Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 PM

565 posts, read 935,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Check out Thermacell.

Sure it works if there is not much wind, however its fairly pricey to use regularly and has a small effective radius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 04:09 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Sure it works if there is not much wind, however its fairly pricey to use regularly and has a small effective radius.
In my experience, when there's too much wind for Thermacell there's been too much wind for black flies and mosquitoes. It's effective for 100 sq ft. The appliance and a holster were $25. This is the third year we've used one. At $8 a year, that's not expensive in my opinion. You can buy the mat and butane refills for $15 (four butane, 12 mats). One box of refills lasts me more than a year through spring through fall hunting, sitting out by the pond, etc.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Check out Thermacell.
I used one last year, while bulldozing through some woodland. I could easily tell the difference between when it was lit and compared to when it was not lit.

So far this year, I have not seen any biting insects.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I use either Repel with 100% DEET or Ben's 100, whichever is cheaper. I have used it since it first came out. It is great stuff. It works. I don't use much of it and put it mostly on my hat or the cuffs of my shirt and pants.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:53 PM

885 posts, read 1,494,999 times
I use Bens and it is quite effective.......my dad used to just spark up a big 'ol stoggie.........

Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I use Bens and it is quite effective.......my dad used to just spark up a big 'ol stoggie.........
Is it true that the best stoggies are short but not too big around?

I think I heard that somewhere"

"... Third boxcar, midnight train
Destination...Bangor, Maine.
Old worn out suits and shoes,
I don't pay no union dues,
I smoke old stogies I have found
Short, but not too big around
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road. ..."

hmm, Rooms to let for fifty cents. yeah right.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:39 PM

565 posts, read 935,391 times
black flies are really bad right now in knox county, deep woods off or the heavy deet version of repel seems to keep them from landing and biting, however I hate using this stuff daily

Quote:
In my experience, when there's too much wind for Thermacell there's been too much wind for black flies and mosquitoes. It's effective for 100 sq ft. The appliance and a holster were $25. This is the third year we've used one. At $8 a year, that's not expensive in my opinion. You can buy the mat and butane refills for $15 (four butane, 12 mats). One box of refills lasts me more than a year through spring through fall hunting, sitting out by the pond, etc.

We must sit outside for considerable different amounts of time. Wife and I went thru the 4 pack refill in weeks, using it 4-5 nights a week for a few hours at a time, also with some use random daytime use.

With thick skeeters or flies, even a small 5mph wind made our thermacell pretty useless, sure it would work, but no where near 100sq ft. more like 40 or 50, just enough for one person and only downwind from the cell'

Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 PM

35 posts, read 80,368 times
blackflies were alive and well in Mid-Maine...around Thursday evening....so I packed up and headed back south Sat night....will be back to camp in July..;-)

Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
...shoulda found a place to live closer to the ocean....or I guess you could try to create your own ocean breeze.
The coast has its own issues. The biggest being the horse fly. Unlike the deer fly which tends to target high, the horse fly targets low. Think legs, up your shorts, etc. It will bite high if low isn't available. I think the bite is more painful myself.

Then there is the mosquito, which loves the marshes around the coast. The worst mosquito spot I've ever seen was while flounder fishing in Scarborough when I was a kid. They were so thick it looked like fog.

For me, it's always DEET. Works everywhere but your nostrils, mouth, eyes and inside your ears. Repels ticks too, so that's a bonus.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:47 PM

393 posts, read 982,051 times
CAUTION: According to my vet, DEET is NOT safe to use on dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine