gallon for home heating oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine